The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Brass Okito box? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
I'm looking for a good brass Okito box. I have found a few online but I'm not too sure as to what I am really getting though. I noticed that Tango sells an Okito box for a US Half Dollar but the one I found is silver and I'm not too sure if that will be good for me. Then I found a Boston slot Okito box in brass but it looks silver in the picture. Can anybody comment on this or give some more suggestions?

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=10668
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Hey Mark, There are tons of coin boxes out there. Jim Zee has a really nice set. David Roth has a set out there as well. For most sleights/routines any box will work, but for my routines, and sleights that I use, I found the Buddha boxes work best for me.

Best,
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
That silver appearance is mostly the shine, but that will dull quickly with any box. Mine was like that at first, and it hasn't been a week and it's brass as can be.
TravisRobertson
View Profile
Regular user
Cedar Rapids, IA USA
199 Posts

Profile of TravisRobertson
I have a Johnson Okito box and a Johnson Boston box and I like them very much. Mine are both brass but Im not sure that they will accomodate a shell in addition to the coins as I have never tried. However, they are definitely very nice boxes for the price.
I am looking to buy Pressley Guitar items in good condition. Send me a PM for details.
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
I've worked with a bunch of boxes. Currently I work with the Roth set. However, prior to that I worked with the Johnson boxes also. Those were awesome. The Johnson set that I had didn't accomodate a shell. So if that's cool with you I'd go for that set or box (as you can get them individually).
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
I definitely won't be working on Cill's coin box material Smile David was selling his set at the lecture but I didn't have the $100 to spend. Any other suggestions guys? It might be between Tango and Johnson
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
A box is a box ... and they will all do the job. Not unless you have specific need such as rim height, and circumference (for the [). If you are looking for a Boston then there may be issues with the fit on the flip side. For most Okito routines any box would do.

What box are you looking for Mark? An Okito, a Boston or a Slot?
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Quote:
On 2009-10-06 22:12, MarkTirone wrote:
I definitely won't be working on Cill's coin box material Smile

Why not? he has some cool work on the boxes ?
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
My brass boxes can be bright with a little "brasso", or dull after a while.

They have also been other colors temporarily.

Harris

PS. I second the ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ boxes, though I also have a generic Boston box.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Hehe, I was joking about Bill's material. He has some very good work on Okito boxes. I would prefer a boston box but an okito will be fine too. Is a standard Okito box just a box with a lid or does it have something I don't know about?
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
If you've not used an Okito before I recommend the Johnson, they're well made an attractively priced. I used the Johnson boxes for many years. Jim Zee's boxes can also be purchased individually and would also make an excellent choice. You can always expand later if you need to adding any of the specialty boxes.
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
494 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
I have a Z Slot box and love it. But...a friend of mine got a David Roth Okito set when he was in NYC and I have to tell you I think it is a step above. I wouldn't mind getting one if I get chance. But the Z box is more than sufficient.

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
So it's between the Johnson and Tango box. Hmmm.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2009-10-07 20:54, MarkTirone wrote:
So it's between the Johnson and Tango box. Hmmm.

If you are just starting ... the Johnson O-Kort-O set is fine - gotta start with a set you can drop, dent, make mistakes and maybe even fumble with the advanced moves for a while IMHO. Again IMHO you are doing well to get the least expensive set for halves (unless you are using quarters) and play for a few weeks and then ask friends to show you the nicer stuff after you find you can't do rim steals etc with the ones you have. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
I'm not the most interested in spending an arm and a leg for an Okito box. I just want to get started for now and learn all the material I can with one before upgrading
magicblademan
View Profile
Special user
uk
523 Posts

Profile of magicblademan
Get a Jim Zee one there great, been learning stuff myself and the Jim Zee ones are just right ...Once you have one you will learn the material as you will find many great ideas with it.You will not be disappointed.
If you put the time in....you will achieve ...
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
494 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
I got a Tango Okito 3 box set from Jake Jr. and I was pleasantly surprised how nice they were. If you are on a tight budget I give Tango the thumbs up.

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Another vote for the Z boxes.
(It also sounds like you need to invest in a copy of Bobo's coin book)
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
I have Bobo's and I also have the expanded Bobo's.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I recently purchased a Tango Slot box, and while the quality seems good, the sides of the box are extremely thick. It just makes the entire prop a bit larger, because the lid has to be larger to fit over the box.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Brass Okito box? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL