The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Doing it for real (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Is there anyone else on this Café who secretly dedicates a certain amount of their show to "Doing It For Real"?

Not to start a war here. Just wanted to know 'Who's With Me!!!!" as Bluto would say Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q47bpOCTcaY
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
I always cheat. That means I'm always correct!

Seriously tho, I sometimes add psychological experiments into my shows, most are effects that can be brushed off as just getting to know the spectators mind if they don't work like Disposable Colour and things like that.

I never rely on these methods for the main effects tho.

M
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
That's good ... Talk it over Smile

If you have nine bonna fide hits, why not WALK ON THE WILD SIDE ?

No one went with Bluto at first Smile

But later it was LET'S DO IT !!!!!!!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1739 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
I do a few things 'for real' in my show. Prevaricator / which hand / and so on are certainly some of those items.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
For real is called "Intuition" and I use it every time I do my Q&A...
xxx
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Excellent !!!! Now we are getting somewhere. Smile
Many Mentalists in the past came to the conclusion after years of performances that something REAL could be attained in the art of Mental Mysteries.
stashu
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of stashu
Lets just say I don't have pingpong balls taped to my eyes under red light while listening to white noise for fun during my q&a! Smile
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
Tonight ladies and gents ,Im going to lie to you non stop , but we're going to have fun nevertheless.............................
E.O.I
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
I get a thrill from putting guesses out there. There's nothing like a real "hit," whether it came from pure guesswork or subconscious recognition of clues. I can truthfully say "Sometimes even I'm not sure how I do these things." After reading about years of psi research, I doubt such hits evidence psychic abilities. Such moments aren't "real" to me in the psychic sense, yet something IS really happening, and I'm not completely sure what that something is. I have my theories.

Making bold statements is worth the risk. Making soft, then bold, statements during Q&A works; I've seen it work. Skipping the soft statements and going straight for the bold isn't a risk I often take, but in the context of a show, maybe I should. It certainly works well for TV psychics. It could work well for a self-proclaimed mentalist.

Up close, Andrew Gerard's "Ultimate Imagination" fits the bill. It's pretty reliable, and it's real. Pendulum/ideomotor demonstrations are real. "Jazz ESP" is one I've gotten good at; I use the outs less frequently... I often place a card down on the table, then the participant places the matching card in front of them... for real. It works again and again. I wouldn't try it in a formal show without having a backup plan, though. I like to experiment with the real, but I'd rather have the reliable ready to close with.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2009-10-08 15:58, markthorold wrote:
Tonight ladies and gents ,Im going to lie to you non stop , but we're going to have fun nevertheless.............................

Mark ... we aren't talking about Penn and Teller here Smile
Hannusen, Mann, Ted, and dozens of other mentalists that had performed for years all stated that going the extra step was possible if not demanded by a growing and learning mentalist.

This thread is for those who agree. Not for those who don't Smile
stashu
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of stashu
I cant prove psychic phenomena exists, on a fundamental basic level of logic that falls under proving a negative and that's impossible,

so...

I don't know if Im a psychic, and I don't know if I possess genuine psychic abilities, I do know that if I do, I'm not unique we all have this ability...

Its funny because lately in closeup Ive been writing down, and concentrating upon transmitting the name of Country, with the expectation the recevier gets it wrong, so I can establish trust & rapport by confessing my miss, giving reason to start off with something a little easier for me to transmitt such as a target number for example.

LATELY, when I don't want somehting to work, and I have no expectation that it will, it does... which is very, very strange!!!

I live and die by a quote from psychic samurai which was something like

"it is 100% true to claim that you do what you do with the power of your mind"

I believe that is true, Im not the only one that thinks so, many leading neurscientists looking into exceptional human functioning have confessed the power of the mind is not fully utilised, and is capable of things we cant possibly imagine,

From that angle I seem to get on very well with everyone! Of course if they don't share the same point of view as myself, and they don't believe in the power of thier mind, that's okay with me too, because whether you think you can or you think you cant your right!
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
I don't do anything for real but everything I do is not faked in any way.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Okay, I'm gonna get a lot of **** for this. I do a very well known suggestion. It is pure psychology, linguistics and a ton of confidence. I've probably done this over a hundred times. I swear I have achieved 100% success. It's forcing a Triangle. I posted my take on the suggestion elsewhere in The Café. Basically I draw a picture of a triangle (unseen), fold it up, hand it to them. give them the patter, they name a shape and (so far) they name "triangle". They unfold the paper and there's the triangle. No switches, no moves, no pre-show LOL. Is that the real deal? I guess it depends how you define the real deal.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
On a recent Live radio show I performed something that many may recognize. I allowed the Host a TRUE SELECTION of any celebrity he desired. He also had a selection of FUTURES that was NOT FORCED in any way, as many here already know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7pLdJpz8Hw

I left the Future prediction wide open to the celebrity selection ....

Within ten days I had a direct hit.(Aside from the 100% direct hits at the event)

Crystal ... there was a Worldwide release of The Crystal Adventure (Video game) !!!!!

Universal Pictures had purchased the movie "Land of the Lost" with Will Ferrell ... the key word was finance or purchase.

Within a few months it was the Biggest Financial Loser of the Year! (Not all predictions are good Smile )
The worst purchase Universal has made in over a decade.

That week Will Ferrel's video "Invisible FIRE" got almost 100,000 youtube hits.

None of these things could have been foreknown in any way. The celebrity selection was totally random.

These things happened "For Real" Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I just do it with style...
I've asked to be banned
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2009-10-08 16:34, kinesis wrote:
Okay, I'm gonna get a lot of S**t for this. I do a very well known suggestion. It is pure psychology, linguistics and a ton of confidence. I've probably done this over a hundred times. I swear I have achieved 100% success. It's forcing a Triangle. I posted my take on the suggestion elsewhere in The Café. Basically I draw a picture of a triangle (unseen), fold it up, hand it to them. give them the patter, they name a shape and (so far) they name "triangle". They unfold the paper and there's the triangle. No switches, no moves, no pre-show LOL. Is that the real deal? I guess it depends how you define the real deal.

That's the Spirit!!!!!

Now I challenge you to try something else that is not 100%.
As soon as you've mastered that, then on to something else ... See the possibilities?
Bertrand Thornley
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
278 Posts

Profile of Bertrand Thornley
History and research has proven our faculty of "reason" evolves like everything else. The more sophisticated our reason, the more open to the trans-rational we are. Not pre-rational but...post or TRANSrational!

I raise a glass(of rum) to Psychic Samurai. He has respect for the unfolding Mystery.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business." Tom Robbins

Personal Revelation: I'm not a hippopotamus
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Thanks BT !!! Smile

Rum when you come to Orlando ... That goes for everyone on either side of the coin too!

My studies on Hanussen have been very enlightening and thought provoking. The concept of Shut Eye has always intrigued me. Why?
Why would someone whose spent all those years performing and studying decide that the Mysteries DO exist?

His predictions were simply amazing before his assassination. (Please...NO.... HE SHOULD HAVE SEEN IT COMING ... reports are that he actually did but there was little escape in Nazi Germany)

I hope to hear more stories about those of you who are not afraid to give "The Real Thing" a try now and then Smile
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
I'm an advocate of 'doing it for real' to the greatest extent possible.

My approach to mentalism is a lot different than most in that I ALWAYS attempt to achieve my effects through psychological means, intuition, hypnosis, rapport/leading/compliance, suggestion, natural knowing and intuition FIRST AND FOREMOST. Granted, performing in such a manner and fashion is risky and bold (that's why I love it) and I only use classical mentalism as an 'out' for failed REAL phenomena in a theatrical performance environment.

If I'm giving a public demonstration or private reading/workshop where it's billed (and accepted or assumed) as the REAL DEAL then if I'm wrong or make a mistake or misinterpret something I accept that I'm wrong and do nothing to change that fact - I just move on and intend to do my very best with my god-given abilities. I gave up the lust for 'hits' and always being 'right' or 'dead on' many years ago.

Today I do my best to share magic and natural abilities that inspires REAL MAGIC to happen all around and within us. When my REAL gifts, ablities, 'methods' and techniques fail me (and at this stage they succeed for what I do more than they falter) I can resort to classical methods which don't require any gaffs or gimmicks. Everything I do can be done with normal, every day items and even better if they are borrowed.

Examples of this might be a zodiac sign divination, 'TERASABOS', a psychological pulse stop or drawing duplication, magic squares, an impromptu/gaffless book test, my 'Thought Channel', 'True Telepathy', Contact Mind Reading, Psychological Forces, Body Magic and other such methods, routines and demonstrations. Even when what I do is not 'real' it's REAL in that I'm not employing gimmicks, many of these demonstrations are not 100% and CAN (and will!) fail at times and yet they FEEL 100% real to my audience because traditional trickery, deception and illusions are not present. There is no magicians guilt. I offer miracles that are not so miraculous as to cause them to NOT be believed. While the material I use is very strong none of it is over the top or too outrageous to be mistaken for the real thing. One point in the criteria I have for my own material is that even if what I'm doing is a 'trick' it has to be indistinguishable from the real thing.

Because I take this approach I now shy away from things which cannot (or better said, which I CANNOT) do for REAL. Things like metal bending, TK/PK and other such demonstrations are no longer parts of my program. In my current show, program and lecture I stick with audience/group readings (Q&A with no gaffs, no preshow work and no preparation) and as Jay Are said, I prefer to utilize my own natural knowing, intuition, creativity and heartfelt impressions/gut response as the primary method. If I'm OFF (which I admit happens a lot!) or I'm having a bad night/under a lot of stress (as I am currently) I have other means I can fall back on - and those means are strictly a LAST RESORT, not my first intention.

At this point in my performing career I don't usually incorporate gaffs, gimmicks, preshow work, stooges, covert electronics or anything even closely resembling them as the methods I use (though I do enjoy tinkering with such things at times to boost my own creative process and discover ways of achieving what they can do WITHOUT them!). Instead I use the 'methods' mentioned at the beginning of this post to create 'mentalism-like' effects with NON MENTALISM means and most of my methods are ones I've developed myself or have come from OUTSIDE the mentalism community.

Because my material consists of a nearly even split between hypnosis and intuitive/psychic readings this isn't a problem for me. My current program is ALL audience readings/Q&A. I might even toss in a Past Life Regression, energy balancing, hands on healing or even a spiritual blessing at times. I certainly can't and don't consider myself a mentalist in the traditional, classic or strictest sense of the word. I hang out on these forums because I love magic, I love mind reading and I've learned A TON about speaking, working in front of large groups of people, customizing a program, lecture or demonstration, writing a working format, engaging and entertaining people, scripting, timing, pacing, theatre and other tools which are useful for professionals in other industries as well such as salesmen, public speakers, authors, lecturers, trainers, consultants, life coaches and so on and so forth. I love mentalism for what it is and for what is was to me and still IS to me. It's a wonderful creative exercise and some of my best friends are magicians and mentalists.

Between readings and hypnosis there is very little I can't do, I work clean and I enjoy the work I do, as does my audience. I believe VERY STRONGLY in the REAL stuff as part of my life, personal experience and spiritual beliefs... I always have and always will and I'm not afraid to say it. I've done, seen and experienced too much to convince me otherwise.

There are a number of fantastic mentalists who advocate 'doing it for real' or AT LEAST 'trying it for real.' Immediately such people as Millard Longman, Enrique Enriquez, John Riggs, Tony I, Kenton and a few others come to mind.

Whether or not what we do is achieved through so called 'psychic' or 'supernatural' means or via 'psychological' and 'intuitive' methods varies based on the individual. I certainly CANNOT/would not/won't presume to know or tell you guys exactly what each of these fine gentlemen believes about what they do on a personal level, but what I do know is that each of them seems open to the possibility of creating miracles without trickery and sharing experiences and possibilities (with and) without deception.

So does not using gaffs and gimmicks make an experience 'real?' Certainly not, at least I don't think so - if it's fake then it's fake through any means or method.

I do believe that using our natural knowing, intuition, creativity/imagination, gut responses and other means of gaining information is a REAL, viable method for use in performance mentalism and can have dramatic, deep, impressive and touching results. It's something I wish more mentalists would be open to. To me there is nothing sadder than magicians who don't believe in magic or mind readers who don't/can't/won't/refuse to embrace THE POSSIBILITY of real mind reading or at least try it (or at the very least NOT harp on those of us who do).
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I can & DO embrace...nice post Jerome!

Nathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Doing it for real (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL