We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Mind Power vs. Radar (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
There is a trick titled "Intercept 99" by Harvey Berg which uses a borrowed deck which is similar in effect to these two effects. I personally use a radar type deck and mind power but you might be interested in Intercept. It takes a little more work than the other two but being impromptu, it does have its advantages.
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
ReviewerMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of ReviewerMaster
Which one is more suitable for smaller group? Mind Power?
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
It does however not get much cleaner or direct than the 'Test Condition Card Trick' by Richard Osterlind used in conjuction with a 'Card Case Peek'.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2021 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
If looking to reveal more than 1 thought of card, I'd go with the the MIND POWER deck.
If looking to do a one card reveal, I'd go with the dream deck, but then again, I am obvoiusly biased, but peter duffie's review is spot on.
If looking for a ANY thought of card with proof you wrote it down, you might want to check out Cerebral manipulation.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109
Hope this helps.
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
428 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
Harvey Berg's trick is just a bad reworking of Vernon's "Out of Sight, Out of Mind." Don't waste your money. The Mind Power Deck solves a problem that doesn't exist and the fishing sequence isn't very good. Save your cash. The Dream Deck has a trick description that makes no sense -- it is not a think-of-card deck at all since the spectator tells you the card he's thinking of (the trick description says no questions are asked -- if that's true how does the spectator know to name his card?). Keep your cash.

Richard Osterlind's "Radar Deck" is the one you want, or you can buy my "Tsunami" manuscript for $10 and make up a Tsunami deck for a few bucks.
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
All these decks have things in common, although there are differences. My Snap Card Trick is also such a deck: http://tinyurl.com/snapcardtrick .
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2589 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Bob, I'm going to have to disagree with you there. The Mind Power Deck lets you achieve effects simply not possible with the Radar Deck. Look at Derren Brown's Smoke as one example. I also do a full deck variation of Simon Aronson's Red-See Passover with the MPD.

The ability to have a thought of card vanish from the deck is incredibly powerful and cannot be done with the Radar Deck. However, if you're looking to divine 3 or 4 spectators selections then yes, I agree that there really is no advantage to the MPD over the Radar Deck in that case.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
428 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
Steven, yes I agree.

I have an unpublished effect, "The Bammo Oblivion Deck," where not only does the thought card disappear, but the spectator (who spreads the deck himself) finds the three mates to his thought card (and he never names the card until after he makes this discovery). There are no duplicate cards.

Needless to say, this is not possible with any other deck so far invented.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Just FYI, with the Radar Deck you can use 1-4 participants--you are not limited to 4.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1106 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Have to disagree with Bob too on the MPD. I use Derren Brown's method to reduce the selection. Although you can do this one to one, I think 3 or 4 specs works better & allows you to reveal at least one of them apparently without any questioning. It's all in the presentation, some real reading of reactions to a couple of statements (optional if you can't do that) & you have a miracle on your hands. Never had a bad response to this, always blows them away.
Haven't got a Radar deck but I like the sound of telling them the card they almost chose. May have to get that too!
Probably not real, but did anyone see Criss Angel let someone fan through a deck with his back turned & he was telling them what card they chose as well as ones they were looking at & nearly picked?
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2589 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Bob, the Bammo Oblivion Deck sounds fantastic. Is this something that you've released or are planning to release?

UncleBunkle, this is not only possible but is an effect I learned from Ben Earl's Past Midnight DVD set. I have used it to great effect and it is a real killer. Don't know if Angel is using the same method but it does require more work than most magi are willing to put in.

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Damon Zale
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Damon Zale
I like Radar deck because it uses regular cards - that gives you more options. For example, you can say have someone (or even 2 people) take a card from the deck , then divine it .
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2589 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Dimazales, I wouldn't recommend having the specatator take a card from the deck for three reasons:

• The whole point of the Radar Deck is to allow people to simply mentally pick a card while you're fanning through them. Having them take the card substantially reduces the impact of the effect, which is diving a simply thought of card.
  • If you want to have people take a card from the deck then you can achieve the same effect with any rosary stack using a regular deck of cards. In that case there is no fishing, you can simply tell them what they've chosen. In fact, Osterlind's BCS is ideal for this purpose.
  • If you have two people take a card from the Radar Deck then there is a good chance that they will end up holding the same card. In that case, the effect is ruined on the audience.

Damon Zale
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Damon Zale
Thanks Steven. I never would. I just made a point that I like the fact that the cards are regular in Radar Deck and to support the point came up with (after reading your post) bad example of a benefit Smile
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2589 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
I agree. If you're just having spectators mentally select a card and then you plan to reveal them, there is no benefit to the MPD over the Radar Deck.

jsereb
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of jsereb
Thumpton -

A table is NOT required for either deck. From the audience's POV, the effects are very similar. The real difference is Radar you can make yourself while MPD you cannot.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
643 Posts

Profile of karnak
Quote:
The Mind Power Deck lets you achieve effects simply not possible with the Radar Deck.... I also do a full deck variation of Simon Aronson's Red-See Passover with the MPD.

I'd really like to hear more about this, as this basic effect/plot is one that I'm personally quite enamored of, and I've long been pondering various ways of doing a full-deck version of RSP (using two decks, one red & one blue).
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
A while ago somebody posted another great idea with the mind power deck: a premonition routine (I can't remember who it was, though).

Have somebody look at a card from a red deck, a blue backed deck is in view the whole time. The spectator looks through the blue deck for his thought of card (which he doesn't name out loud)and counts the cards while he looks for it. Their are only 51 cards, the thought of card is missing. Only then does the spectator names the card he thought of, it is produced from an envelope or pocket or whatever.

Great thinking, great routine!
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3998 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Simon, you don't need a MP Deck for this routine; but I've to admit that your index is getting smaller.... Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Hi Jan,

Are you talking about the original Premonition routine or perhaps Ted Lesleys version? I'm familiar with both.

I like this version is nice because everything is out in the open from the beginning and the index is significantly smaller. But perhaps we should discuss this through PM, because it is a bit off-topic. ;-). I love the effect, and I'm always open for suggestions concerning strong variations!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Mind Power vs. Radar (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL