The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Card to wallet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
I just recently purchased a reprint of Ed-Marlo's Card to wallet manuscript from 2001. In the book it says the wallet he used is no longer easily available. Although considering the reprint is from 2001 eight years ago I figured maybe by now they are manufacturing them again. So I searched online for one. I couldn't find one. Although I am no expert on card wallets. I just started learning now so I could use some help. Does anyone know where I could find a hip pocket variety cowboy theme wallet?
Jeremy Gates
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22868 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Western Store, could you post a better description or insert a picture. The cowboy themed wallet I had as a child, it was made for children. These were sold in what was called the "5 & 10 Store". These finally went out of business in the 1980's and from a web search, I discovered the "Dollar Stores" is an off-spring of this type of store. The 5 and 10 Store was a lot more fun, and found many items that could be used for magic tricks.

I think the book may have been referring to a wallet from the 1950's or 1960's when it was referring to the wallet. The book was not updated when it was reprinted, so it is referring to the original date of publication, not the year 2001.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-10-18 07:00, wmhegbli wrote:
Western Store, could you post a better description or insert a picture. The cowboy themed wallet I had as a child, it was made for children. These were sold in what was called the "5 & 10 Store". These finally went out of business in the 1980's and from a web search, I discovered the "Dollar Stores" is an off-spring of this type of store. The 5 and 10 Store was a lot more fun, and found many items that could be used for magic tricks.

I think the book may have been referring to a wallet from the 1950's or 1960's when it was referring to the wallet. The book was not updated when it was reprinted, so it is referring to the original date of publication, not the year 2001.

I just got back from Westvirginia visiting family out their and we checked out a 5&10 store. I didn't know they still existed. Berdine's 5 & Dime Store America's Oldest and still in buisness since 1908. Great place anyway while I was their I got a wallet that looked good and works after getting to the book once I had a wallet to go with it. The wallet was only $9 and pretty cool it has little bumps all over it like polka dots. It is peacock leather and apparently the bumps are from where the feathers were. I was board though after reading a while. SO I thought I would search one last time for the wallet described. I think I found at least very simular ones after searching 1950's leather wallets. Most likely the first one. http://www.onlineauction.com/index.php?p......ddle_Hat http://www.blujay.com/item/1950-s-LEATHER-WALLET-HAND-TOOLED-ON-SALE-7030300-1958743
Jeremy Gates
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22868 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes this is what I had as a boy, the 1st listing. Cowboy, horses, and zipped all around. The good old days of playing Cowboys with my brother in the back yard.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

I am going to buy this one which I beleive to be the very one. I am the only one to bid and is cheap. http://www.onlineauction.com/index.php?p......ddle_Hat Bid ends in 6 days.
Jeremy Gates
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22868 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Cowboys are no "longer politically correct" in our society. The minority dictates what the majority must accept, after all, why should parents have to 'parent', when all they have to do is remove a Cowboy show.

There are no more Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, Lone Ranger, etc. They are just to violent for the children, and yet there are is more children murders now then at any time in this countries past.

Same with old cartoons, they are just to violent.

Good Luck, and I hope you get your desired cowboy wallet. Marlo was the best card man on the planet, his material will stand the test of time.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-05-24 13:24, wmhegbli wrote:
Cowboys are no "longer politically correct" in our society. The minority dictates what the majority must accept, after all, why should parents have to 'parent', when all they have to do is remove a Cowboy show.

There are no more Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, Lone Ranger, etc. They are just to violent for the children, and yet there are is more children murders now then at any time in this countries past.

Same with old cartoons, they are just to violent.

Good Luck, and I hope you get your desired cowboy wallet. Marlo was the best card man on the planet, his material will stand the test of time.

Yes violent but I feel modern video games and other media is far more violent. Beside that stuff is a lot better than what is portrayed to the youth now. Plus I don't think anyone is going to complain most might find it sort of cool. Although to be honest the thing looks a little childish to me but I don't need to be so self concious. If people do complain though I can save it for performances that don't involve too politically correct people and kids. Thanks for the warning.
Jeremy Gates
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

I got my wallet in the mail about an hour ago looked through the instructions and beleive it to be the same wallet indeed. Havn't read the whole manual yet but I hope it doesn't call for use of the plastic picture sleeve flaps. They are very old and cracked and cracked more when I examined them. Plus are so dirty I don't think they could be cleaned. Other than that the wallet is in excelent condition though just dusty and can be cleaned with a moist rag. If I need to use the sleeves though I guess I could find a place that would replace them with new ones for me. Speaking of wallets though my parents found me another old leather wallet that looks about as old also in great condition other than cracking filthy plasic sleeves and dusty leather. I can't use it for card to wallet but it is very interesting. It has C.K.F. on one the front and on the other a red triangle with H on the left and C on the right with a F at the top and 413 in the center. Very mysterious it makes me think it belonged to someone in a society or club.
Jeremy Gates
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22868 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
New Plastic inserts are available. They are now just hard to find. I use to be able to go into most any store and pick up replacements. Now all those stores are gone, so you just have to look in large department stores or places that sell a lot of wallets.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-05-29 10:12, wmhegbli wrote:
New Plastic inserts are available. They are now just hard to find. I use to be able to go into most any store and pick up replacements. Now all those stores are gone, so you just have to look in large department stores or places that sell a lot of wallets.

Ya I looked in the phone book and searched online most of which are either of other material or are the wrong kind of plastic sleeves. Though my mom suggested my check the cobler leather work shop in highland down the road. Since they work with leather they might have wallet repair things such as plastic sleeves. If not it is back to online searching. I cant think of any other shops to look into.
Jeremy Gates
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

The problem is it needs to be a plastic sleeve that folds over on a side instead of being sealed on both sides.
Jeremy Gates
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22868 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I know exactly what you are speaking of, those old plastic sleeves were around for years. They still may be, but you have to look around. Although, many items are being replaced with new materials. The old holders plastic did not last very long, they always discolored and became brittle.

You may be forced to make them yourself. Clear plastic sheets can be purchased from office supply and teacher supply stores. The place is like the sheets for overhear projector sheets. Using a heat source you may be able to fold and make your own plastic holders.

May I suggest you get off line and actually go to stores. It would take forever to find such things on line.

Here is the closest sheets you will probably find today. These are made from soft vinyl. Here is an example: http://www.walletgear.com/product_info.php?products_id=56

Here is another, again it is vinyl, not plastic: http://shop.dominoplastics.com/wallet-inserts.html/
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Making my own holders could work and I actually have lamination sheets that fold open from a plastic sheet. I could use those as I have with other things regarding magic. If it doesn't work and the cobler shop cant do it your second link looks very promising. Thanks for the help.
Jeremy Gates
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Found a way to make my own sleeves using my plastic cutting to size and folding properly after measuring. Them making the folds perminate with a iron on a nice solid cutting board. Sewed them in and they work, didn't even cost me a dime either!
Jeremy Gates
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Got to page 12 reading how to do his bottom palm as done in the triple routine based utilizing his version of the D'Anico spread called the Marlo pivot spread. I have read it several times and don't get it. I can't find it online nor on themagic Café if anyone could help me that would be great. Sometimes a simplistic explanation is the best or to see a video.
Jeremy Gates
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22868 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Ed Marlo died a long time ago, it was all before videos and the Internet. The only videos of his material is recreated by Bill Malone from http://www.llpub.com You could look through those.

The D'Amico Spread is discribed in a booklet, published by Lloyd Jones. Can't remember the name of the book, I do remember seeing them on the web someplace. Are you sure it is D'Amico Spread and not Ascanio Spread? If it is Ascanio, here is a reference: COUNTS, CUTS MOVES AND SUBTLETY By Jerry Mentzer (Booklet), Found here: http://www.magicmethodsonline.com/cbooks.html
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-06-02 20:07, wmhegbli wrote:
Ed Marlo died a long time ago, it was all before videos and the Internet. The only videos of his material is recreated by Bill Malone from http://www.llpub.com You could look through those.

The D'Amico Spread is discribed in a booklet, published by Lloyd Jones. Can't remember the name of the book, I do remember seeing them on the web someplace. Are you sure it is D'Amico Spread and not Ascanio Spread? If it is Ascanio, here is a reference: COUNTS, CUTS MOVES AND SUBTLETY By Jerry Mentzer (Booklet), Found here: http://www.magicmethodsonline.com/cbooks.html

I have a V.H.S. I got free from stevens magic for a large order. I guess they had them in the back and were just getting rid of them. Anyway it is called Ed Marlo Card Magic Volume 3 By: Pierre Mayer produced by S.N. Radio Prim in Paris France. Ed Marlo is in the video instructing. I have been unable to locate a year on it though. Not sure why I checked and can't find anything about it but the Ascanio spread sounds farmiliar. Though regarding references the manuscript references more details on the pivot spread being found in Classical Foursome By: Marlo and D'Amico.
Jeremy Gates
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22868 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Never heard of a book called Classical Foursome. Does not mean it does not exist, but Marlo published a lot of material in his lifetime.

Magic Inc. published all his material, he wanted published. You can check their site or you might try contacting Bill Malone, as he was a serious studient of Marlo. It would would cost nothing to ask, and the only thing that can happen, he does not respond or not know of the publication.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Card to wallet (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL