We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Rice's encyclopedia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

absoulute
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, AL
66 Posts

Profile of absoulute
I have never owned these books, but I have heard they are THE place to learn silk magic. Can anyone make any recommendations as far as literature?
Since we can never hope to understand why we are here, if there's anything to understand, the individual should choose a goal and pursue it wholeheartedly, despite the certainty of death and the meaninglessness of action. - Martin Heidegger
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
If you are interested in silk magic you need to buy them if you can find them.
absoulute
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, AL
66 Posts

Profile of absoulute
I have actually seen a place that sells them. However I haven't contacted the website's owner. I have found that magic stores are infamous for keeping things on their websites that aren't actually in stock/for sale
Since we can never hope to understand why we are here, if there's anything to understand, the individual should choose a goal and pursue it wholeheartedly, despite the certainty of death and the meaninglessness of action. - Martin Heidegger
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
They are still obtainable, and you can often find them in our "lets make a deal" section. Definitely must have for any serious silk worker.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
absoulute
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, AL
66 Posts

Profile of absoulute
Thank you Father. I have worked on cards almost exclusively, but silks have always lent themselves very well to our craft, and have been an interest of mine. I was definitely looking to start studying them more and Rice's seemed a good place to start
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Start with contacting his daughter. Ruth Rice is a Magic Café Member with the name Rice. Silk King Studios (Rice Silks) is also an advertiser on The Magic Café. Just click the banner.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Remember to get the index from her too!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
Great books - I only have the CD version, but eventually since I love books, I want to add the actual hardbacks to my collection.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
absoulute
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, AL
66 Posts

Profile of absoulute
Great! Thanks for all of the comments, I think I will definitely try to buy these.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi absoulute:

The books are very helpful and full of information, but understand that they were written many years ago (volume 4 is more recent). A lot of the material assumes you'll be working on a stage with distance between yourself and the audience - I've found many of the effects to have bad angles and other problems. Still the books contain much valuable information.

I think of them in much the same way as I think about the Tarbell books. A lot of the information is dated, but there are still many excellent principles, etc. You just have to sort through the information.

I hope I'm making sense. Good luck to you.

Ron
absoulute
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, AL
66 Posts

Profile of absoulute
That actually makes perfect sense. That tells me just what I need to know. Thanks Ron
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Absoulute,

I won't be at Ring 35 meeting in Birmingham tonight, but did you solve the problem?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Rice's encyclopedia (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL