The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Does Card College 5 live up to hype? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
hnegash
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of hnegash
By now many of you have purchased the book, and you have had the weekend to go through it. So what do you guys think of the book? Is the material in the book good, solid stuff, or is it just fluff? I'm curious as to what you think.
submagi
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of submagi
I don't have it, but from what people say about vols. 1-4, I'm sure this has to be good...
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
In my opinion, it doesn't.

Personally, I found a lot of the effects to be too similar and too drawn-out for my liking. It contains a lot of ace productions which really didn't seem to add anything to the vast number of them already out there.

A lot of the tricks involved too much counting and work on the part of the spectators. The worst trick in the book was basically a card version of the old "think of a number, double it, add two..." trick.

There were one or two items in there which I tried, but after sitting down with all of them on my own, I was very unimpressed with the quality of it.

I'm sure this wasn't his intention, but the book has a real "I made a lot of money out of books 1 to 4, so let's put out a fifth one so I can buy a new yacht" feel to it.

This is not a typical Card College book in that it is a book of card tricks with a couple of random tools in there. If you're looking for a book of tricks, I would recommend something else. If you want a book to rival the original Card Colleges, this is not it.
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
Adam, just a question: is there any new sleight or move invented by Giobbi that makes the book worth it? Or are there just tricks with theory?

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I respectfully disagree with Adam, although I can understand his position. The original question asked if the material was good, solid stuff. I would have to say that it is. It's not the greatest book of card effects ever, but it is good, solid stuff, with no garbage. There are a number of very strong effects. I would have to agree that it doesn't attain the level of excellence of the other four volumes, though. I would say that they are all superior, 10 on a scale of 1-10, while I would give volume 5 an 8.5 to 9 out of 10--still an excellent rating and a lot better than most of the stuff out there.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Pablo, other than tricks, there are a few other tools you could use. For example, there's an overhand shuffle stacking method, a way of duplicating a spectator's signature, a gambler's peek, and some others...nothing rivalling any of his other volumes, however.

A fair comment, Scott. From my own performing point of view, there were a lot of effects that I would class as pure garbage. While I have never seen Giobbi perform, the way he writes suggests that he is a very timid performer. In a lot of his write-ups it also seems like he's terrified of offending somebody every step of the way. While I certainly understand the desire to not offend your audience, to me it seems as if he would be a very weak performer (and I have heard from other people that he is). I prefer a stronger style of performance so his style rubs against mine.

One point in his favour, however, is you can tell that all of the routines in there have been audience-tested by him. While I hated a lot of tricks, I could tell that there was nothing in there that was filler. He is very thorough and a lot of the comments he made led me to think about a lot of things. You could just tell that every effect in there were ones that _worked for him_. So I am certainly not criticising him for his choice of effects.

I suppose I can make two separate recommendations here.

1) If you like the tricks that Giobbi has included in his other volumes, then get this book.

2) If you didn't like the tricks, don't get the book.

To me the book was a disappointment. It's like watching a movie that you love, only to discover that somebody has made a sequel which is awful. If you're planning on buying it, think about the two suggestions I made. It might save you some hassle.
Card Sheister
View Profile
Regular user
Ninja
182 Posts

Profile of Card Sheister
Yeah, Adam, I was not happy with the tricks in any of the Card Colleges...I thought the effects were pretty crappy.

My favourite effects probably come from Expert Card Technique...it has some great ideas in there...some very magical ideas.
indianajones
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of indianajones
So it is a solid book with regards to sleights, but falls short when it comes to tricks?
Jonatan B
View Profile
Veteran user
Gothenburg, Sweden
342 Posts

Profile of Jonatan B
I don't have the fifth book (only 1 and 2). I must say that I love the tricks of the other books, but I actually hate the routines. He mentions that you should build your own, so that is what I do...
Jonatan Bank
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
859 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
Michael Close raves about the Card to Wallet effect. I would like to hear a second opinion...anyone?
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2003-06-09 07:13, Card Sheister wrote:
Yeah, Adam, I was not happy with the tricks in any of the Card Colleges...I thought the effects were pretty crappy.

My favourite effects probably come from Expert Card Technique...it has some great ideas in there...some very magical ideas.

Wow. It's amazing how differently two people can see the same thing...

Giobbi has well thought out handlings of effects by Vernon/Daily (a hybrid of Twisting the Aces and Dr.Daily's Last Trick), Paul Harris (ReSet), Marlo (Miracle Aces), Jennings (Spectator Cuts The Aces) and convincing and simple methods for stacking a winning hand for the person chosen by an audience member from a spectator-shuffled deck which may be borrowed. Plus he follows it with a method that allows you an instant repeat of the effect, dealing the same hand to a different spectator.

Those sure seem like strong effects to me.
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
There are definitely some great effects in the Card College series. In fact, one of my favourites is "The Two Detectives" from volume 3. However, my point is that the majority of effects did not appeal to me.

Indianajones, I cannot recommend volumes 1 - 4 highly enough. They are brilliant books. However, if you get volume 5 just for the sleights, you will be disappointed.
mentalism101
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
105 Posts

Profile of mentalism101
Giobbi has well thought out handlings of effects by Vernon/Daily (a hybrid of Twisting the Aces and Dr.Daily's Last Trick), Paul Harris (ReSet), Marlo (Miracle Aces), Jennings (Spectator Cuts The Aces) and..."

Do we really need more handlings of these tricks?

Scott
Card Sheister
View Profile
Regular user
Ninja
182 Posts

Profile of Card Sheister
Indeed we do not!
Jim Robinson
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of Jim Robinson
These books are just full of classics and the material in number 5 is very good. The Daley "Stop" trick is precious and Giobbi's handling of the Christ Ace Trick is very good. More importantly, it gives quite a lesson in staging a card routine.

The mathematical trick that others call the worst trick in the book: read this and learn how to use psychology and scripting to turn something with a run-of-the-mill methodology into a mystery. Giobbi's valuable lessons did not come to an end in volume 4 (at least not for those willing to study).

One of the ace productions is sharp and a great way of quickly introducing the aces for another routine.

The material in every volume of Card College, including number five, runs from the quick and easy to the multi-phasic and heroic. How can you dislike all of it?

Giobbi has written a series of books that I wish I could have written. Go study them, each and every one.
Robinson.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.... He to who this emotion is a stranger ... is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert Einstein
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2003-06-09 19:54, mentalism101 wrote:
Giobbi has well thought out handlings of effects by Vernon/Daily (a hybrid of Twisting the Aces and Dr.Daily's Last Trick), Paul Harris (ReSet), Marlo (Miracle Aces), Jennings (Spectator Cuts The Aces) and..."

Do we really need more handlings of these tricks?

Well...(everybody now) it depends.

Do these new handlings add anything significant? Do they improve the tricks in someway? Or are they "just variations" -- substituting one technique for another and calling it "new"?

Given Giobbi's reputation, I'm very interested in checking out what he's done with these effects. If you've seen his lecture video you could say he "just does" the Card to Wallet, Open Prediction, Sponge Balls, etc. You could say the first four books "just described" existing techniques. But then, if you've actually watched the video or read the books, I'd bet you realize there's a lot more going on than "just variations." I have no reason to think that CC5 is any different.

I'll be picking it up this week, most likely.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of Logan
I recently got CC2 and I think it's a nice volume and I wish to get the rest of the series.
The sleights taught are very worthwhile learning and he gives the many different variations of it, like the Palming section had so much material of how to replace the palmed card, what to do whilst having a card palmed and how to deal with the 'guilt'. I know that all these 'little' things are the most important and I'm glad he went into a lot of trouble into detailing them and getting the message through. This makes me wonder about the quality of Vol. 5 - it should be just as good if not better right?

The effects in the book (Vol. 2) I think are OK but again, I haven't had much time to explore though. I think I would like to have a peek at Vol 5 regardless Smile

Take care,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
That sounds fair enough. I probably would have wound up buying CC5 anyway just to complete my collection.

Remember guys, I'm just giving my own personal opinions here. I don't know why some of you think I dislike everything in all of them. As I said, I love CC1-4. I think they're the absolute best resource for card magic out there. But I do not like Giobbi's choice of effects (in all of the books) so I did not really get a lot out of CC5. I never said I didn't like all of the effects, I just said that I don't like most of them.

There are a lot of magicians out there with 'variations' of classic effects. It all depends on which magician you like the best as to who you go to. As I've stated I don't really like Giobbi's effects so I didn't really card much for his variations. However as I've also stated before, if you like Giobbi's effects then you will love this book.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Card Sheister wrote:
"I thought the effects were pretty crappy."

I opined that I thought the effects were good and the handlings well thought out.

To which Mentaism101/Scott wrote:
"Do we really need more handlings of these tricks?"

To which Card Sheister replied:
"Indeed we do not!"

Card Sheister,
I'm not sure what your opinion is... You seem to be saying these plots are not good. If the effects are crappy why are there already so many variations in print? Surely if the effects were no good cardmen wouldn't be spending so much time on them?

If you're saying you like other handlings better than Giobbi's I understand that as everyone has their own tastes but do you really think none of the EFFECTS in Card College are any good?

Scott,
Perhaps you misunderstand Giobbi's intent. Unlike many of the books of varient card magic out there everything in the Card College series is material he did and does perform for lay audiences. He published his handlings of familier plots because that's what he uses and what he has a right to publish.

Since the intent of the series was to teach card magic from the ground up he included plots that MOST card men already know. Just as when you study literature they teach Marlowe and Shakespeare, Giobbi teaches the alphabet of card work (the "moves") and the stories that have proven classic over time.

cheers
bill
DJP
View Profile
Veteran user
London
391 Posts

Profile of DJP
And so what if these are handlings are similar to the classics...?

Some of the younger generation on a low buget (i.e myself) can learn the classic effects without breaking the bank from buying lots books from different authors. e.g Jennings and Marlo.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in learning from the original texts however when it comes down to it, money does rule our purchases.

Dave
David
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Does Card College 5 live up to hype? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL