We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » David Stone's one coin routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of evikshin
How many of you perform, or have performed this routine regularly for lay-people? What are your thoughts on the routining of the effect, as well as the angles? What's the maximum number of people you perform this for? Just curious because I just made it part of my permanent repertoire, however, I get nervous performing it for more than 2 people due to fear of being seen from bad angles...

cheers

Evikshin
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of evikshin
I will say that my fear is mostly likely unfounded, and just paranoia!
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Nah I know the routine and like bits and pieces of it.. But as far as angles. I can see your fear on some of the moves. My biggest thing is always the classic for the finale... The JC ending... I have a hard time with the revelation. BUt the routine in its self is great quick and packs a punch...
Sword of the Soldier
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of Sword of the Soldier
I don't do the routine exactly but I use a lot of parts and nuances from it. I honestly have never had problems with bad angles though.

I just reviewed the routine, and I think if you're performing it properly with the specs in front there shouldn't be any problems at all. Everything looks perfect.

On a side note: The jumbo load, is something I do to the spectators hand though instead of my own. I find it takes some heat of the steal.

Good Luck!

Josh
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8884 Posts

Profile of Mb217
It's a great routine, one of his routines that showed me how truly talented a performer David Stone is. He has some crazy chops and most of all I like how he brings in different elements, I mean his one coin routine is not just about One Coin...It's like a treatise in misdirection, closeup magic and overall interaction & showmanship. Just a perfect routine. I've still not seen a OCR anything like it and it has been quite inspiring to me for years and years. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
lorenwade
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of lorenwade
Where can I find this routine?
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
It's in his "real secrets" of magic. I've been wanting to learn this trick for awhile, however I never wanted to spend the money on the RSOM dvd just for this one trick. Also, living in arizona, its gets hot here, and it wouldn't be fit to wear a jacket here. However, I'm not even sure if it uses a jacket or you absolutely need one. He wears a jacket in the routine, so I"m guessing it does. If it doesn't, more reason for me to get it.

I'm currently working on his rountine "I want you", but it has angle problems too.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8884 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Loren, hereya go, take a look at it. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfHaNhBJXe0
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
solidimageartsllc
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
176 Posts

Profile of solidimageartsllc
That. Was. CRAZY!!
Take infinite pain to make something look effortless - Michelangelo
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

I've always envied his smoothness. His Michael Ammar's wiped clean is so smooth..I know how its done and practice it myself but it still fools me. I can't get it anywhere near as smooth as him. No wonder he is an FISM winner...he deserves it. I wonder how much he practices a day? His classic palm is great too, been at it over 2 years and still nowhere near as good as his.
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Thanks for the great replies! (I'm in Asia right now and I've been unable to access the internet for the past few days, until now).

Paisa: The JC load never gave me any problems, interestingly enough. However, I'm always afraid that some spectator that is unaccounted for may spot the JW grip from a bad angle!

Josh: I will have to try this. So basically, immediately after the Jumbo appearance, you drop it in their hand, I take it?

MB: I agree on the part on misdirection! Mr. Stone still jukes me with his misdirection even when I see him on camera, which is quite a feat

Fishsticks: A jacket is not necessary. In fact I perform this short-sleeved. I'm not quite sure the wiped clean move is necessary though...sometimes I do it, sometimes I cut it out (it depends on how sticky my skin is at the moment, because that influences the execution of the sleight).

Evikshin
kardillusions
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
428 Posts

Profile of kardillusions
Evikshin,

I think Josh is saying to do the change directly into the spectator's outstretched hand. From stolen position, you "shuttle pass/change" the micro coin to the macro one, allowing it to "fall into place".

Scott.
Scott Baird
Instagram: @magicbaird
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
David is very good and very involved in being as professional as humanly possible in his coin work. I don't know, between him and Shoot Ogawa, who practices the more, but it's quite impressive.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Quote:
On 2009-10-06 11:53, Lawrence O wrote:
David is very good and very involved in being as professional as humanly possible in his coin work. I don't know, between him and Shoot Ogawa, who practices the more, but it's quite impressive.

please, tell me more! is he even "human?"

evikshin
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Quote:
On 2009-10-06 11:28, kardillusions wrote:
Evikshin,

I think Josh is saying to do the change directly into the spectator's outstretched hand. From stolen position, you "shuttle pass/change" the micro coin to the macro one, allowing it to "fall into place".

Scott.

I see, thanks !

Evikshin
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

I'm assuming you mean the routine from Real Secrets of Magic? Not the one where he produces a bottle. Looks like he produces a coin, does a JW grip, wiped clean, then re-produces it.

I'm surprised you don't need a jacket for this one. Is there any way to learn the effect other than buying Real Secrets Of magic Vol 2 to learn it? I just want to learn this one trick, I don't have a jacket or tex so I can't really do the other tricks.
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Quote:
On 2009-10-07 02:01, Strange Tasting Fish Sticks wrote:
I'm surprised you don't need a jacket for this one. Is there any way to learn the effect other than buying Real Secrets Of magic Vol 2 to learn it? I just want to learn this one trick, I don't have a jacket or tex so I can't really do the other tricks.

If you wanted to, you could just watch the demo closely a couple 100 times. You should be able to figure out all of it (that's how I first learned the "Wiped Clean" move, before I got his DVD.

Best

Evikshin
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2009-10-10 20:35, evikshin wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-10-07 02:01, Strange Tasting Fish Sticks wrote:

If you wanted to, you could just watch the demo closely a couple 100 times. You should be able to figure out all of it (that's how I first learned the "Wiped Clean" move, before I got his DVD.

Best

Evikshin

You could definitely do that, but of course it wouldn't be fair to David to actually perform the routine professionally unless you ponied up. The DVD's are worth watching for David's insights, whether you perform many of the routines or not.

BTW - that's an interesting warning at the beginning of the DVD, saying that it will install a virus on your computer if you try to rip the DVD (illustrated by a big scary Biohazard symbol). Wonder if it's true? Even if not, it's clever.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
dilan_thomas
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of dilan_thomas
I do it all almost every show no matter the type. It is one of my all time favorites. If the angles are bad for some of the moves I just substitute a different vanish. Another intersting idea is to use a Jumbo with a S***l, and incorporate a silk at the end. Now you have a lot more possibilties.
iceblade
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of iceblade
I like this routine very much. David Stone is definitely one of my favorite magicians. However, I don't like how he uses the JW grip. But then again this is my pet peeve, I don't like how most people use it, because they use it in a way that it doesn't make sense and looks like an unnatural position.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » David Stone's one coin routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL