The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » R. Osterlind "The Very Modern Mindreader" - Review wanted (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ThorstenHappel
View Profile
Loyal user
Düsseldorf / New York, NY
203 Posts

Profile of ThorstenHappel
I would like to know what you think about Richard Osterlind's "The Very Modern Mindreader and other miracles".

Only 26 pages, just three effects ... but ...?

Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks.
Thorsten
-----------------------------------------

"If this be magic, let it be an art ..."
-- William Shakespeare, The Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2855 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Sometimes great things come in small packages and this is one of those times.

The title routine is a great update on a classic method for demonstrating clairvoyance and can also be used for very clean Q & A. I've never done it but only because of lack of opportunity. The method elimates a lot of problems in the original Anneman routine.

The second effect allows you to replicate, under apparent test conditions, the classic Rhine E.S.P. test with Zenner cards and has other applications as well.

The third effect, StenoESP, has become a favorite of mine and can be done for one person or a large audience. Richard offers two methods, the bonus method (almost mentioned as an aside) is my preference and plays exceptionally strong. I've said more about this on other threads so you might want to do a search. Unfortunately some of it is in the Inner Thoughts forum but you are almost there!

Richard has also been wonderful, despite a demanding performance schedule, about answering my questions about the routines. Hope this helps.

Bill
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
StenoESP is excellent. It's worth getting the book just for this.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
"The Very Modern Mindreader" is a "MUST HAVE" booklet!!!

ESPecially

TED LESLEY Smile
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I've not tried out the material but The ESP card stack is what interests me. Looks like a good effect.

I'm not to sure about the other two. Q&A using one ahead and the other uses one behind principle.

There has to be better ways for doing Q&A. One ahead is too obvious.
Lamberto
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
99 Posts

Profile of Lamberto
I also like the bonus version of StenoESP.

For Shrink:
The principal of the ESP card stack is good. But I like to do effects with ESP cards where the spectator can mix the cards, if they wish. Or I have to start with this one? Ehhmm, I'll think about it. Smile
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I like the ESP stack because it is like original test. I will have to try it to see if it gets by the spectators.

I have to admit I was disapointed with the booklet. One ahead routines really leave me cold. I am looking for "heavyweight material" for a commercial show and I really wouldn't feel comfortable or confident with the other two effects. For me the booklet was a waste of money.
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Brian:
It is not the method which counts, if you want to do "Q & A", it are the ANSWERS you give to the spectators WHICH REALLY COUNT!

Richard Osterlind`s "Very Modern Mindreader" is one of the best tools for a "Q & A - Act" I have ever seen in my life. I did a similar one ahead routine many years ago. The "Modus Operandi" was so cleverly hidden that even magicians or mentalists had not the slightest idea, how it was accomplished.

Brian, I guess that you didn`t even try out the routine in front of the paying public. If you had than you would know, that the in your viewpoint "leave you cold one ahead routines" can be so well disguised, that even you had no explanation. See the "Q & A" section of my show and be convinced!

Richard Osterlind`s effects and ideas are so cleverly thought out, that they`re all awesome weapons in the armoury of a mentalist, but the only way to find that out is, that you have to perform them and do for heaven´s sake not critisize an item, which you haven`t tried out!

Do you agree Brian?
Thanks for listening to me!
ESPecially

TED Smile
Ted Lesley

shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Ok Ted. You have much more experience than I do. I haven't tried out the routine, although I do feel its not for me. Opening a envelope to check to see if you are right would have given it away, at least to me.

I am not criticizing the routine. Perhaps I really need to see it performed to really appreciate it. What I am saying I suppose, is I don't think I could pull this off. Or even feel excited enough to try!

Please don't take this post the wrong way I really appreciate your willingness to help people like myself.
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Brian: Your posting made me very happy. It is better to say "That is not for me" instead of saying that the routine isn`t good.

Again: It does not interest any member of the audience, HOW you learned the questions, what is important are the ANSWERS!!!

Yes my friend, I do everything to put people on the right road, to help them becoming better performers. Even I still learn from various people in the business.

Thanks for the answer !
TED Smile
Ted Lesley

Eric Rose
View Profile
Regular user
Franklin, IN
160 Posts

Profile of Eric Rose
It may only be 3 effects, but could easily be the bulk of an act. Get this book today.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Gentlemen,

I just came upon this posting and feel as though I should make a few comments.

First, thank you Ted and Leondo for your kind comments about my book. I appreciate your support.

Brian, you have, of course, the right to like or not like a book. I would also be the first one to say that many excellent routines are just not right for me or my style. What does disturb me a bit, however, is your dismissal of the one-ahead principle in general. If you will study the methods of people like Foster, Reese, Alexander, Hull, Nelson and so many other greats, you will see how valuable the one-ahead system has always been. If used correctly, there is absolutely no clue as to the method.

I can understand if you do not feel as though the routine is not for you, but perhaps I can answer what you point out as an apparent shortcoming. Suppose you were to pass out cards and envelopes and have the spectators just right down their names and seal the cards within. (They could even switch cards and envelopes if they wished.) You take back the stack, hold one up and using your powers of clairivoyance, name whose card it is. Then you open it up to verify you are right, hand it back and continue. At the end everyone could have all the materials and nothing could be found. Wouldn't that be a good effect?

OK, so now you go a step further. You have the audience also write down personal information about themselves. In addition to identifying each person you also tell them information about themselves and loved ones. Sometimes it is what they wrote and sometimes it goes beyond that. If handled correctly, the audience will believe most is not written down. In addition, you may occasionally look out over the audience and "read" someone who didn't even get a card and envelope! So what you end up presenting is a combination of clairivoyance, telepathy and precognition. That's what you have in this routine if you present it right and do a little homework. I hope this gets you thinking a bit more about the routine.

Richard Osterlind
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Richard: I may be wrong I will give it some thought and perhaps give it a go. If you and Ted are so sure about this then I may be missing something.

I do like the idea of having something that requires no pre-show or impression work.

However, how can you get everyone to swap envelopes? I believe that may reveal something you wouldn't want revealed?

Thanks for having the patience and taking the time to post a detailed response...I guess I just have a knee jerk aversion to the words "one-ahead".
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2855 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Shrink,

As always, I am impressed with your willingness to reconsider your views. To me this is a sign not only of an open mind, but a wise one.

To that, I'll add that I felt the same as you about the one ahead and one behind. Until I read Richard's book. For once, I felt that I'd found handlings that made sense and didn't seem obvious. This led me to take a second look at other similar, and one ahead, routines, and discover previously ignored merits.

I've added some touches and a different presentation to the bonus version that, I feel, adds a couple more layers of deception. The only "problem" I've found (this happened yet again last week) is people think it is real (they are the mindreader in my handling). It has a bit to do with pacing and I think you might find it interesting. PM me if you want and I'd be glad to share.

Bill
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
I just got this based on the reviews that I saw, and I agree -- I like it a lot! Great Material!
Smile
Catch me on Twitter @RobertSixx or Facebook -- Robert Sixx
Crippen
View Profile
New user
Washington, D.C.
79 Posts

Profile of Crippen
This booklet, like all of Mr. Osterlind's work, contains great details regarding how to perform the routines. I really enjoy having the chance to read about the inner workings of the effects. It's almost like listening to him explain how things should work.

As with most good written materials, this type of information can help you tremendously, whether you use these exact effects or not.

Regards,

Crippen
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
I had this swell review written for this, then found this thread. Well, I'm not gonna let a perfectly good review sit idle, especially since this needs an in-depth look. (This item is one reason why I am so happy that I don't have to choose between Banachek and Osterlind.)
------------------------------------

-The Very Model of a Very Modern Mindreader--

Richard Osterlind has expressed his respect and love for the classics at every opportunity. Thus, whenever he releases an augmented version of a classic, he must be really confident of its quality.

There are two augmented classics in this book, and he is safe in being VERY confident of the quality.

In "the Very Modern Mindreader," he turns the few weaknesses of Bill Hewitt's original "Modern Mindreader" routine and makes them into strengths. The performance looks similar: the mentalist passes out some blank cards and pencils to the audience. Audience members print their names and "a number of personal pieces of information," then seal each card inside the ever-reliable (and getting harder to find) coin envelope. The mentalist chooses a random envelope, absorbs the information therein through his or her hand, and relates it to the audience. Our mentalist then opens the envelope and returns the content to the person, and continues with another envelope. Every so often, s/he gives out information which was never printed on the cards. They may even choose to "read" someone who didn't fill out a card, though the manuscript doesn't mention this option (see Osterlind's 23 June 2003 post). Weary, the mentalist doesn't open all the envelopes, nor read the minds of the entire audience. The unused envelopes (with cards sealed inside) can be returned to the audience, who will hold them up to the light and do their best to find a way that our mentalist could see through the envelopes.

As noted in the above posts, it uses an old principle -- but fiendishly cleverly, with touches to ensure a 0% chance of being caught.

And that's only the first effect in this booklet.

The Osterlind ESP Card System is a sneaky method to perfectly replicate what scientists have tried to do in laboratory conditions. The "tester" (Let's call him Bill M.) is on one side of a screen. The mentalist (Let's call him "Richard") is on the other side of the screen. Bill runs through a stack of ESP cards; Richard writes down his impressions. Richard does not even catch a glimpse of the cards, nor Bill's hands as Bill goes through the cards. No body language hints are used. As a matter of fact, Richard could be in a different room from Bill once the actual test starts.

Performing this at an accredited research facility would "prove" you had true ESP. Banachek would have loved this.

The last two effects are called "StenoESP" and it's two effects because there are two ways of getting the same result. The first one uses a steno pad, and your audience will be sure there was no way for you to fake anything. The second one uses wire-bound, perforated note cards, and your audience will be even MORE sure you could have faked anything. The effect is that you write down what an audience member is going to say, think, or do. Then you do it again. Then you do it again. And you're right on the button each time.

Yes, this is the Mental Epic routine -- but with a vengeance! Not only is it an easy walk-around version (or two), but your audience will know, just know, that there was no "funny business" going on. They saw you. You were right in their face. And you predicted each word or deed exactly, without switching the papers or cards -- they know this because they're watching the very pad or cards you're using.

I can verify this last routine. Using cards, this devestated a general manager at a local restaurant. He kept trying to speak, but nothing came out. It was all I could do to not laugh, for he looked so stunned. I was so grateful he didn't ask if I was the real thing, because I didn't want to lie or spoil the illusion.

The booklet is only 24 pages (not counting covers) and costs $24. If you count it as $1 a page, it seems quite expensive. If you count it as three routines which can make up an entire act and UTTERLY CONVINCE people that this could be real, it's ridiculously cheap.

Richard Osterlind loves the classics. It may because he creates classics himself.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Yes, the word "NOT" should be inserted in the 4th line of the 5th-from-the-bottom paragraph. Right between "could" and "have" -- I don't know what was wrong with me last night. I just washed my fingers and I couldn't do a thing with them.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Chet,

FYI, I just purchased a pack of 500 coin envelopes from Office Depot for about $17. I too was having trouble finding them.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Cfrancis, I've found a reliable and renewable source for "coin" envelopes. And it was under my nose all the time.

Those envelopes from your friendly neighborhood bank!

You know: the ones which they put your money in, then send it back to you through the pneumatic tube. THOSE envelopes.

And you know what? Audience members are then positive these things are definitely, absolutely gimmick-free. After all, we couldn't have had the bank print their names on magic props, could we?

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » R. Osterlind "The Very Modern Mindreader" - Review wanted (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.37 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL