The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Inappropriate material for a family show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mkmager
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of mkmager
[/quote]

Who would have the authority to draw it for everyone? Christians? Jews? Muslims? Atheists? Buddhists? Why should everyone live under the moral authority of another's views?

There is a social mechanism in place. If you are offended, you leave, you contact the act and the venue to let them know your feelings. Enough people do this, the act isn't invited back - it hurts their bottom line and they adjust/censor to meet what the market demands or find new venues with audiences that will appreciate their material.

[quote]
^^ I think you got it. If this guy is really offensive, he wont be getting booked before long. He will either change his act or his career. Problem solved.
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
610 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Just thinking aloud...

Well, well, even the greatest entertainers in history (Michael Jackson, Madonna, Bob Dylan, Edgar Bergen, Charlie Chaplin, etc.) or artists (Picasso, Klee, Pollock, etc.) have critics that didn't like their acts. As an entertainer myself, I don't aim to please everybody in my audience. I know there will be some who won't like me, despite my giving my best... As long as I am true to myself, I enjoy what I do, and know that AT LEAST the majority likes me... it's good enough!

Otto and George don't mind if some of their audience members walk-out during their show--as long as the majority enjoys their act.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
There will always be someone in the audience who will not like your act and compare you to the magician/ventriloquist/performer they had in their own party or event. Smile Specially if they can't afford your talent fee Smile "Oh I like the magician in our party better than this one...ours had lots of free balloons...and he is only $100, he had his own sound system, he had a free pinata and a lot more freebies." Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Ony,

My job is to (to the best of my taklent and ability) please my audience. I strive to make everyone happy if I can.

It is not so much being true to yourself or making yourself happy. That's not your job. Your job is to make an audience happy. You have to be true to that audience.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Neil, Ony:

I think you're both right. We should always strive to please as much of our audiences as possible. That's our jobs as entertainers. But is it not also true that artists need to please themselves? It's a cautious line to be walked. Some entertainers/artists are lucky enough that their art also pleases their audiences.

The rest of us just try to do the best we can.

B
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
In my youth, I would take on any job, venue.

This also applied to my writing and acting of comedy.

These days I choose to be more "choosy" with venues and material.

Harris
still too old to know everything....
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
One of the issues at play here is that the social mechanism that governs generalized standards for acceptablilty is constantly changing. It is not so much an issue in the venues I work (very young children), but think of how things are VERY different on TV than they were only a decade ago. Many words that were once banned from television ("sucks" is a good example) are now considered acceptable, common place terms that can be thrown around in any context, in front of any age group. I may not agree with this, but I can't stop the steamroller. Neither do I have the ability to try to set a standard. I just do what I know my audience (and especially their parents) will find acceptable and non-offensive.

BTW, I remember more than once getting up and leaving with my 6 year-old when things became inappropriate for him to hear ! That is part of parenting. If TV offends, turn it off. If a live performer offends, then leave the venue.

Mark
(former wild man rocker, now mild-mannered dad and children's entertainer!)
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I didn't mean for this thread to get resurrected, and I just happened to log in a couple minutes after Mark, so I really am not stalking this forum....

but I wanted to address one thing Mark said - I normally would have no trouble getting up and taking my kids out of a situation. The reason I did not do so in this particular case, is that the jokes in question were totally out of the blue in the context of the whole show, and I had to make a guess as to whether the material would continue in that direction. I made a guess, and it did not. They were also of the double-entendre nature that was just enough to go over their heads, so getting them up and dragging them out would have created more need to focus on the fact that Daddy was making them leave without understanding why. Damage control was maximized by hoping it slipped by without being repeated. Since there wasn't a particular "vinegar word" (our household term) they recognized as one they shouldn't use. I know this makes me look like even more of a reactionary loon that I have been painted to be at a couple points in this thread.

I'm happy to drop it, I've been chastised plenty for even asking the question earlier in this thread, and if we can have this thread deleted I will not object in any way.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
This nearly normal guy went from Greatful Dead music to playing in our churches Praise & Worship Team.

Harris "have puppets and harmonica...will travel" deutsch
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
I am surprised by how this thread has progressed. When things started, I pictured it as being the bashing of a performer and a sermon regarding right vs wrong. Instead it has been brought around to an interesting conversation. That speaks volumes for the talent and experience on this forum.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
One of the carry overs from my days as a chef is "If in doubt, throw it out!"
In my personal life I am as "crude, rude & obnoxous" but am so "PC" with my business, make myself ill. LOL Sad but true

I'm still Rockng the Paradise!
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
610 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Quote:
On 2009-10-07 13:52, Neale Bacon wrote:
Ony,

My job is to (to the best of my taklent and ability) please my audience. I strive to make everyone happy if I can.

It is not so much being true to yourself or making yourself happy. That's not your job. Your job is to make an audience happy. You have to be true to that audience.

Neale,
My first job is to make myself happy whenever I perform. I cannot please my audience if I myself is not happy with what I'm doing.

But that's me. And, of course, I respect your opinion.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Inappropriate material for a family show (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL