The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Mismade Suggestion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
Can anyone suggest any passages, poems, or speeches that can be used for the mismade flag? I am performing a month of veteran's shows and need to tie this in some how.

Thank You.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I have one for a kids show.
It is in this older thread on the Café.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=54
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Have you seen the routine used by Bill Pitts for the American Legion?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
No, I have not seen any performances. These shows are for retirees, there would surely be no kids.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Odd you would say that! In the last 31 years, I have watched him perform it at magic conventions. Neither of us were retired.

Yours is for retirees. I would expect to see kids there. (grandchildren)

With almost any patter it is a great routine for all ages.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
Trust me, there will be no kids. lol. I work in Branson and there are no kids this time of year. Anyhow, I wasn't referring to your post, I was talking about the one above you.

Posted: Oct 5, 2009 4:14pm
Does anyone have contact information for Mr. Pitts?
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
For something like a Veteran's Day performance, I would recommend doing a straight routine changing red, white, and blue silks into a flag without the mismade component. The occasion just seems to demand a serious presentation rather than a comedy presentation. The effect is just as magical without the mismade component, and perhaps more respectful and appropriate. Think of it this way: If Betsy Ross and any of the Founding Fathers were in the audience, would you really want to do the mismade flag? I do Ed Mishell's Fanorama where a deck is fanned red, white and blue and then a double fan of the stars and stripes is made. Do you think Fanorama would be improved if we added a feature where a bunch of blue cards fell out and a mismade double-fan was made?

Although the flag colors red, white and blue originally had apparently no special significance, as applied to the Great Seal of the United States, they do have a special significance which I think would appropriately apply to the flag as well. In a speech about the Great Seal of the United States, Charles Thompson, Secretary of the Continental Congress, stated: ""The colors... are those used in the flag of the United States of America; White signifies purity and innocence, Red, hardiness & valour, and Blue, the color of the Chief (the broad band above the stripes) signifies vigilance, perseverance & justice." Although Thompson was speaking specifically about the Great Seal, I think one can infer that the reference to the significance of the colors applies just as legitimately to the flag.

Just because you _can_ inject humor into magic doesn't mean that you _should_ at every opportunity. There is a time and place for comedy, but not on Veteran's Day. I wouldn't object to the mismade flag at a Blue and Gold Banquet. But I think people who put their lives on the line in defense of our country would appreciate a more respectful approach.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Red for the blood of patriots

White for the purity of intention

Blue for the faithfullness of the citizens and forebearers to the principles of freedom.

-------At leaqst it worked for me until Abu Grabe
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
White for truth (and the knuckles of taxpayers)

Red for the budget

Blue for language used to describe elected officials!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I just thought of a good premise that could work for seniors. You patter could be describing Betsy Ross who made the flag, was a little forgetful. She sewed up the pieces and after packing it all up in a bundle, she discovered she forgot one of the colors.
Sure enough, she checked her work and the flag had no blue.
She added the blue, but in her confusion she found she sewed the colors in the wrong place.
One more try, and finally she got it straightened away with the right combination.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2009-12-10 16:32, Bob Sanders wrote:
White for truth (and the knuckles of taxpayers)

Red for the budget

Blue for language used to describe elected officials!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

The last few days of news certainly make this patter timely! LOL!
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Mismade Suggestion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL