We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Designing your own coin routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kungfujon
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Kungfujon
Thanks for the tip. I'll check out the local shop and see if they have a copy.
Jon Barmore
St. Augustine, Florida
Coin and Close-up
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1880 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Listen to the guys who are advising to first "see your routine like a movie". Never concern yourself with method in the early stages...it will hold you up and get you no where. You'll be so hypnotized by countless methods you'll never create a thing.

For example: I slowly pass a signed, borrowed quarter through the bottom of borrowed drinking glass. It passes through slowly while the audience watches. No cover. When it pushes all the way through, I swirl it around and hand out the glass with the signed coin inside.

Whatever....something stupid like that. Now the work starts. How do I make this effect a reality? Where are the compromises? do I need gimmicks? are they invented, or does this involve something new.

See it like a movie. Fully edited with special effects and audience reactions. This will tell you everything you need to know.
mrehula
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of mrehula
VernonOnCoins:

Amen
Kungfujon
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Kungfujon
VernonOnCoins -

Yeah. I've worked that part out. I have the "amazing movie" version in my head.

Now I'm beginning to work through sorting out what I need to pull that off. The three resources I have are:
1) Sleights I already know
2) Gaffed coins
3) Sleights I don't know about

My goal is to use them in that order. Try to do everything with sleights I know. Toss in a gaff/gimmick if necessary. Then I'll research new sleights to see if there is anything more efficient out there. Over time, as I continue to learn new sleights, I'll replace as necessary and hopefully end up with a nice, tight, gaff-free routine. Time to pour through Bobo's again...
Jon Barmore
St. Augustine, Florida
Coin and Close-up
Pablo Leal
View Profile
Regular user
Chile
187 Posts

Profile of Pablo Leal
Quote:
On 2009-10-08 01:03, wsduncan wrote:
Assuming you believe that performance is about self-expression, in a perfect world, you’d have an idea for a script, and create a method to convey that idea. Sculptors don’t start chipping away at the stone without knowing what’s inside. What do you want the magic to “say” about you? What do you want to say with the magic?
Exactly!! I think that's the key to any good performance.

Let's take any coin routine.

"Why" do you want to make a coins across routine? Because you like it, because it's visual, because it's impromptu, because it fits a theme you want to say, because it's fast, because it's slow... "What" do you want your audience to feel? Amazement, Amusement, relaxation, stress, happiness, sadness, innocence... "How" do you want to be seen as a magician? Serious, funny, skillful, non skillful, mysterious, irreverent, elegant, crazy... Etc, etc, etc.

The "Why" should be important ONLY for you as a performer, it may or may not be necessary into the construction of your presentations.

Pablo
"The one that seeks for the truth takes the chance to find it". Isabel Allende

www.magopabloleal.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Designing your own coin routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL