The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Suitcase Challenge (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
New Zealand
798 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
Hi Kent
My entire life is based around a show that can pack small and play big. If you look at a lot of the magic I produce it's all about packing small and playing big. Having been on cruise ships for so many years I have managed to get two full 45 minute shows down to one suitcase, which includes enough clothes for 3 weeks and my costume etc. Today, the cruise lines aren't big on paying excess luggage so magicians have to re-think any larger stuff. The 45 minute Chaplin show is designed to pack small and play big because I travel with it all over the world, and getting a magic act in to some countries isn't that easy:) In one year the airlines lost and misplaced my bags 14 times, I still had to perform a 45 minute show. In the end I put together my 'back' up act that can pretty much fit in to my carry on backpack. Of course you have to be careful what you put in there. They won't even let you take 'rope' on a plane now.

Here is the act I take that takes up no space:
My colour changing hanky routine, is a great pack small and play big example. Fits nicely in my bag pack, yet gets a good reaction, is entertaining and plays big.
My Rope Routine (I've been known to get rope at a gig when my luggage is lost!)
Big Ten - my burnt dollar note routine
Artists Dream - again packs small and plays very big
Dream Prediction - great way to finish a show
There is 30 minutes just there.

All of the above fits in to my carry on - I have a few other things I do if I need to do 45 minutes but it gives you the general idea.

Billy McComb was a master of being able to pack small and play big - other great acts that come to mind include TC Tahoe, Michael Finney,Nick Lewin to name just a few. Look at what makes them so popular and I think we'll all agree it's their persona and 'character'.

Re Dream Prediction - this is one of those items I always take with me. If you get Dream Prediction Lite you'll get the new booklet and DVD which will give you lots of different ideas including ways to enable you to perform it 'almost' surrounded. I perform it cabaret, cruise ships, private shows etc and have never been concerned about angles. I came up with an idea which is in the booklet and DVD where I show you a way to show both sides of envelope making it 'almost' possible to do it with people on all sides.

Wish you all the best. We are heading back to Vancouver July and part of August as I am performing at the Magic Castle and one or two conventions - we also will head up to Vancouver and hopefully do a lecture or two in Canada.
"life is like a movie ... you write your own ending" - Kermit the Frog

http://extrememagicmakeover.com

http://www.paulromhany.com
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Don't forget Happy Faces 2. That is a great trick for kids.
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Quote:
On 2009-09-29 16:15, Whit Haydn wrote:
Billy McComb always traveled with a suitbag and briefcase as carry-on.

The briefcase contained six different half-hour shows, with each trick in its own plastic baggie, and all the effects in a show, including any expendables, placed in a larger baggie with contents listed on the bag.

He walked onto the cruise ship with three hours of stage material and his tux, even if he lost all his checked baggage.

6 different 30 min.shows in a briefcase? What routines were in those shows?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22736 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-01-22 10:47, dlcmagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-09-29 16:15, Whit Haydn wrote:
Billy McComb always traveled with a suitbag and briefcase as carry-on.

The briefcase contained six different half-hour shows, with each trick in its own plastic baggie, and all the effects in a show, including any expendables, placed in a larger baggie with contents listed on the bag.

He walked onto the cruise ship with three hours of stage material and his tux, even if he lost all his checked baggage.

6 different 30 min.shows in a briefcase? What routines were in those shows?

I would suggest you do a search on the internet for Billy McComb. You will see his tricks he has mastered during his life.
Gypsy Thread
Coin in Bottle
Sponge Balls
Bill in Lemon
Hank with 7 corners
Whiskey Egg Bag
Koran/Himber Linking Finger rings
From just his particle list you can see that these will fit in your pocket, now you find the rest and see how you can fill a briefcase.
MagicMoney
View Profile
New user
The World of Magic
12 Posts

Profile of MagicMoney
[quote]On 2011-01-22 12:42, wmhegbli wrote:
[quote]
Bill,
Why do you have your P.M.'s turned off?
jonathandupree
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of jonathandupree
I have a 22' Pelican case and carry it on plane. In it is:
Cable Mask
Linking Rings
Cups N Balls
5 Card Opener
Celebrity Smart Ass
Rocky Raccoon
Grave Mistake
Mind Scanner
Picto Transpo
Shredded Bill Routuine with Zisor Portable Shredder
IQue 2
Country Man Headset E2
Sennheiser EW-112 Wireless system http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/61......unt.html

I also have the Pelican Lid Organizer and carry my street shells, regular cards, sharpies, misc. tools.

I have two different shows packed in and it will fit in overhead! Love it!

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 6:13pm
Oh, and I can also fit my High Caliber Holster in my clothes bag and carry everything on the plane and have a whole close up show in my holster.
Jonace
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Jonace
This was a post I was happy to read. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Suitcase Challenge (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL