The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Shattered for Kids, Nail in Cup for Kids (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Now that I got your attention, do you like these ADULT AUDIENCE routines? Scary and dangerous, or at least it appears that way. A friend of mine has given me permission to post this.

Here is an effect that is cheap, powerful, funny and lots of excitement can be worked around it. I will leave the patter up to you.

It involves six styrofoam cups, a magic marker to label the cups with numbers, six wooden blocks with a hole in it, a die, and an egg. The kids roll the die and smash the cup with their hand, hopefully they don't kit the cup with the egg. (You could just label the wooden blocks eliminating the magic marker.)

Before the secret is revealed, imagine the scenario. The kids love game shows, five kids are involved, each kid rolls the die and smashes the cup from the number on the die, tension mounts as the cups diminish one-by-one, to the point when a choice between the cup with the egg and the cup without the egg is left. Add in the bits of business, and comedy lines, pausing just before the smash and lastly you remove the last cup and the egg is real as you crack it open to show the audience. You could say there is an egg under each cup and it magically disappears (with a wave of the wand and the magical word) the moment you smash the cup. (The fifth kid breaks the wand "breakaway wand" so it might not work with him, but he does have a 50/50 chance of making the egg disappear.)

If you let your imagination go, then you should visualize the fun in this routine. Have I performed it... Not yet!

If you wanted to breed more STAGE SHOW excitement, you are required to smash the remaining cup with the egg in it. Obviously this alternate method is not for birthday party living rooms. A Plexiglas shield would protect the sides and front and show the gooey mess, an apron for you and something on the floor. (Just brainstorming this comedy routine)

Secret: The die is switched from a real die to another die that doesn't have the number six on it (two number fives). Under the number six cup, is the egg.
Dennis Michael
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I can imagine several possibilities with this one, Dennis. Thank you for sharing this.

I think, unless one were to purchase this die, it might be easier to doctor your own by changing another number, such as a 2 to a 3, or a 4 to a 5 (or vise versa) rather than trying to make a 6 look like a 5. Trivial point, but yes, this sounds very practical to perform.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Dennis:

This is a great idea!

I have a Scorpion, and this was part of my adult show. I did a show about 6 months ago where they told me the crowd would be all adults, but there were about a half dozen 10 - 12 year olds. I did the Scorpion anyway.

The kids loved it!! Since then I've done it in 3 or 4 shows with older kids. I will probably continue to do this for 9 - 12 year olds.

Jim
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Clever, clever, clever and simple. Thanks for sharing the idea with the die. My mind is now in overdrive thinking of possibilities to use this niftie little utility device.

Thanks Dennis.
magicbobc
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of magicbobc
Thanks for sharing Dennis, I'll try this next week, it's good. I'll Try adding some Halloweenish style to it.
(It is easier to turn a 4 into a 5 on the die hehe)
Thank for sharing.
BobC
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
I like it Dennis, nice!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

The die can be home made with a square piece of wood painted white with black dots. It isn't important in the show, so it's secret remains safe. If necessary, there are black dots. Even black Velcro dots would work.
Dennis Michael
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2009-10-10 13:37, Dennis Michael wrote:
The die can be home made with a square piece of wood painted white with black dots. It isn't important in the show, so it's secret remains safe. If necessary, there are black dots. Even black Velcro dots would work.

You could make the center dot on the "5" side removable (several possible methods come to mind right off the bat). That way, you could first show all six sides of the die. Then you slip the removable dot off and you have two "4"s.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Why would you "show all six sides of the die"? Overproving.
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Thanks for sharing this great piece with us Dennis. I can see various endings, based on whether the magician wants to guess the cup, or have 6 kids competing for last one standing, or have the birthday child set as the winner. I have a mall show next month that would be a great setting for this, if I can script it right in time.

Since there will be a good amount of re-rolling, that has to be accounted for. I can see one roller, and 6 kids at the cups - or 5 cups and the magician.

Only one thing I can see as a problem - while I agree with Futureal that it might be problematic to show all 6 sides of the die (drawing attention unnecessarily I think) - the only danger is the possibility of having the double number come up while also seen on the side. The way to counter this is to do the gimmicking only using the opposite number. While changing a 4 to a 5 would be easier to do, it would leave 2 5s touching. A die is made of opposite sides that add up to 7. So, 2 and 5 are opposite, 1 and 6, 3 and 4. The best option, IMHO, would be 2 made into a 5. Then one 5 showing would be covering the other 5. The egg goes under two.
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Great idea!

Here is another idea that avoids using a die: Aldo Colobini's effect "Real Danger."

Quote:
It is back in stock with what we believe is a NEW and IMPROVED method. This is my handling of a great routine by Patrik Kuffs. I LOVED the trick so much but I wanted to do it using a REAL broken bottle and here’s the result. You introduce four colored paper bags. Each bag is folded at the top, concealing the contents. Three spectators each select a bag and they smash them flat by slamming their bag between their hands. The bags are empty. You take the last bag, reach inside it and remove a REAL bottle of beer (or something else that comes in a glass bottle) with the top broken off and the edges jagged! It comes with the necessary ‘things’ to perform the effect. Use any bags and any bottle. With different objects it can be done for children as well. $10.00

http://www.wildcolombini.com/cart/produc......s_id=252

I have the effect and have done it with kids using bags with three magic dollar bills bills and one bag with a small stuffed "magic bunny" (for the birthday kid). Works well because I tell the child their birthday is their lucky day.

No mess and everybody is a winner, but he idea could just as easily use an egg and the magician.

Dave
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Love this effect of using a gimmicked die and egg circa childs smash and stab. I do scorpion and the devils nail for adults and this one will bevfun to add for children!

Thanks for sharing!

Mike Smile
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2009-10-10 18:26, Futureal wrote:
Why would you "show all six sides of the die"? Overproving.

Poor choice of words on my part... I didn't mean to suggest that you overtly display all the sides to "prove it's a normal die." However, if the egg is under number five, it would enhance the effect if the audience has, in fact, seen the side of the die with five dots. It would not be something I would draw attention to. It would just be a very subtle convincer that the kids could have rolled a five.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

When explaining the instructions to the kids and the audience, you use the number six as an example alone with maybe a number three. This way you plant in the minds there is a number six. It's not focusing on the die. It is focusing on how the game is played. Or Rules dependent on what type of routine you want to do.
Dennis Michael
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
This exact gimmick die idea I first saw in Max Maven's "Nothing" DVD (if I'm not mistaken). His routine there is great, too. You might want to check it out.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
How about using a rubber mallet to smash each cup? I don't think all kids have the courage to use their hand to smash a cup with an egg.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I like the rubber mallet idea. could be very funny and does indeed get the kid/s feeling safer and trusting you a lot more.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

The rubber mallet works for me.

Can you say "Sledge-a-Matic"? Smile
Dennis Michael
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Exactly what I was thinking of as well, Den. lol Good mines think alike. =)
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Good "mines" have a "blast"!
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Shattered for Kids, Nail in Cup for Kids (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL