The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Badlands Bob(Dice trick) (40 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
hboy
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of hboy
Quote:
On 2009-10-12 16:04, Peter Nardi wrote:
http://www.alakazam.co.uk/magic-shop/50-......ing.html

It is sold out again?
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
Just coming back to this topic to let those out there who had intrest in this, Viking/CW has them available again with some improvements. I purchased one and am impressed on how well it works. That being said, practice is still required. But I am finding that the more I work with it that it's practically silent. To have the die change to a different number with no noise is realy "magical", because, try as they might, a spectator cannot get the die to a different number.

The clear lid is thick with nice small brass screws, the wood is thick and nice looking as well without looking too fancy.

Now my issue is more practice and coming up with a decent story/presentation to use with it. I like the Badlands Bob story, but maybe it needs a modern twist...
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
It's not a strong effect, and really not something I'd spend a lot of time worrying about getting my hands on.

All the purchasers of this effect I've ever met or spoken with either turn around and try to re-sell it, or stick in on their Collectors Workshop "collection" shelf.

It's the classic "magic prop" with no equivalent in the real world..........and there are MANY stronger dice effects you could take advantage of, most for much less money than BB.

(if you insist on getting one, I'd replace the thing you "hold", with the same item that you "wear".
Tophie
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Tophie
I just received this and it works really well. The die flips instantaneously. It will not flip for the spectator. I need a different patter since the die looks too new and not an antique. Thinking I need to use this with more of a spirit theme.......
GhostSurfer
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of GhostSurfer
Quote:
On 2011-04-01 14:40, Tophie wrote:
...Thinking I need to use this with more of a spirit theme.......

Correct. Forget about spec. naming a number; I just use a 'Glorpy'. The knock-off's are truly shocking, steer well clear of those at all costs...

GS
foretold
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of foretold
Can anyone comment on whether this can be performed entirely in the hands where no table may be available?
Tophie
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Tophie
If you pick it up and place it in their hands it will work without talking
You can cause the die to flip in their hands, but they will fel it move.
Don't need a table, but the glory idea is great!
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I bought the new version from Viking Magic, and it works much easier than the original. The gimmick is much nicer, too.

Beautiful little prop.

Robert
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Joe Strantz
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Joe Strantz
Thanks to all for the posts on the new CW Badlands Bob. Very helpful. I'm planning on picking one up now. Appreciate all the insight. Joe
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I am curious about this effect/puzzle. Can any number be called and made to come up or does it have to be forced some how? Also, can I do the effect more than once in the same performance? Can a two be named and have it change to a two and then take it back and have a four named and have it change to a four etc? Thanks.

-Paul
MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
I use it along with a poker deal and how Bob cheated Blackbeard the pirate here in Calabash, N.C.. A museum is in the works near here about Blackbeard, really, and the die in the box is going to that museum in my presentation. I gets a great reaction.

The Cardshark

btw: Any number mentioned is face up in the box when handed to the spectator. As much as they shake, they can't change the number!
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
Makus
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Makus
I've ordered this small illusion (together with 2 Haunted Memories portraits!) from Grand Illusions Ltd: I like small nice looking devices and I'm a dice collector... I've seen this trick and I thought: I must have this prop in my collection! Smile

But now I read some "negative" opinions: difficult to use, need practice and skill and so on...

The little thing seems beautiful to me and for me that's very important, but I've no ideas of the real difficulties in using it or the exact mechanism involved (I've read here about a gimmick or a special close-up pad and/or a glorpy...I'm confused and I fear to understand a very ordinary mechanism under this trick...!): could someone write a P.M. to me, so I could know a little more about what I'll receive?
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I like this effect a lot. In the earlier Viking version, the spectator couldn't choose the one spot. In the recent version, any number can be selected. I found it easy to perform with just a little practice.
Makus
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Makus
Received now this beautiful prop: the only problem in performing this, is that my dice turns very abruptly and not in a "normal" slow way as I've seen in the videos. The presentation also is not so clear... it's in english and I must find something different to tell my spectators... (If they choose number 1 for instance! Smile)

I will study better the videos, to understand the exact movements I have to do...

P.S. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmEhWDnauGQ

In this video the hand is under the prop, but I don't perform well this way: I keep my hand at one side... Which method is the right one?
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Spend a little time just playing with the gimmick, holding it different distances from the box, moving it in different directions to see how the die responds. A little tip: I put some double stick tape on the gimmick. This allows you a little more freedom to be casual.

I like to change it to the selected number, then change it to the one to end. I don't use the Badlands Bob patter.
Makus
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Makus
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Love this! Great effect that's pretty easy to do. You will have to have a good story to make it even stronger but it's well worth the effort coming up with a fascinating story. The reward is much greater and people really are baffled by this.

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
297 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
I'll share a presentational idea for Badlands Bob with you. I begin with having the box wrapped up in a "Glorpy" handkerchief. I remove the box from the hanky and show the number and explain how no matter how much one shakes the box, the number will always stay the same. Let the specs try to change the number to no avail. I then take the box from the spectator and ask for another number. As soon as the number is called out, I secretly change the die to the number called for and place the die into the "Glorpy" while keeping the changed number from the spectators' view. The hanky is seen eerily moving with the box inside. The hanky is unfolded, the sectator removes the box and finds their selected number has mysteriously risen to the top of the die.

I hope you enjoy this idea and give it a try.

~ Brian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Badlands Bob(Dice trick) (40 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL