The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sniper Pad from Al Straker & Outlaw Effects (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
music
View Profile
Special user
606 Posts

Profile of music
Where are the reviews?
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Music, there are at least 4 reviews in this thread, how many would you like to make a decision on a new product, bearing in mind that people outside of Australia have only just got them early this month or late last month??

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12587 Posts

Profile of John C
What are the pros vs the butterfly? Or is this pad just another way to do it?

j
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
afuoco
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia
207 Posts

Profile of afuoco
I sent Al an email asking him these question but he must be busy. Can anyone help with answers.

(1) If I have them print a movie title--perhaps with the Quinn recommendation of a blunt marker--would I be able to read it?

(2) The effect I'm doing requires two separate writings. The first spec writes and then I write. I immediately move on to a second spec who writes then I write. Can I reset the pad on the fly between specs and use it twice or do I need two pads?

(3) Can I use my own paper pad with your gimmick (s) ? For another effect I'm doing I would like to use two pads that have different colored paper.

Thanks in advance
Arnie
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
I'll chime in with my two cents...

1) If the movie title is something along the lines of "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford", then I don't care how blunt your marker is, it's not gonna fit. Obviouisly "Jaws", "Shrek", "Psycho" -- no problem. Ideally, you're hoping for something along the lines of "The Wizard of Oz" or "All the Presidents Men".

2) More than likely you'll need two pads. I say "more than likely" because maybe you come up with some clever, real time way to clear the pad, but typically, you'd need two pads.

3) Yes, you can make up your own pad, extra supplies are provided for that.

Overall, I'm very happy with my Sniper.

Hope that helps.
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
I've already hinted at my suggestion for a real time way to clear the pad, and it works quite well. Al said he was including it in the instructions but I am unsure if he did.
afuoco
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia
207 Posts

Profile of afuoco
Thanks Mr MindBender and Luke--It certainly helps.
Arnie
AlluTallu
View Profile
Veteran user
Finland
394 Posts

Profile of AlluTallu
This is very good but not as good as the butterfly! I find the butterfly more practical and the impression with is clearer and more detailed.

Just my honest opinion.

-Aleksi Hietanen
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1129 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Quote:
On 2009-11-24 10:09, AlluTallu wrote:
This is very good but not as good as the butterfly! I find the butterfly more practical and the impression with is clearer and more detailed.

Just my honest opinion.

-Aleksi Hietanen

Thanks so much for your honest comment, I value all feedback and fully expected there woud be some people who prefer other pads for their own personal reasons. I am a great fan and owner of many of Riggs' awesome products including the Butterfly. Both products have their own pros and cons and I do agree the impressions are clearer and more detailed with Butterfly.

Al Smile
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2009-11-24 10:09, AlluTallu wrote:

Just my honest opinion.

-Aleksi Hietanen

They both have very good methods. I like the natural peek of the Sniper pad, and I like the image on the butterfly too.

As far as seeing the image on the Sniper I don't see any issue though. For a drawing dupe it's pretty easy to tell what the spec drew.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Garrad
View Profile
Elite user
454 Posts

Profile of Garrad
I love the Rigg's imp devices and the clearness of the impression is second to none, a huge advantage. One advantage that the Sniper Pad has over the Rigg's pads is that you can reset it instantly right infront of them and they will never know. This allows you to use the pad several times with the same group. I admit that the reset does not take long with the Riggs devices but you have to expose the gimmick or watch your angles carefully to do so. Riggs will always be better for writing.
You might say reality is the result of complex negotiations between the observer and the observed. But that is simply a point of view.

Many Thanks
Garrad
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1129 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Yes, Garrad (Mike) has kindly provided a write up of his real time reset tip that will be added to the instructions on the next production run. Anyone else who has already received their pad can request this tip via email.
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
cytoplasm
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of cytoplasm
Hi all, I'm a bit slow to hear about this one but having read the reviews have quickly ordered one. Can anyone tell me if there are demos anywhere of a sniper pad in action? Would love to see what it looks like before being exposed to the secret. Also Al would you mind PM'ing me the explanation as to why you prefer Artline markers over Sharpies.

Can't wait to receive this one but unfortunately it is likely to be quite a long wait as I live all the way over in England. Will post a review when I get it but in the mean time would appreciate it if anyone can let me know about a demo somewhere and if Al could take the time to message me.

Many thanks,
Ravi
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3000 Posts

Profile of 252life
This topic looks long abandonded..but I will press on.

I recently had the pleasure of corresponding with Al Straker.
First off, what a gentleman!

I've just recently had the pleasure of reading his handling/performance scripting.
Along with his construction directions.
All incredably well thought out.

Can't wait to put it all to use.

Best to all, and thanks to Mr. Straker Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sniper Pad from Al Straker & Outlaw Effects (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL