The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How did you assemble your team? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
It occurs to me that someday I will need a director, perhaps an acting coach, not to mention people to sell BOR merchandise, audio and video people and so on. I'm in no rush. It will be a year or more before I'm ready for any kind of show.

But I'm curious how others have assembled their production teams on a shoestring. (Is that even possible?) How many people do you have on your team? Are you truly a solo act just working by yourself? How do you do it all? By the way I'm unmarried and have no kids so family help is out.
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I am sorry to say I do it all my self - writing, staging, promoting, even down to the graphics on my posters. I would love to have a good team, but people will only work with you if you pay them, in my experience. Otherwise they will do a lot of talking but very little work for you. Maybe others have had a different experience. Tony.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17674 Posts

Profile of Slim King
You are in the perfect position, being single with no children (The Amazing Kreskin Smile )
I would get a couple of my hard core fans to help out. Spend some time and effort working your impossible MoJo on a few fans who have a skill set that will help you. (Stage management or marketing etc.)
After they are enthralled with your prowess, they will gladly help for free at first. That's what fans are for Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3091 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
It's not a bad idea to begin by workshopping with magician/mentalist performers in your area. Then find like-minded people (in terms of their enthusiasm and commitment, not necessarily their approach and opinions). Make everything of mutual benefit (you help me with my show, I'll help you with yours). If you have different skills, strengths, etc., this is of significant benefit, as each of you can fill in each others 'holes.'

Then, when the revenue begins to come in, be sure to compensate fairly to those who continue to put in the hours and effort.

e
Harry Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
Europe
128 Posts

Profile of Harry Lucas
If you are looking for an acting coach and or director, go to a local theatre and ask for help. Maybe you have an acting school in town, or someone who teaches those skills. They don't have to know anything about magic, but they will tell you a lot about performing. Learn from professionals and your road to success will be shorter.
burst
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis, TN
308 Posts

Profile of burst
What Harry Lucas said. I got lucky and happened to be performing in front of a producer who wants to work with me. That lead to a director. Are there any art schools in town? Just from hanging out with one artist kid, who happens to be an absolutely amazing artist, I now have people that will do stage design, posters, website, and even make me suits. All of this will be completely for free. I offered payment, but Alex, the first artist I met, worked it out so that everything will be go towards their classes. I won't even have to pay for material. The only person that won't is Alex, as he's been out of school for years. For some reason he just wants to do it for free, which is fine by me.

So go to some colleges and hit up the teachers. Talk to them about what you want. Have an idea of what you want first. People can have some awful trite ideas. Look at their previous work to see if you think it will be good for you, get concept art from them, communicate on a regular basis.

As far as a producer and director, hit up theatres. There will always be someone that wants to break out into their own thing, get a name for themselves. Show them what you do, see if they are interested, and go to the plays they work on to see their creative process and the final result so that you know if they will work well with you and if their work is good.

Lucky for you, you have a year. Get started on all of this now so that you will be ready when your show is.
Harry Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
Europe
128 Posts

Profile of Harry Lucas
Take your time to prepare yourself fully. Remember: There has got to be a product first, before you can promote it. Invest in yourself and study the things required to perform in front of people and you will benefit immensely from it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How did you assemble your team? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL