We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Using 1 band instead of 2 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8696 Posts

Profile of harris
For crazy man handcuffs.

Last night I decided to bring back my one band version. (I am guessing many others also have come up with this).

The band can penetrate a cup handle, then my thumb and finger...,

and then a spectator's closed thumb and finger.

The look in spectators eyes..., priceless

Working paid shows is wonderful. The gig for the Dream Factory on Saturday was even better. Usually the puppets are the most talked about after... that night it was the Strait Jacket...(recently brought out of retirement).
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Jia Truong
View Profile
New user
Australia
38 Posts

Profile of Jia Truong
Interesting. I haven't seen it performed this way. Is there a performance video?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Excellent choice Harris. This trick usually fools magicians.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
800 Posts

Profile of meyegr
Quote:
On 2009-10-09 10:42, Al Angello wrote:
Excellent choice Harris. This trick usually fools magicians.

Serious?
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2787 Posts

Profile of John Long
It is possible to use the CMH method to have a rubber band penetrate other objects, however, the visual discrepancy is more obvious, and would need to be covered.

The linking of a band, instead of an unlinking would not have this limitation. (check out Link!) for versions of this.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1638 Posts

Profile of Futureal
As Ammar states in his manuscript, the reason why CMH is so devastating is that when the bands are actually unlinked, they still appear to be linked.

Doing the trick with only one band and using a cup handle or a finger or a playing card with a hole in it etc doesn't provide this, and you lose the visual "melting through" effect of the original.

Just a thought.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8696 Posts

Profile of harris
I have been to many lectures by Ammar who is a great teacher.

I love the way the bands still look linked and then (Shazam) are not.

Don't know the theory with one band, but I do know the look on peoples faces when the band penetrates their closed finger and thumb. (perhaps this is set up by doing it suspiciously with my own hand first)

On my possible shopping list: Dinosaur or Star Rubber Bands.....(see other Café threads on these interesting props)

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
I share the opinion of Futureal in 100 % !

Often we (and so do I) think, a change makes something better and we are so proud of our idea that we do not realize, it became worse.

Of course in the first months an effect exists there will appear a lot of new ideas and some of them will improve the effect. But after so much years of being performed by so much magicians it is not very probably (although it is possible) that a change will improve an effect.

Angelo
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1483 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
I think Etienne Pradier deos the unlinking with one band and the stem of a wine glass. The glass tube does an interesting visual distorsion that can, in the proper angle, reproduce the optical illusion that we can obtain with two rubberbands (sort of...)
Jonathan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Using 1 band instead of 2 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL