The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Suitcase Challenge (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
For the last couple of years, I have redesigned one of my stage shows to be as portable and commercial as possible. Essentially, I want this show to fit inside two large suitcases that can be checked as regular luggage, with anything fragile being taken in a carry-on bag. In addition to this, I've tried to ensure that the effects I travel with are not overly angle sensitive so as to play in as many performing environments as possible. To limit the selection process even further, I should mention that the effects assume I don't work with an assistant. Some of the effects I have included are:

1. Cube Squared
2. Straight Jacket
3. Linking Rings
4. Sword through Neck
5. Floating Table
6. Human Phone Number
In addition to this, I also pack a tri-pod backdrop system, wireless microphone, netbook computer and P.A. system. Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1903 Posts

Profile of chmara
Packs small, plays big -- eh?

If your persona allows you to work well with audience members the Seabrook Bill in wallet routine -- or a bill in lemon is great, You might want to think in terms of knife through coat but not for carry-on in the USA.

I have two copies of Pavel's Super walking knot I am about to list for sale -- they have filled the stage in my act and involved spectators -- and pack as a piece of rope.

I also recommend (and often use as a mentalism opening) Maven's jumbo B'wave jumbo cards. Also the stage sized mechanical 3 card montes play welland themedium sized ones can be leaned against a suitcase on a table,,,,

If you have dexterity the multiplying golf balls offer several approaches.

Also- at Stevens magic (get a coupe of sets) their six bill (USA bills) repeat has at least 3 minutes of fun.....

A nukber of slk effects come to mind too.

Hope this helps
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Hi Chmara,

Great suggestions! I work extensively with multiplying balls, but I didn't include them in my list due to a concern over angles. As some of the venues for this kind of "commando" show may have unprotected side angles, the multiplying balls became a concern for me.

I also love performing the Walking Knot routine. I could really see this playing well in the "commando" show, but I would need to figure out where to tie the ends of the rope. Currently, I'm using two microphone stands. This adds a lot of weight and bulk to the luggage and so, I'm hoping to be able to replace them with something else with a professional look and feel.

Incidentally, if I use an assistant, my luggage allowance doubles and so, I also include the Jim Sommer's Sword Basket in the show. This is the only sword basket I have found that breaks down for transport and fits in a suit case. The remaining suitcase is then used for my visible sawing with table.

When you add it all up, there's a lot of magic crammed into 4 pieces of checked in luggage!

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Device and Illusion by Jim Steinmeyer for your walking Knot needs, also a beautiful confetti transposition, and a needle swallowing...

The Conjuring Anthology, full of tricks exactly for what you describe.

The Magic of Alan Wakeling, Also full of brilliant stage/parlor material.

J
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
How about the lemon game (minus the briefcase), the pain game, bottled up, Newspaper tear and restore, Boulevard 54 to name a few. These all pack small and play huge. Also a medium sized mental epic.

My 2 cents,
Patrick

Good luck putting the show together.

Posted: Sep 29, 2009 2:44am
Oh I forgot to add linking rings, vanishing bandana, growing/shrinking head and vanishing ketchup bottle.

There DONE,
Patrick
blackandwhiteillusions
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of blackandwhiteillusions
The Magellan Levitation Although you'll have angle issues. Packs small enough though.

http://www.magellanlevitation.com/

Christian
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
The newspaper tear and a vanishing bottle would be great additions! Also, since Byudad got me thinking about Romhany's products, how about his Dream Prediction? Is it very angle sensitive from the sides?

I also love the Magellan Levitation, but (in addition to the angle issue) I'm a little concerned about the added weight to the luggage. That's also one of the other things I forgot to mention. Airlines restrict the weight of each checked in bag to less than 50 pounds.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
blackandwhiteillusions
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of blackandwhiteillusions
That's true, I've been getting hit with some big fees traveling the past 6 months. a couple pounds over they're charging $100 for that bag.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Not too long ago, I was hired to perform an illusion show that required a short flight to a city several hours away. It was actually cheaper for me to buy and extra ticket than to pay for the extra luggage!

By the way, here's a tip for anyone travelling with speaker stands, banner stands or tripod backdrop systems. Pack them in a hard sided golf travel bag. Although the golf bag is technically an "oversized" item, the airlines don't charge extra for it so long as the bag remains under 50 pounds.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Billy McComb always traveled with a suitbag and briefcase as carry-on.

The briefcase contained six different half-hour shows, with each trick in its own plastic baggie, and all the effects in a show, including any expendables, placed in a larger baggie with contents listed on the bag.

He walked onto the cruise ship with three hours of stage material and his tux, even if he lost all his checked baggage.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Snowstorm in China is another great pack small and play big trick.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1166 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Hi Kent,

Kent already has one of the older versions of the Magellan levitation, if I'm not mistaken.

The Magellan is the epitome of suitcase closers. I've built my whole suitcase act around this one effect being the closer.

I traveled to Chicago last year, on a test run, and packed my Magellan, with the rest of my act, including Choppo, Rabbit out of the Hat, wireless with receiver, much more, and clothes. The suitcase still weighed in at under the 50 lb. limit, since the Magellan only weighs less than 20 lbs.

I can use the Magellan in almost any indoor situation. Even if I have to work it out of a corner of a room, that's okay... The angles are great, and there are things that you can do to improve them. But, it takes spontaneity and creativity.

Outdoor festivals are tougher, but I can still use it most of the time. Just not under heavy wind conditions. Remember, in many venues, the wind will die down as the sun sets. That opens up many possibilities.

I would not tell an outdoor venue that I was going to do a levitation effect before hand, since I might have to leave it out of the show. Besides, living in Texas, I would just prefer to not do outdoor shows.

But, just the chance to use a showstopper like the Magellan is an opportunity that I hate to pass up.

Christian is right, this one is great for this type of traveling act!

Thanks,

Jimmy
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3008 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
A Ring, Watch, Wallet routine (I just purchased Mugged from Chmara, and can't say enough about it) packs small and is truly magical.

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 4:34pm
Another suggestion: Magic Ian's Dances with Ropes routine packs smaller than the Super Walking Knot, but features about as much magic as you could hope to get out of ropes.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Rising card note pad, Magicians insurance policy with a card in wallet routine, Arm chopper, and sponge balls.
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
Cards across, Thought transmitter(Egg beater)
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
A few more effects that would pack small!!!

Silk to Egg
Color Changing Silks
Cardiographic
Picto Transpo
Cut & Restored Rope
Bank Night by Osterlind
Dream Bags
Miser's Dream
Color Changing Vest

Happy Holidays!!!

Walking Bob in Iowa
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
I recently bought a Dan Harlan pack small mentalism video. I have another few suggestions.

Tossed out deck
Mind your Hands
Deja Voo Doo
Newspaper Prediction
Any Book Test

Patrick
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1434 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Check out a guy named Nate Staniforth. That guy is the king of packs small plays big!
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1177 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Incredible Suit Jacket Escape: packs to nothing, lite weight, angle proof, can be performed for all types of audiences and is just plain funny.

http://www.billabbottmagic.com/online-st......ape.html
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Cereal Killers is another good one.

Patrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Suitcase Challenge (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL