The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Close-up (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Hi everyone,
Close up magic is a fascinating thing and interests me a lot more than all the other types of magic. I have to try an decide what is the best type of magic for me to go into. Stage magic, Kids magic. It is all very interesting but close up always wins hands down for me. What is your favourite type of magic and favourite trick within this type Smile
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Marcelo
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Marcelo
Close-up for sure. Favorite trick...hummm there are too many favorites...
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Even though I'm a mentalist I love Close-Up Magic. And I happen to like cards, there are many amazing effects out there! In fact my two latest booklets deal with card effects.

:firedevil:
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I have loved close up since sitting as a young preadolescent boy watching Magic Ranch on Saturdays. What I tend to make the most money at, however is what was once called platform. Schools, birthday parties, block parties, etc.

I also have a high respect for illusions and those who perform them. Assuming they perform them well.

Mentalism, I am warming up to, but only slightly above room temperature for the time being. Give me time.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
markkwan
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of markkwan
Close up magic is probably my favorite. Its more affordable than stage props and it packs just as much of a bang. Impromptu's are the best.
What good is a night, when you can't break it.
VampOfVegas
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
56 Posts

Profile of VampOfVegas
I love close up, its the whole in your face thing that gets me interested. Well my favorite trick? Well most people keep telling me to do ambitious. But my fav has to be the Micro 5 vanishes/changes. Cept I messed up my TV for 6 hrs and killed a credit card.
-=:Va(v)p:=-
Socrates
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Socrates
Impromptu magic is great and the best thing about Close-up is the fact that it happens right under their noses.

Socrates
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
My favourite is close-up, for one main reason. For many spectators, even for those who previously thought they knew how an effect was performed, tell everyone, "No way! I was right there! There's no WAY he used one of those fake thumbs (or trick cards, or weird coins, or whatever). When it's right in front of their eyes, they think (ha ha) that they can see everything, and that nothing can slip by them.
Dan McLean Jr
myshadow
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of myshadow
If performing "impromptu" and close-up then Crazy Man's handcuffs takes some beating. I guess its because the bands are just normal every day objects that people find the effect so amazing
MagicDiva
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia
43 Posts

Profile of MagicDiva
I am in love with all types of Magic, however the type that seems to love me back is Close-up. Even though I would like to break out into Kids and Stage someday. I don't think I will ever stop performing and loving close-up.

-Amelia Smile
animatey
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of animatey
For me close up is what Al Schnieder calls virtual magic, you know magic is divided into roughly three catagories there's stage magic where you act to suspend disbelieve, the kids magic where you have comedy magic and close up which comes close to real magic.
truellusionist
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia PA
36 Posts

Profile of truellusionist
Close-Up hands down is my preferred type of magic. I love it becuase spectators are can touch, feel, and become more engaged in the what is happening. That makes the Magic all the more real and moving for them. Smile

O'keito
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I am surprsed at the number of responses similar to being "in your face" and "no chance to think it's not magic".

For me it is the intimacy of close-up that has the appeal. Getting close to your audience and inviting them in. Magic isn't just a spectator sport but to be experienced.

To me this is the essence of doing close-up. Otherwise you're just another clever person showing off. (That statement is more harsh than I want it to be but I can't come up with a more precise way to state it).
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
truellusionist
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia PA
36 Posts

Profile of truellusionist
I agree Frankft, you're not being harsh at all. What you said is what I was trying to get at, but you put it into better words, and I couldn't find the words. The intimacy is what has me hooked. Smile

O'keito
Flores Magic
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
54 Posts

Profile of Flores Magic
Close-up lets the spectators become a part or your magic. I just love seeing the reaction of the spectators. It's the best part. The ambitious card is my favorite close-up effect.

:bluebikes:
" Pick a card, any card "
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
Very well said Frank!
Smile
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
ChrisS
View Profile
New user
Cohoes, NY
56 Posts

Profile of ChrisS
Close up is my favorite; especially when you can have something "happen" in a spectators hand, i.e. Scotch & Soda

Chris S.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Closeup and close up mentalism. It involves the spectators, who become PARTICIPANTS in the experience and pushes their "Gosh-Wow!" buttons to the max.

Favorites? A properly done equivoque can kill, sponges in the spectator's hand is usually something they will remember even in the nursing home. Anything where the magic happens to THEM and cements it in their minds.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Magyckmyke
View Profile
New user
Lafayette La
57 Posts

Profile of Magyckmyke
I like close-up for all the reasons stated above, but for me it's just the most magical.
Threeatms
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Threeatms
Close-up is all I do (for the most part) ... magic is a pure hobby for me ... no cash on the side or formal presentations ... my rush is being able to work some magic into normal everyday life ... and pull it off without getting caught! Doing magic for friends and family can be a challenge in itself.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Close-up (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL