The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Lock/Combination - Wedding Rings question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Greetings!

Question on the effect Wedding Rings (or could also be Luvr's Lock as well).

I have been performing this for a little bit, and each time I get asked the question... "Does it always open on the third try?" Does it matter to you if they guess something like this, or is there a way that you sell the fact that it can be any number of tries?

I hope this makes some sense.

Thanks!

RevJohn
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4477 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Three is a magic number.

So, in this effect, you want to try avoiding it whenever possible.

I use this for walk-around, so I get everyone involved in the group that I'm presently entertaining by asking them for significant numbers to try on the lock.

Only when it's clear we've exhausted the possibilities, do I have the original volunteer successfully open the lock.

The trick is to make the whole proceedings seem as impromptu as possible.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Try paul brook's Locked in Thought instead, genuine lock, genuinely examinable and reset by anyone...and you can unlock it...you'll have to re-jig your presentation, but its a very nice bit of work...it uses 3 tumblers - so the year and month they met as an example...
I've asked to be banned
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
When doing any kind of combination lock effect, I always allow the person to "please, try another combination, if you like," which offers the assurance that it's not simply the number of attempts. And, curiously, they rarely go past 3 attempts on their own.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Lock/Combination - Wedding Rings question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL