We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » FISM 2012 Controversy Continues (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
From a post in the Genii Forums, I became aware of a new video which has appeared on YouTube adding to the controversy regarding Blackpool as a host for the 2012 FISM. READ MORE
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2312 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Apparently this controversy has reached the highest levels. Therefore, I am making an open plea: Obama, Oprah, please bring FISM to Chicago in 2015.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3412 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2009-10-03 21:23, Ken Northridge wrote:
Apparently this controversy has reached the highest levels. Therefore, I am making an open plea: Obama, Oprah, please bring FISM to Chicago in 2015.

And a shot rings out!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Truly a movie classic, reflecting the controversy of our life in these modern times...
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3250 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Well..., the one about Chris Angels' Vegas show was better, but that was quite funny.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
Blackpool have summarily decided to create a new FISM category or what appears to be an entirely new FISM contest for 2010 - the "FISM World Championships of Children's Entertainers" - without so much as even getting the approval of the FISM General Assembly ( seems very similar to when they were collecting FISM registration money before they had even been officially voted as host city )

Interestingly the FISM statutes have no provision for a Children's Magic Contest so all very intriguing as to how they sidestep these minor little requirements.

Will the FISM Childrens Magic Champion compete in the finals for the main Grand Prix ? Could be interesting ... Shawn Farquhar competing against Run Rabbit Run.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1638 Posts

Profile of Futureal
I've been using "Shape of My Heart" with Run Rabbit Run since 1987.
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
The Derek Lever school of public relations continues to be in full force ...

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/blackp......02876.jp

and

http://editorial.jpress.co.uk/web/Upload......iels.JPG

Derek Lever is fast becoming an international embarrassment to the FISM organisation whose stated aim is to promote and unify the art of magic. How can you have the FISM 2012 President publicly demeaning one of Britain's most accomplished magicians ?

"Derek Lever, chairman of the club, said: "He is not welcome in Blackpool and we will not be inviting him.

"We don't want him in Blackpool, he is a has-been.

"He has been doing the same electric hair routine for 40 years and it's time he got up-to-date.

"We have the real stars coming to the convention, we have David Blaine, people like that.

"We recently had the president and vice president of Federation of International Stage Magicians FISM come over to Blackpool to look at The Grand, at The Opera House and the Tower Circus and they were really impressed.

"It's their opinions we listen to and respect, not someone whose shows in Blackpool had to be cancelled due to lack of ticket sales."

If Mr Lever does indeed listen to Eric Eswin & Domenico Dante - I am sure that they must be very charmed with his latest folly.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2312 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On 2009-10-05 02:11, Futureal wrote:
I've been using "Shape of My Heart" with Run Rabbit Run since 1987.

You obviously stole that idea from me since I have been using ‘Shape of my Heart’ to Hippity Hop Rabbits since 1986. Even though it is a different effect, its still upsetting and I plan to make a long post about this on several magic forums.Smile
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
sleight king
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of sleight king
Well I have been performing 'shape of my rabbit' since 1985, bad luck boys
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1638 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Ahh, but I perform it on a stool.

Incidentally : I think Blackpool FISM should be canned and another city picked. It's a public-relations nightmare.
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
693 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
Fism 2012.

I have been following this controversial topic with some interest and since I actually live in Blackpool, and have done so for much of my life, I feel qualified to stick in my 'two pennorth'.

Firstly, It is my opinion that Paul Daniels, whether or not he is right in his view of the town, made an error of judgment in expressing a view that was likely to be quoted and placed in the public domain. His profile is such that his remarks were bound to be picked up and transmitted world-wide.

In turn, Derek Lever (again in my opinion) is in error in turning the issue into a personal one. Since Blackpool has already been awarded the convention, he is in a position to be able to ignore negative comments from outside and get on with doing what he is obviously good at - producing a successful magic convention.

Now, regarding Blackpool's suitability to host this event.

Despite the perceived 'tackyness' and 'lack of artistic culture', Blackpool is an entertainments town. It has two major theatres (H.M. The Queen is attending this year's Royal Variety Show at one of them!) and several additional smaller performance venues, plus one of the finest indoor circus locations in the world! It also has the magnificent Tower Ballroom, in which events may be staged. There is a huge multi-million pound regeneration programme currently in progress and by 2012, much of the improvement will be in place.

Blackpool has proved itself annually, over many years to be able to accommodate one of the world's largest and most successful magic conventions ever – I believe upwards of 4,000 attendees in the last few years! Whether people care for Derek Lever and his operational methods or not, is of little consequence. He and his team at the Blackpool Magician's Club, year after year produce the goods and thousands come to the town.

Blackpool, has been a little slow to get into modernisation mode, but they are on their way now. What was in my youth a town of 18 theatres, producing summer season spectaculars, is turning into a festival and events location – anyone at 'Showzam' in February 2008 & 9? There is to be another in 2010, each one bigger and better than the previous one.

So don't worry about Blackpool not being culturally adequate for FISM – What is so culturally special about magicians anyway? Having been amused for many years by the appearance of some of the 'weirdos' who attend the Blackpool and British Ring conventions (60 & 70 year old 'hippies' with ear-rings and tiny pony-tales - ageing couples, wandering around with knitted his & hers, 'I Love Magic' cardigans and the 'in full motley' clowns and Laurel & Hardy lookalikes that exhibit themselves around the dealer halls with the air of 'see me – I'm an entertainer!' exuding from every pore), high culture isn't what I associate with magicians – and I've been one for sixty years!

So calm down guys. Stop the sniping. Blackpool's FISM will be fine.

Leslie
Stories....?....That's telling!
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Who's Chris 'Angle'?
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I think he's Kurt Angle's cousin.
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Mr. Lever has responded to many of the accusations which have been made against him and Blackpool with regards to FISM 2012. READ MORE
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
693 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
In response to a couple of personal messages received since my above posting, I should make it clear that although as stated, Blackpool is my home town, I am not a member of Blackpool Magician's Club and have absolutely no involvement in the running of the Blackpool Convention - if I attend, and I don't always, I register like everyone else!

Apologies by the way for the typo that made reference to 'pony-tales'. I of course meant 'pony-tails' in the context of a hair styling - not stories about small horses!

Leslie
Stories....?....That's telling!
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
He doesn't mention the "FISM Childrens Entertainer" category.
Magic is a vanishing art.
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Nope.. ;-)
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
Dodd posted the link to Mr Lever's response - but let's specifically extract 2 key sections:

"* Blackpool Convention and F.IS.M. Convention are separate events.
* People banned from Blackpool will not automatically be banned from F.I.S.M. There are only about 7 people who are banned from Blackpool and these are for serious reasons such as shoplifting, abusive behaviour/drunkenness, obscenity and fly pitching.Colin Richardson was banned (since lifted) not because he was running a convention but because he posted a Carl De Rome e.mail on their forum saying that all Blackpool Magicians Club competitions were fixed. Colin refused to delete it and only removed it after receiving a letter from my solicitor. Nobody has been banned because of personal differences.Despite press headlines I did not say that Paul Daniels was banned. I said that we had not invited him for the past 15 years and we did not intend to invite him for 2012. If he wants to come and buys a registration he is quite welcome."

-----------

Mr Lever is not being truthful.

**"There are only about 7 people who are banned from Blackpool"

Not so.

"You, ***, ***, all staff and business associates of yours are all banned from attending the Convention"

The family, staff & employees of just this one person are well more than seven.

"...these are for serious reasons such as shoplifting, abusive behaviour/drunkenness, obscenity and fly pitching."

Serious reasons also include publishing a contrary opinion on The Genii Forum / Magic Newswire ... despite the statement "Nobody has been banned because of personal differences."

**"Colin Richardson was banned (since lifted)"

Not so. Colin's ban will only be lifted if he complies with certain conditions.

"If he ( Paul Daniels ) wants to come and buys a registration he is quite welcome."

Mr Lever stated: "He is not welcome in Blackpool ..." "We don't want him in Blackpool, he is a has-been."

I do believe the record speaks for itself - and no amount of spin can erase the truth.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Mitchmagi, you seem to enjoy the notoriety of being banned by Derek.

I guess this is your 15 minutes of fame which is why you're posting on every board across the world.

At first it was mildly interesting, now it's just tedious.

On behalf of the majority of members of magic forums.....please give it a rest now!

Cheers mate.

Andi
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » FISM 2012 Controversy Continues (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL