The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Is there any danger with hypnosis? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
ScHeRzO
View Profile
New user
Ecuador
63 Posts

Profile of ScHeRzO
Dear Friends,

I don't think that there is any danger if you do it properly, but I have heard so many stories about people going it to trance and never coming back. I was wondering if any of you have had any rare or uncommon experience with someone in trance?

Thank you
SCHERZO
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Done properly there are no dangers to hypnosis. Sometimes you will get a volunteer with psychological problems, or high on drugs, and you will get unusual reactions. A bit of training and you will be able to handle that. No one will get stuck in a trance. It has never happened, and will never happen. Old wives tale. Tony.
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
Nodbody can go into trance and stay stuck. Hypnosis is a natural state we all enter every day. In life you are either asleep or alert or somewhere in between. A person who is in trance can only do one of two things: Wake up or go to sleep.
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Yep. Tony and Richard are exactly correct. In thousands of year of working with hypnosis and its precedents, there has never been a case of someone going into trance and not emerging from it. I'd say that's a pretty good record!

That being said, there is, I think a reason for the myth. Simply put, being in a deep hypnotic trance feels wonderful! It's relaxing, focused, and just feels good. There are some instances where the hypnotists try to bring the hypnotized person out of trance and they like it so much they don't want to come out.

As Richard says, only two things will happen. Either the person will "wake up" (I prefer "emerge" or "come out" of hypnosis as the person doesn't really go to sleep) or they will fall into sleep and wake up later feeling wonderful.

During hypnotherapy, a person staying in trance for longer than the hypnotist desires is, at worst, an inconvenience. Hypnotherapists will give suggestions such as:

"Yes, this feels wonderful, but unless you come out when I count to three, I'll never lead you to this state again" or
"You're welcome to stay in this wonderful state, but remember that I change $150 per hour unless you come out now"

usually does the trick

Stage hypnotists also want to emerge their actors when they say they are doing so for a variety of reasons. My favorite suggestion to help a recalcitrant person emerge was shared in a training given by Dick "deeper and deeper" Sutphen. He said you could whisper into someone's ear on stage "Unless you come out now I'm going to start humping your leg like a dog until you do!"
tiriri
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
247 Posts

Profile of tiriri
I agree with the fact that properly done hypnosis is totally safe, but there are always chances of getting weird reactions like what just happened with Derren Brown performing an induction on TV and a person being stuck on a chair for a whole night!!

Or, for example, a few years ago there was a hypnosis demonstration at the university I teach here in Quito, and the hypnotist at that time was not too responsible at the moment of inducing the trance and leading people out of it. So, he performed hypnosis to a whole classroom and there was this lady who woke up two hours later at the very moment when she was pressing her garage remote control. So she drove all the way back home in a deep hypnosis state!!!

So we should always be careful...

Giovanni.

Posted: Oct 5, 2009 5:14pm
There is alink for the news of Derren Brown's apologies at his own blog:

http://derrenbrown.co.uk/blog/2009/09/oops/
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Giovanni, one person claims to have been stuck in a chair with NO documentation, NO verification, NO proof. Please! It was this guy's attempt to get a bit of fame or fortune by appearing in a tabloid that features pictures of naked women and lurid tales about celebrities. DB's apology consisted of "Oops, sorry." He realized what was going on and was using this as advertising for his "incredible powers."
tiriri
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
247 Posts

Profile of tiriri
Hi Dmkraig!

I read the news at the spanish magic blog which usually is a serious site about magic. Anyway I should research a bit more to find out if it is true or not.

Giovanni.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9996 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
You are greatly misinformed. There is no such thing as getting stuck in hypnosis. Do not confuse this with someone having a reaction while hypnotized. I challenge anyone to find any such case of anyone getting stuck in hypnosis.

This is covered in even the most basic of hypnosis training.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I think you are all stuck in hypnosis.
tiriri
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
247 Posts

Profile of tiriri
It seems that the fact of someone getting stuck to his chair was discussed before on this forum at:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=22&2

Anyway I was just goggling it and there are hundreds of references on the Internet including videos.

So I think at this point it will be wise to ask our British friends that probably saw it life ore have more serious references to that particular performance, because being at another continent I can just rely on what I red on the internet and get on cable.

So British friends: How much of the news about getting stuck to the chair is true???

Thanks a lot for your answers!

Giovanni.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
No one got stuck to a chair for twelve hours. It doesn't matter how often it was mentioned on the internet. It didn't happen.

It reminds me of what happened when I was performing in a pub once night. One of the barmen got his hands stuck at the start of the show, and they remained stuck for the duration of the show. At the end I was told of the problem and released his hands.

I didn't bother to explain to his boss that he was putting it on to get out of work for two hours, so that he could watch my show. But that is what had happened, and we both knew it.
tiriri
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
247 Posts

Profile of tiriri
That's a very funny story Tony Smile
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
At half time during a theatre performance a guy came up to me said his girlfriend was acting weird. her hands were stuck and she was in a daze and had been since show started. So I unstuck her hands and told her she was feeling great and would really have a great time enjoying the rest of the show.

At the end of the show she was jumping and cheering clapping her hands even after everybody else left.

She might still be for all I know.
ScHeRzO
View Profile
New user
Ecuador
63 Posts

Profile of ScHeRzO
Thank you all, yes, being in trance is a natural state of mind so I was right hypnosis is totally safe when done properly, but what would it be to do it in a wrong way? Probably those stories about people staying in a hypnotic trace a completle mith.

SCHERZO

Posted: Oct 6, 2009 1:44pm
So you should be definetly a therapist or even more a psycologist to act on stage, because you will never know whats going to happen! In other words is it dangerous or irresponsable to release a book or a DVD with hypnotic inductions for gerenal public?

Scherzo
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4095 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Same can be said about performing mentalism! I don't see hypnosis as being any worse off as performing mentalism. If you perform within reasonable ethical and safe parameters that is A-OK.

Remember Uri Gellar, how about John Edwards? Think about that, they are doing potentially equally damaging things as a hypnotist may do. Also don't start telling me how a hypnotist can suggest potentially dangerous suggestions and have adverse effects because if you remember, John Edwards talks to the bloody dead! It comes down to ethics and performing with self administrated guidelines. This does not mean in any way that people should AVOID performing hypnosis anywhere apart from a "proper" venue. I don't see psych degrees for most therapy hypnotists yet they have a clinical hypnosis practice? I see hypnosis to be as equally dangerous as a person driving a car. If something goes awry, it's really a issue with the person on the person's level. Proper study of hypnosis should always give understanding of safety precautions but in the end, it's ultimately the hypnotist/performer who either follows that or not.

It's not dangerous to release such material to the public IF proper safety is covered in a proficient manner. If a hypnotist can suggest people to do things with adverse effect then so could a mentalist or even a magician. Same can be said about any influential public figure or public speaker.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2009-10-05 19:51, TonyB2009 wrote:
No one got stuck to a chair for twelve hours. It doesn't matter how often it was mentioned on the internet. It didn't happen.

It reminds me of what happened when I was performing in a pub once night. One of the barmen got his hands stuck at the start of the show, and they remained stuck for the duration of the show. At the end I was told of the problem and released his hands.

I didn't bother to explain to his boss that he was putting it on to get out of work for two hours, so that he could watch my show. But that is what had happened, and we both knew it.

You don't know that for sure. I have had people with stuck hands for the duration of 2 hours before I released them. I have had people in trance (sleepers) throughout the duration of the show. It could be that you put your perceptual spin on things because you don't believe hypnosis exists. It must be strange doing something you don't believe exists. Even when its obvious it does.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Hi Mindpunisher. I do know for sure no one got stuck in a chair for twelve hours. And I do know for sure the guy who had his hands stuck for the duration of my show was skivving off work.

The world is a far simpler place than we might like to believe. There is no need to look beyond the obvious for explanations. Tony.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Obvious explanations? So he didn't tell you he was skiving? I would've thought the obvious explanation was that his hands were stuck together. So basically your calling him a liar. Of course one explanation is you could be right on one occasion.

Deos that mean in your world everybody who's hands stick together are skiving? Or pretending just to make you look good?

>>>The world is a far simpler place than we might like to believe There is no need to look beyond the obvious for explanations. Tony<<<<

Yeah right Tony much simpler than you like to believe. Do you really think everybody pretends?
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Kissdadookie, I respectfully disagree. You haven't shown that Geller, Edwards, or any hypnotist have damaged anyone. Instead, you mention "potential" damage. Well, having lived for more than a few years, I would state that screwed up parents have created more actual damage to their children than all the mentalists, hypnotists, magicians, and other performers and therapists multiplied ten times over.

To denounce hypnotherapists for not having psych degrees (although many do--you're just not looking in the right places) is like criticizing plumbers for not having degrees in philosophy. Hypnotherapy is NOT psychotherapy, although they can work together. Clinical hypnotherapy is NOT clinical psychology. There is no reason for a hypnotherapist to have a degree in psych unless he or she is going to be a psychologist. For a person to be a hypnotherapist, however, means they should have thorough training in hypnotherapy--far more than a "weekend wonder" training.

Finally, you can release all of the safety material you want. It's irrelevant if someone isn't going to study it or pay attention to it. I agree that safety should be considered as vital in books, DVD, and in-person trainings. However saying that including such material covers the teacher/writer's butt may be legally true, but is ethically questionable. Here in the U.S. they often show ads with someone who took a pill and lost 100 pounds in a couple of months. In tiny print it will say "results not typical" to legally cover their butts. Ethically, it's still a scam.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4095 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Dmkraig, you've understood me in the opposite direction. LoL. The reason I've mention Gellar and Edwards is because there WAS NOT ADVERSE EFFECT! Ha ha ha.

Why don't you fully read what I posted instead of skimming through it? Because you've obviously got the entirely wrong idea of what I was saying.

All I've been trying to point out is that ethics is ultimately up to the person which in this case is the hypnotist. Pure and simple. Christ, I am quite annoyed at how I am very thorough with my posts yet people only SKIM through what is actually written instead of actually bothering to read and comprehend the whole darn thing.

Bottom line, my message is as follows: DO NOT SHY AWAY FROM PERFORMING HYPNOSIS UNLESS YOU YOURSELF HAVE DOUBTS OF YOUR OWN PROFICIENCIES AND ABILITY TO PROVIDE A SAFE EXPERIENCE.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Is there any danger with hypnosis? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL