The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Does Card College 5 live up to hype? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1954 Posts

Profile of alexhui
I got CC5 and think it is worth my money.

First, in terms of the quality of the tricks, I would only give 7 out of 10. It is because I think the impact of the effects in the book is not so strong. BUT, in terms of the inspiration and information you can get from the book, I'd like to give 9.5 out of 10. The book is really well-written and you can learn lots of 'real secrets' from the book. I learn a lot from the book and I really enjoy the reading.
I give my high recommendation! (I didn't recieve any money from Mr Giobbi Smile )

Alex
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
NoahJLevine
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of NoahJLevine
Adam V, I have seen Mr. Giobbi perform (live) and I have to say he is an absolutely fabulous performer. Funny, charming and strong. You mention him seeming timid about offending people. Maybe he values having happy comfortable spectators. This is a bit of a contrast to all the magicians who think that its okay to insult their spectators as much as they want. As to the value of the book, it contains his versions of: the christ aces, Kaps card to box and the color changing deck case closed.

Noah Levine
antonuccio
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
130 Posts

Profile of antonuccio
CC5 is different from the previous releases. I think it's great, not only for the effects explained (fantastic, by the way), but for the structure that Giobbi applies into his magic. In a word: astounding.
Regards.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I took several card books with me on a 2 week vacation. Here are my brief impressions:
Card College 5- If this was one of the first books on card magic that one read, I think the reader would be satisfied with the material. However, compared with other books on card magic the effects are just more of the same with nothing terribly original or worthy of putting in my repertoire. The detail of the explanations is excellent. I rate this book a 6 on a 1-10 scale.
The Paper Engine is a book that IMO contains a paucity of usable effects. The half pass described in excruciating detail is no better than other techniques that are available. The best thing I can say about the book is the cover is very attractive. I give it a 4 out of 10
Card Conspiracy I is an excellent book (spiral bound). Great material on Biddle Force, Daly's Delight finally explained correctly, Goodwin Force, Hummer's CATO, Gilbreath Principle etc. Great practical and usable material. I am looking forward to Vol 2. I give it an 8.5 out of 10. By comparison Scams and Fantasies is a 9 out of 10.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1504 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Do we really need more handlings of these tricks?
Scott

Indeed we do not!
Card Sheister

Without variations there would be a lot of good magic that could never have existed. Paul Harris' "Reset" is a variation of a John Hamman trick called Underground Transposition. Correct me if I'm wrong but there are a few people who like that trick. Earl Nelson, one of the most respected close up magicians living today published a book that just about every pro raves about. It's title? "Variations."
Think McFly...think.
The Card to Wallet was a variation. 3-Fly is a variation. Charming Chinese Challenge is a variation of ring and string.
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Quote:
On 2003-06-14 23:54, NoahJLevine wrote:
Adam V, I have seen Mr. Giobbi perform (live) and I have to say he is an absolutly fabulous performer. Funny, Charming and strong.

If that's how you feel about him then please don't let my feelings change yours. Personally I find him bland to watch, but then again my favourite magicians is Jerry Sadowitz so that should give you an idea of where my tastes lie.

Quote:
You mention him seeming timid about offending people. Maybe he values having happy comfortable spectators. This is a bit of a contrast to all the magicians who think that its okay to insult their spectators as much as they want.

I think that's probably it a little too far. You seem to be suggesting that there are only two kinds of magicians, those that insult everybody in sight and those that treat their audiences like scared little squirrels. While I certainly think it's wrong to insult your audience (except in certain cases of course, there are a few magicians who can really pull this off without offending anybody) I think it's just as wrong to go the other way. I'm not talking about being insulting, I'm talking about having a bit of an 'edge'. Give me Penn and Teller over Paul Daniels any day.
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
NoahJLevine
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of NoahJLevine
First of all when did you see him perform? Secondly, I think that even if you choose to have an edge it is good to be fully aware of your words and actions . You bring up Penn and Teller ( who happen to be my favorite magicians). It's good that they have an edge but I'd be concerned about how that kind of edge would work in the kinds of settings that many people including Mr. Giobbi work in.

Noah Levine
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
From what I have read of Giobbi's work it sounds like his audiences are much more "refined and well-behaved" than most magicians are used to. So in that environment I am sure that his style goes down well. However that doesn't change the fact that I would probably fall asleep during one of his shows. I am not "refined and well-behaved" so I would much rather see Penn and Teller.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
"Refined and well-behaved" people are just as capable of being bored as anyone else (and for the same reasons). I've never seen Giobbi perform, but I highly respect what he's done for magic with the Card College series. But what I look for in a performer is not 'edge' nor 'sophistication' but charm. I want to like them. Whether they achieve that through great class or great eccentricity is irrelevant to me.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Quote:
On 2003-07-04 03:29, marko wrote:
I've never seen Giobbi perform, but I highly respect what he's done for magic with the Card College series.

As do I. The fact that I dislike him as a performer has nothing to do with my respect for the Card College series. I don't believe I stated otherwise.
NoahJLevine
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of NoahJLevine
Adam V, why did you bring up his performance style if it has nothing to do with how you feel about his series. Also I'm confused about whether you have seen him perform or not. In one post you seem to state that you have and in another you seem to state that you haven't.

Noah Levine
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
I just reread the post you're referring to and you're absolutely right in being confused, so am I. I meant it would seem to me that he would be considered a weak performer by others, but then I changed my view by realising that not everybody else has the same tastes as me (what a shock!).

My comments about his style were in regards to his choice of effects and the way he suggests performing. It's irritating how you can post a negative review of something while clearly stating that you have tremendous respect for a person and people still think you're attacking him. Language problems of the internet I guess...
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I never thought you were attacking him, Adam. Seemed to me you were saying that his selection of effects was not your cup of tea, and that if his performance matched your interpretation of his write-ups, you would not find it particularly exciting. Fair enough. You also seemed to say, more than once, that this was just your opinion and others might find him very entertaining and his material excellent. MORE than fair enough.

Some people are bound to love it, while others will hate it. Fine. As long as you aren't personally attacking him, which Adam definitely is NOT (even though I personally disagree with him, as I stated in an earlier post), you are free to say what you think and why.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Thank you, Scott.
anthonyb
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of anthonyb
Reading through the comments on this book it does appear to me that mostly those who like it show more concern, logic and thinking in their replies than the detractors. Particularly those who also denigrate the effects in the earlier books en bloc.
Anthony Brahams
www.thecairnpress.com
peterdgr8
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of peterdgr8
Card College as I understand was intended to be a great course in the fundamentals of card magic unlike any other to this point. And I think Giobbi has succeeded. The course teaches technique and provides classic examples of effects that utilize the newly learned technique. Are they the latest and greatest examples? No. But are they solid and indisuputable for someone who is still in the process of learning to ..if you'll excuse the pun, get a better grip on the craft? Absolutely. Yes he tweaks some of the handlings of great effects. Who hasn't? We all do. The literature is filled with variations. The point Giobbi was trying to achieve was not whether you have the exact handling of the original script, but whether you learned solid sleights. And he continues this theme into Book 5 as well where there are a few additional afterthought sleights that weren't included in the first four tomes along with some effects for those who'd come this far to add and modify to their repertoire as they see fit. Hopefully, ready to spring forth and dive into the other books that have been posted here from the likes of Jennings, Bannon, Ortiz and Dingle, et. al. With no fears. And only the joy of knowing that nothing is no longer the impossibility it was before they undertook Giobbi's masterful series.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Does Card College 5 live up to hype? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL