We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Haunted, Ghost Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

paradize
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
398 Posts

Profile of paradize
Hi Guys,

Anyone here doing Haunted, Ghost Magic. Especially for halloween.
I need some ideas on what we can peform for stage acts.
Please guide.
Magic is the residue of pre-design fantasies.
Come into my Fantasy www.chandranmagic.com
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Tarbell volume 2
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3506 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Below are a few classic effects I’ve adapted for Ghostly or Halloween shows:
-Light and Heavy Chest
-Spirit Key
-Rope Through Body
-Flexible Mirror
-Genie Bottle
-Psychic Touch
-Losander Table

Eugene Burger’s “Spirit Theatre” and almost any of Robert Neale’s books will provide more ideas and inspirations.

Magically,
Walt
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3645 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Nothing like a good ole head or hand chopper. You can also do the Zombie using a skull or pumpkin.

Jim
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I used to do a flaming chest and a dancing cane by strobe-light
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
paradize
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
398 Posts

Profile of paradize
Wow, we have a list here. Thanks a lot to all.

-Light and Heavy Chest
-Spirit Key
-Rope Through Body
-Flexible Mirror
-Genie Bottle
-Psychic Touch
-Losander Table
-Head or hand chopper
-Flaming chest
-Dancing cane by strobe-light
- Spirit Slates
- Spirit Cabinet
paradize
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
398 Posts

Profile of paradize
(List updated)

Wow, we have a list here. Thanks a lot to all.

-Light and Heavy Chest
-Spirit Key
-Rope Through Body
-Flexible Mirror
-Genie Bottle
-Psychic Touch
-Losander Table
-Head or hand chopper
-Flaming chest
-Dancing cane by strobe-light
- Spirit Slates
- Spirit Cabinet
- Zombie Ball using Skull
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1862 Posts

Profile of Anatole
P%A Silks at
http://www.pasilks.com/
have a few Happy Halloween message silk effects in their catalog, which you can download from
http://www.pasilks.com/pasilks-price-list-2007.pdf

I think you can buy the silk by itself or as a 20th century or blendo routine at http://www.pasilks.com/blendo-design.html

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1862 Posts

Profile of Anatole
In addition to silk effects for Halloween, there was once a mismade skeleton effect (similar to strat-o-spheres but with a skeleton divided into three sections). You might also consider a simple slate writing routine for a ghost to write a message on. I think there's an "Instant Painting" insert of a haunted house that would be appropriate. You might be able to do Steve Duschek's "Waltzing Matilda" as a ghost.

One of my favorite routines was to vanish a 9" silk and have it "reappear" in a peanut brittle can. Use a white silk and make the "ghiost" disappear.

I've always liked the "haunted book" effect where the pages turn all by themselves. I remember finding it explained in a book of theater special effects.

Too bad that the Addams Family is no longer on TV. You could do the Atomic Light Bulb in memory of Uncle Fester.

Abbott's sells the Vampire Block at
http://abbottmagic.com/Vampire-Block-ABBvampbk.htm

(Thinking up all these ideas takes me back to when I was a demonstrator in The Magic Shop in Norfolk, VA--helping customers to find just the right effect for their acts or shows. Those were the good ol' days.)

----- Sonny

You could do Fraidy Cat Rabbit and patter about how the rabbit was scared by all the monster costumes on Halloween. (There was actually a rip-off of Fraidy Cat Rabbit called "Pinky the Spook" or something like that. How about a Glopry effect, too?
----- Sonny Narvaez
chrispa1
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of chrispa1
Quote:
On 2009-10-21 20:33, Anatole wrote:

I've always liked the "haunted book" effect where the pages turn all by themselves. I remember finding it explained in a book of theater special effects.

Any idea if anyone is selling that anywhere?
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1862 Posts

Profile of Anatole
The haunted book is relatively easy to make. I made one for the students to use at my school as a way to do TV special effects for a math problem-solving program we called "Mathemagic." Since this is a theater effect rather than a magic effect, maybe it will be okay to explain it here. If not, I apologize for revealing the "secret."

1. Open the book to the middle so that the pages lie flat.
2. Cut a small (maybe 1/4 inch) slit in the side of the long edge of each page you want to turn.
3. Get a spool of monofilament thread. Cut a piece long enough to go from wherever the book will be lying to wherever a concealed confederate (or yankee if you can't find a confederate) is standing. Tie a knot in the end of the thread. Then tie additional knots at intervals slightly less than the width of the book if you want the pages to turn as if the wind is blowing them. The greater the distance between the knots, the "stronger" the wind will seem to be.
4. Slide the knot at the free end of the thread into the slit. Turn the page so that the thread is pulled across the two pages. Tie another knot at a point not quite the width of the two open pages. Slide this knot into the second slit.
5. Continue with as many knots and slits as you need for as many pages as you want to turn.

When the time comes to animate the pages, have the confederate just turn the pages. When the last page has turned, the confederate just pulls the last knot free of the last page.

You should be able to work out on your own how to rig a book so that four pages turn and the book lies with the pages flat until you want more pages to turn. We used the method described above for the opening credits of the TV show and then again for the closing credits.

In place of a book we sometimes used an open scrapbook because it was easier to get a scrapbook to lie flat and as a librarian I always taught the kids not to mutilate books.

----- Sonny Narvaez
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1862 Posts

Profile of Anatole
For more Halloween/magic-related ideas, you might also want to check around for Robert Friedhoffer's book _How to Haunt a House." Amazon lists copies from less than $5.00.

A lot of magic shops often carry Halloween supplies and may have some books on Halloween activities that might be appropriate. You might also check the pulic library. Spencer Gift stores in malls sometimes have a good supply of Halloween-related items. Remember the Kevin James severed hand?

----- Sonny Narvaez
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Anatole,

Thanks a bunch for posting the pages turning tutorial. I'll be trying that myself! Smile

My current Halloween show has several Halloween effects, even if not all ghostly... (some are more ghastly!) Among them:

1) A modified version of KJ's arm illusion
2) A severed head puppet
3) Zombie character performing multiplying eyeballs and a floating giant eyeball (a zombie's Zombie!) A table that the "zombie" uses looks like a tombstone.
4) Rod Through Body (staking the vampire)
5) Arm Amputation

Re: Vaudeville Pandemic

In the past, I have used many other things like Arm Choppers and a Head Cremation.

But, the tricks and props don't need to be "blood-related". There are many Halloween decorations and ready made props out there that can easily be converted into "Halloween Magic" props. I've seen a number of small puppet-like goblins, and such that could easily be substituted for the rabbit in the rabbit-in-hat puppet. Let the monster find the chosen card or restore the rope.

Any levitated item can be attributed to a ghost (Airborn Glass, etc.) Rising Cards can also be spirit-like.

How about smoke in goblet?

Spellbinder has a lot of great ideas on his website, too. Mostly for the DIY guys, that adds to the fun. Definitely worth a look!

I have also made a number of Halloween items as part of my product line (some of which may be found on my website). These include:

Vampire Block
Spider Box Card Rise
Halloween Card Rise Chest
Spider Web Square Circle

Several more items are in the works, so save up for next year! Smile

One of my fun favorite pieces is Bob Kline's "Graveyard Ghost". A wooden skeleton reaches into a deck of cards and pulls up the selected card. Cool piece!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1862 Posts

Profile of Anatole
For many years, I've been doing a Dracula packet trick based on one of the ace vanishes from the Vernon McDonald's Aces routine. It was originally published in an issue of IBM Ring 103's newsletter, _The Wizard's Eye_. I often featured it in my Halloween close-up shows.

In essence you take a packet of cards from a flap card box that has been decorated with wood grain Contact(tm) paper to look like a coffin. The top card of the packet has a picture of Dracula on it. You apparently turn the Dracula card face down and deal it to the table. The remaining four cards are seen to be simple crucifixes that you deal below, above, and to the left and right of the face down card. I use the Olram subtlety to give the impression that the faces and backs of all the cruficix cards are seen. I patter about how Dracula can assume many shapes... a bat, a wolf, even the form of a dustmote riding on a moonbeam. Although it looks like we have trapped Dracula... the Prince of Darkness has escaped... (turn the face down card over to show the blank card)... and returned to his coffin. (As I open the card box to reveal that Dracula has returned, I ventriloquise a creaking noise like a rusty coffin opening.) I end the routine by simply repeating "Dracula! The Prince of Darkness!" as I remove the card.

I originally published this trick in _The Wizard's Eye_, the newsletter for IBM Ring 103 in Norfolk.

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Arm box, "slice of hand" works well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVp8qjg2MFI

The second part was at my Halloween banquet.

and when I do the Dancing cane by strobe light, I wear a glow in the dark hooded mask and a long cape.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Haunted, Ghost Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL