The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » College circuit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
Is there a good source of information out there on getting into the college circuit?
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Although I have no personal experience in that area, I understand that to have any chance at all of being a serious contender in that market it is almost mandatory that you exhibit/showcase at one or two (I think there are two of them) major showcase events attended by the folks who book that circuit. I also understand that showcasing/exhibiting at those events is: 1) costly and 2) there is a strict screening process required before you are accepted. Of course, since I have never been in that market myself, the information I've given is strictly second-hand.

Also, be aware that whether the aforementioned information is completely accurate or not, like the tradeshow market the college circuit is one of the most highly competitive markets out there and you will be competing with the likes of Banachek, Karges, Conover, Salem, etc.
Dick Christian
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2167 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Ask banachek: he will tell you all the inner secrets he learned thru trial and error.

but then he will have to kill you Smile
Christophercarter
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of Christophercarter
The best info available comes directly from NACA.org. If I recall correctly, they offer an information packet for potential members that briefly addresses some of the key issues of selling to the campus market. Banachek discusses the college market on one of his DVDs, and the advice he offers is good, but there is really no substitute for going to some conferences and seeing for yourself. Dick Christian is right, it is a very competitive market. But you won't be competing with Tim Conover or Marc Salem.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10195 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
No, but you will competing with Christopher Carter, Banachek, and Craig Karges though.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1739 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
It's a really crazy market but a fun one. I had the privilege to do my first National Showcase this past February in Nashville. It took three years for me to get this showcase position. Some folks never get a showcase at the Nationals but you are more likely to get a showcase at one of the many regional conferences.

You'll spend a lot of time and years getting into this market before it starts to pay off.

-Patrick
siepielski
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of siepielski
http://www.apca.com/

This is a great way to enter the market also.
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
502 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
Jonathan

Here's a thread that was posted about 3 years ago. PM me for the e-book, it's no longer available.

Make $100,000+ in the College Market as a Speaker
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44

Walter
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
I approached a university in Northeast Ohio. My friend's wife works in the student events office, so I thought it might be a relatively easy way to get in. Nope. Have to go through the ACPA. I have not pursued it any further.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Christian & Katalina
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Christian & Katalina
Katalina and I have worked the college market quite extensively. First, Chris Carter is a master of this market (entertainer of the year award) and I would listen very carefully to what he says. The man is an animal in this market.

It is not an easy market to break into. Patrick gives you great insight into that. It will cost you a couple thousand dollars to enter this market. Sure, every now and then someone gets lucky and slips into a single college gig. But to sustain yourself in this market will take a great deal of work.

Additionally, it is a rough and tumble market. The audiences can be brutal. They do not pay to watch your show and if you do not hold their interest, they can/will either heckle you or walk out of your show. They have no skin in the game. We have watched more than a couple of entertainers destroyed by a tough audience. One college audience we played this year caused a performer leave the stage in tears.

You will need to have a polished show. You will need to be hip or at least understand what that means to a college audience. A few years back, a college (over Halloween) hired us (mentalists) and a magician for the night. The magician showed up in a tux . . . wow. He was not prepared for this kind of audience and was devastated by the audience within 20 minutes.

You must be prepared for audiences to challenge you. They will come to your show knowing all the youtube tricks and call you on them. Sometimes you get the amateur or hobbyist magician/mentalist that wants to show all their classmates that they know more than the performer. You never know what will happen in this market.

We have seen more than a couple of Mentalists/Magicians think because they can perform some neat tricks that they have a college show. A show is much different than a string of neat bar tricks for so many reasons. And a college show is different than a corporate show.

On top of all that, your venues are varied to say the least. On one night we have worked a multimillion dollar stage with sound and lighting techs and the very next day been in the corner of a dingy Caféteria with a floor that sticks to your shoes.

You show has to be flexible and quick witted. You must be prepared for all the questions you hate to answer. Do you have high quality video, posters, table tents, contracts (specific for this market), insurance, and marketing packets? Are you ready to drop the money for NACA and APCA?

We have worked this market for over 7 years and it has been fun and rewarding but . . . . it is not easy.
Milbourne Christopher Award for Mentalism 2011
The Annemann Award for Menatalism 2016
Author of "Protoplasm" Close-up Mentalism
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
502 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
Victor A. Gonzalez is the author of “Make $100,000+ in the College Market” e-book.

See the man in action:

Documentary Film Trailer - "The Motivator"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk_doNYA6......embedded

Motivational Speaker Victor Antonio on the Ripple Effect & Impacting Others
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHU0-Lsx5-U&feature=related

Setting Nasty Goals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HlUzSYqWjA&feature=related

His website:
http://www.victorantonio.com/store/1710021/home
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
Thanks Christian and Katalina! I totally understand what you mean about college audiences. I think that would be the perfect audience for me, but most performers don't go over well. It definitely needs a certain "fit".

I'm not ready yet, but in the not too distant future once I perfect the show in the corporate market I want to eventually move in this direction (I think it's a better fit).

Thanks very much for your help. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » College circuit (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL