The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Sandsational rope routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Palle
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Palle
I just got Sand's original Sandsational manuscript and it reads great. I'm having problems with the moves that create Figures 3 and 4. I have read the description over and over but can't get the exact move as described to look as Figure 3.

Does anyone know if this routine is on any video or in a book?

What I like about it is that you use one edge of the scissors to find the "middle" of the rope, and that creates a great illusion.

Thanks,
palle...
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
It's a great routine. You just need to work with it a bunch and the move you are talking about will become easy.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Does anyone know where I can get Sandsational? I have been trying for a while now with no success?
Palle
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Palle
I got my copy from magicsmith.com.
palle
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Ah great, thanks again!

Smile
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
Too bad magicsmith is not a magic store anymore.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Just out of interest .. what is it?
Jake Ellison
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Jake Ellison
You can still get a copy of Sandsational from Earth's Largest Magic Shop:

http://elmagicshop.automated-shops.com/millennium/

Jeff McBride incorporates some of the moves from this routine into the rope routine on his Commando Act video.
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
H&R Books has it listed.

http://www.magicbookshop.com
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I have McBride's DVDs. How different is Sandsational from McBride's Commando Rope routine?
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
The rope is never actually cut in Sandsational. He created it during world War II when rope was rationed.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thank you. That sounds very economical.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Quote:
On 2003-06-09 12:09, Palle wrote:
I just got Sand's original Sandsational manuscript and it reads great. I'm having problems with the moves that create Figures 3 and 4. I have read the description over and over but can't get the exact move as described to look as Figure 3.

Does anyone know if this routine is on any video or in a book?

What I like about it is that you use one edge of the scissors to find the "middle" of the rope, and that creates a great illusion.

Thanks,
palle...

Figures 3 and 4 all you are doing is picking up the middle of the rope with the sissors and placing this middle in to your left hand.
I was fortunate to have George allow me to video his lecture many years ago where he taught this routine among others.
George also at one time sold a video where he teaches three of his famous rope routines with SandSational Rope as the feature.

Quote:
On 2003-07-12 23:08, zombieboy wrote:
The rope is never actually cut in Sandsational. He created it during world War II when rope was rationed.

You have confused George's "Sandsational Rope" routine, where a nine foot length of rope is cut into tiny pieces at the end, with his other routine "Rope Sandsation" where the rope is never cut and used over and over.
Both are brilliant routines and both are taught on George's video if you can get still it.
BearMage
View Profile
New user
Kalamazoo, MI
26 Posts

Profile of BearMage
I had the pleasure of attending one of Sand's lectures at our ring in Battle Creek, MI a good number of years ago. His magic was simple and sublime.

I have to admit it was an old friend, Jack Rickett's idea for us to host the lecture. We were a bit reluctant at first, because it was Jack's favorite rope routine and we'd seen it performed a number of times. Jack loved to perform it for new members, chuckle.

In the hands of the master, it became something even more significant. It became a true work of magical art.

I only hope that the art of magic continues to produce magi the caliber of George Sands.

Blessin's

Bear
"We have not the reverent feeling for the rainbow that the savage has,
because we know how it was made. We have lost as much as we gained by
prying into that matter."
Mark Twain
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Is the George Sands video still available?

The only thing that I can find on the 'Net is ABBOTT'S 1993 MAGIC GET-TOGETHER HIGHLIGHTS.
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I only have Sands Improved Ropesational, published in 1976, I received this in 1979.

In 1991 Arlene Sands, was selling Improved, video $35, 3 sandsational rope effects, which included Ropesatinal, sandsational, and rope warp $20. Also 54 yrs of magic $15. 50, 51, 52, & 53 years of magic $15.

They were sold by:
Arlene Sands
4232 N.32 St. #7
Phoenix, AZ 85018
phone: 602-954-9345

Remember, this info is from 1991 so may not be any good as in 2004.

To me this trick reminds me of the Slydini and Daryl type of routine.

My drawing to not match up with your Manuscript as my drawing 3&4 are at the beginning of the trick, where the rope is accordain pleated and tied around the middle.

Sorry,
Bill Smile
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
I was fortunate enough to have George Sands teach me the routine in Phoenix several years back....and after having done so compared the sequences to the "Sandsational Manuscript" which did seem a bit ambiguous in several spots as compared to what I'd learned previously on it.

You can have my copy if you'd like to trade it for similiar rope material?
I don't use the same patter as it doesn't fit my personna and I also don't perform the entire routine anymore. This is something I like about it, modularity.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Sandsational rope routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL