The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Who Will Stand With Me? (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..16..25..34..43..52..55~56~57 [Next]
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Great to hear, Magicalaurie! Is it not fun to fun to find "minor" changes that make a big difference? You inspire me to work harder...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2747 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thank you very much, Jim. That means a lot to me.

Laurie

Bag and Chamber (David Roth's "The Purs......ash Smile )
"Every thought you think, word you speak, and action you take proceeds from either love or fear. Peace and upset, innocence and guilt, healing and illness all spring from that one fundamental choice." Alan Cohen
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Your Purse & Glass is rough but a start Laurie.
A bit too much fidgeting at start.
The cat...LOL.
Keep at it.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2747 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thanks, Jaz. It's a work in progress. I didn't post in the "You Oughta Be in Pictures" with it because I realize it's not quite there yet. I appreciate your honesty.
"Every thought you think, word you speak, and action you take proceeds from either love or fear. Peace and upset, innocence and guilt, healing and illness all spring from that one fundamental choice." Alan Cohen
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2747 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Here's a closer look at the coins I'm using, just for your information. In a close-up situation, the spectators would be able to view them. The camera I'm using doesn't really allow for fancy close-up shots. Still, big thanks to Tracey for shooting my performance vids, allowing me to be seen with my head on my shoulders. Smile

The lynxes and ladies:

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2747 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I'm back again. Smile I've set next Sunday as another filming date. Tracey will take another shot at it then. Smile
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3615 Posts

Laurie:

First, Tracey did a great job!

Next, I really enjoyed your performance. I don't want to disagree with Jaz, but it wasn't that "rough" in my opinion, and certainly a GOOD start.

To me, the positives are 1) you have "presence", meaning that you connect and have the qualities of presentation that are necessary, 2) your hand action is very pretty and artful- I like the way you reveal the coins, and 3) your physical and verbal scripting was great - you did not hesitate with what you did or said, and every action had a purpose ( you even made the cat look good).

My only negative comment was it was a bit hard for me to follow. However, it is a complicated piece of magic, not suited for those with short attention spans, and I have had a wine or two...l

Very nice, lady... thanks for posting your routine-

Jim
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2747 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
You're welcome, Jim. Working on it... thanks for your comments. Smile

Laurie

Posted: Jan 17, 2010 11:08pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl8yyvspSQ8

The sound quality's better, though the camera seems to have a problem with my "s"s. What to do? I'm gonna ...

Posted: Jan 18, 2010 3:36pm
Someone gave me 5 stars last night, and it wasn't Tracey! Could be a good sign.

I think it needs a little more emphasis on the darkness of the copper coins- lighting can be a detriment here- would give the change stronger visual impact, which I feel it's still needing.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3615 Posts

Getting better with each vid Laurie, a cool routine...

Jim
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3642 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Just thought I'd check in.

I did complete my compact to practice 5 days a week 30 min a day on my Rope/ Ring and Rope Routine.

Since I started early Nov. and ended Jan. 1st that makes at least 20 hours of practice.

I can say unequivocally that it did greatly improve the routine. Is it as good as I'd hoped? No.

I'm pleased with the experiment and will continue to work on it. 20 hours is, after all not that long to see such an improvement.

I wish I were as computer savvy as Laurie and able to put my routine on the web.

I'll check in occasionally 'till I commit to a new project.

Thank You Jim and Laurie.

- Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3615 Posts

Mary-

So good to hear from you and find you are doing so well!

As for me, I am on track and have been noticing some really good improvement also. It is amazing how much more competent I feel (and am) in the areas of practice. I can't say I LOVE to practice, like Vernon, but it is necessary if I am ever going to be a really good magician, so it must be done.

My biggest problem is detours. For example, just came back from Magi Fest, where Dan Garcia performed "Torn", an effect I feel can be real magic but takes some practice. So, for the last week I have switched to working on that to the detriment of my coin practice.

Ropes are my "goto" magic, but I need to refresh myself on some of that also. Fortunately, the weather is helping me, a foot or two of snow, too cold to be out, sit by the fire with a glass of wine and my magic...ah!

Hope Laurie shows up and says hello. I have been watching her coin stuff on Magicians.com and it is really getting great. I think she is practicing...

Keep it up, Mary, I think we are on to something!

Regards,

Jim
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2747 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Hi Mary, Jim,

Good to hear things are on track for you both. I'm practicing my act for the WMS Close-Up Competition. Running the act 10-20 times a day, getting as familiar and comfortable as I can with it. Enjoying it very much. Smile

Laurie

Posted: Feb 15, 2010 9:30pm
Here's the latest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi8oh_lhkV4
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2222 Posts

Profile of todsky
Good to hear you're all progressing, Jim, Laurie and Mary.

Finally got back to practice, after busyness with the new house, baby, and many shows in January. Playing around with the ONE levitation by Peter Loughram and Ray Noble, if I can get this in gear it would be great because I can use it at kids parties as well as adult gatherings. Now I've gotta prepare some of the technical thingies, and I'll see if I can get a rise out of it. Will report back, hopefully soon. And I haven't forgotten Sidewalk Shuffle, it was just displaced by ONE for a while.

Todd
We carry Murphy's Magic, Ellusionist products, Bizarre Magick, etc.
www.magicstore.ca
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3615 Posts

Todd-

Thanks for dropping by. Sounds like you have been very busy. I have the "displaced" syndrome also- came back from MagiFest a couple of weeks ago with all new "goodies". Of course, I have to work on those for awhile, but am back on track now. Nothing worse than an ADD magician, perhaps... Smile

Jim

Posted: Mar 11, 2010 9:34pm
Awfully quiet here, have you all stopped practicing? I simply can not believe what 30 minutes a day has given me in the way of ability and confidence! Am I alone again?

Jim
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2222 Posts

Profile of todsky
Well, I organized some of my magic, and I spent a few hours doing that, so I will cheat by counting that as pre-practice. As it is, I am progressing in my practice like a turtle. A very slow turtle. A very very very slow turtle. I should get there eventually. Before the sun goes supernova, I think.
We carry Murphy's Magic, Ellusionist products, Bizarre Magick, etc.
www.magicstore.ca
BlueOwl
View Profile
Regular user
Dayton, Ohio
105 Posts

Profile of BlueOwl
I love the concept of this topic! Thank you for your wonderful idea Jim. I found the fact that the practice forum was the last one listed on Magic Café, quite humorous. Practice makes permanent after all.

Here is my info:

1. Nathan

2a. Overhand Shuffle / Overhand Run
2b. Read "Magic and Showmanship" by Henning Nelms

3. 40min

4. 4

5. April, 24, 2010

I'm excited to have a group to learn and grow with. Good luck with your practice Jim, Laurie, Mary and Todd.

~ Nathan
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3642 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome BlueOwl,

Mandarin is right. Practice gives me a lot more confidence which can mean the difference between going for a tricky bit and really impressing everyone or playing it safe because I'm not sure of my skills.

I just got News Flash so that's what I'll be on for a while.

30 min a day (probably more)

every day till I like the result.

- Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3615 Posts

Very good to have you aboard, Nathan! Sounds like you have a good plan and a sensible schedule. When I get home from a ruff day at work, I always seem to have that 30 minutes to devote and enough energy to make it count. When I can't (or don't) I settle for whatever I have, as long as it is SOMETHING! Keep checking in, and keep us posted.

Hey, Mary, let me know what you think of News Flash. I do a couple of newspaper tears, mostly from "World's Greatest" but am intrigued by News Flash. Will be fun to hear how it goes for you.

Good luck to both of you!

Regards,

Jim
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3642 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dear Jim,

News Flash is excellent. The first times you fold the du*****te isn't easy but I got through it.

It would have helped if Axel had included the dimensions of the original newspapers he calls large format and small format but I guessed and it works great.

My biggest problems (as usual) are deciding how to perform it, i.e. patter line and such and the third tear which is hard for me as the paper is very thick. I've heard using a hair dryer or the oven can make paper easier to tear and I may have to try it if Axel's alternate handling doesn't work out.

I checked out the World's Greatest (looking for Pat Pages 30 sec miracle paper tear which was not there) and I really liked Alex Elmsley's slow, piece by piece restoration but the speed and cleanliness of News Flash is amazing. (I'm hoping no one else ever does it.)

- Mary Mowder
BlueOwl
View Profile
Regular user
Dayton, Ohio
105 Posts

Profile of BlueOwl
Thank you for the kind words Jim. I'll definitely keep everyone posted on my progress. Accountability and practicing within a group can make a huge difference.

I did a quick search for "News Flash" Mary, and the effect is quite breathtaking. The restoration is so smooth! Good luck as you create your performance and practice the effect.

~ Nathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Who Will Stand With Me? (23 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..16..25..34..43..52..55~56~57 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL