The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Anniversary Waltz - busted (sort of) (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I was performing at a wedding party this past weekend and as is customary for me, I made my way over to the bride and groom to perform Anniversary Waltz. For those who might not know, the effect has the couple sign two different cards. They are returned to the deck. The two signed cards are found and then placed between the bride and groom's hands. When their hands are separated, the two cards have become one with the groom's signature on one side and the bride's on the other.

I performed the trick for the newly married couple just as I explained above and even got a gasp out of the bride. Instead of putting the cards back in the box I just spread them on the table next to us. I got the usual how in the world questions and I noticed a 10-12 year old kid going through the cards, I didn't think much about it since it wasn't a gaffed deck. Pretty quickly, he announces the two cards that were signed, were still in the deck. I said of course they are; I can't perform my card tricks without all 52 cards. Everyone seemed satisfied with the reply but I can't help but think a little of sparkle was taken away from the effect. I've never thought about this being as issue in the past and maybe it isn't much of one, but from now on I think I'll be putting the cards back in the box when I am finished with it.

Just thought this was interesting.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Out of the mouths of babes...!

I don't think anything was taken away from the moment at all! You got the bride to gasp! Awesome! You done good!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
I do matthew j dowdens in the hands version of this all the time and never had anyone call me on it.

but think I'll be using your response if I ever am!
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I also love this trick.
I just don't let anyone play with my cards, coins, etc. unless I need then to for the purpose of the effect.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
God bless the children!

Because, personally, I curse the very day the little bugger's parents even met...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Slyhand,

I agree with you about letting anyone handle props until the right moment. In a way I, this was the right moment. I've always felt like letting someone take a look at the deck after revealing the two cards have melted into one, was a big selling point for this effect and really helped drive home the impossibility of what was just seen.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Not when the dups are still in the deck! Palm em out first.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Derrick,

I use Carl Andrews’s version. No gaffs, no setup, no hassle and nothing to "discover" after all is done since both sigs end up on 1 card (1 on front and 1 on back).

You did fine....don't worry. Keep up the good work. Smile
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Thanks SoCal,

I've been doing this trick forever, it seems. Just never been called on it before. I really didn't know this was a weak spot in the trick until now, which is why I posted on it. I guess the idea is to at least let others know this could be a weak spot in the routine and watch out for it.

Derrick
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
I always take out the duplicate cards prior to the routine. There is always a chancd that the gimicked card and duplicate would be seen at the same time during the routine.

So, I play it safe.

David
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I always remove the duplicate cards from the deck when I perform the Anniversary Waltz as I do with Michael Skinner's Ultimate 3 Card monte. I never let my cards be handled unless it suits my purpose.
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Unless I had all my 'DF' the same, say 2d 4h theres no way id take out the dups,
I probably peform this 15 times a gig and its a worker as 1 bit of misdirection (hold on to this pen please) and I'm set up ready to go!
would be a nightmare taking 2 cards out each time unless like mentioned all your DF cards are the same.
also I don't know if its just me but I don't really call on the value of there card, more so heres your signed card.
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I'll go along with you there, Barry...at a wedding, I'm up there with the Bride and Groom, in front of the band..the trick goes off and they get the card to keep along with a mini wand and my business card (to frame) .
End of trick. No kids paws get near the cards. At any time.

At a table, same trick - with a married or engaged couple - trick flies, they get the card to keep, and that's it.

No-one gets to handle my props unless they're invited.

Regards,

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
When I can be bothered (and remember!) I take the dupes out of the deck. (That is recommended in a lot of the inventors instructions)

But mostly, I handle the deck and if needed, I spread them and show them.

If a kid did start going through the deck, uninvited, I'd pick them up and I'd show them saying look, all different and show the front and backs and then put the deck in my pocket.

There are many ways around it and uneven if you do take out the dupes, there are many follow on tricks that work just as well with 50 card as they do with 52. You can even make a joke out of it by saying "Pick a card any card... oh, well, any card apart from the 2 of hearts and the 3 of clubs as they are not in there as they are still stuck together!" Turn to Bride and Groom "Have you got them apart yet? No matter, I'm always working without a full deck" Smile at the naff joke and carry on...

That or "Well it's a magic deck, whatever you take away magically reappears - And they are new ones as they don't have signatures all over them!" - That should be enough to confuse them.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Sounds like a pretty sharp kid. Knew exactly what to look for. Gotta give him that. Lesson learned.

I was doing Jon Alan's coins across from his No Spectator's DVD when a little girl started running around the room, peering up from different angles. Should've probably dealt with it, but I just kept going. Sure enough, she catches a glimpse of the CP while lying on her back and announces, "I see how he's doing it!" Fortunately, she was too polite (relatively) to speak further. Still nailed her with the last vanish and travel, though.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
WilburrUK
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of WilburrUK
Re. Removing the dupes:

Surely one of them is needed to do the trick (or at least it's used as a convincer, near the end that the 2 cards are together).

OK, so you could ditch this bit, but is it worth it ?

If you really wanted to you could palm it off while all the heat's on the fused cards.
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
Removing the dupes is for the "latest" version that doc eason uses. He has a display that is much nicer and clearer than the original version he put out. Hence the dupes are not needed.
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
I don't take out the dupes, but it backfired ONCE. During the display when you show the person that their card is the only one that turned face up (the first time), the dupe happened to be right next to it (i.e. not the one that normally gets shown)...

Kinda awkward, but the spectator didn't actually notice luckily.

Just a word of caution though that this is something to watch for if doing the trick!
Logic Defied
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I do a version with double blanks. Ideas from Seth Kramer, Greg Wilson and myself. EVERYTHING is examinable. I have my own presentation that works with these cards. Once, I had a problem. Someone was so sure that it was 2 cards stuck together, he peeled the signed card apart. Yes, he was splitting the card. He got about halfway and ran back to me to tell me how I "did it." Of course he was wrong, but it didn't matter to him. Since then, the effect has changed. I actually put BOTH cards in their hands. The effect is NOT 2 cards becoming one, but rather a signature jumping off of one card and onto the other. Since then, no problem. I've only shared this idea with a few friends. Curious to see what you guys think.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2009-10-01 11:41, Christopher Lyle wrote:
Out of the mouths of babes...!

I don't think anything was taken away from the moment at all! You got the bride to gasp! Awesome! You done good!

"Never try to fool children. They expect nothing and therefore see everything." Harry Houdini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Anniversary Waltz - busted (sort of) (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL