The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Technique and Understanding (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1394 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I don't think I like Dan's alteration of the table. It does not strike me as an improvement.
It's all in the reflexes.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
I agree sir, but I do believe that Dan is a very good builder.

It would be nice to see one as designed exactly by Steinmeyer.

J
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1394 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
No argument on Dan's skills as a builder. I was simply commenting on his aesthetic choices.
Didn't Craig mention that he's building one of these? Perhaps his conforms to the original book design.
James FX
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
178 Posts

Profile of James FX
You're right Illucifer, Craig did mention in another thread that he was building it. Since he's a personal friend of Jim's, I would assume that his build wouldn't stray from the original book design. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one in action!
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Craig,
Can we get an update?

J
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Just finished reading the book in its entirety. And it is exactly what I expected it would be: pure genius from cover to cover. As incredible as all the illusions are, I would behoove those who may have skipped over the essay portions to delve into them. This is some of the most intelligent THINKING that you'll ever be likely to come across. And of course thinking is what is missing from most practitioners of the magical arts. This has been money well spent!
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Frank,

It's funny, Jim has published amazing brilliant material and essays yet he still remains kind of a secret in magic. People know of him. But they don't really have the books to boot.

More for us!

J
James FX
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
178 Posts

Profile of James FX
Frankly, I didn't buy the book for the essays and I had planned to skip past them and go right into the illusions. But the first paragraph caught my eye and I was hooked from there. I just had to devour every single word, every page- in order from beginning to end. And I'm so glad I did because the information he has shared is valuable. In fact, I plan to read the essays again this weekend to make sure I haven't missed anything!

Like Frank says, definitley worth the price.

James
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1394 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
For fans of the book, as well as those who've not yet read it, you'll find a treat in this month's issue of GENII Magazine; an illusion that didn't make the final cut of "Technique & Understanding". It's called "The Four-Three Screen". It's a very nice, direct appearance of a person from a folded screen, but much better than some of the existing concepts (such as a Bryce Screen).
James FX
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
178 Posts

Profile of James FX
Great idea, to put an illusion that didn't make it into the book out there for all to use. Jim said that Kaufman (GENII's editor) suggested it as these techniques may be of value, and he thanked Kaufman "for twisting my arm." lol

Jim mentions in GENII that "about three" effects didn't make it to his book. I wonder if we'll see any of these in future issues. Let's hope so!
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Can anyone describe "The Travel" in this book or even email me
a scan of this part of the book to me?
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Bump

www.mai-ling.net
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Saw it.
fabulous in description
and respect.

www.mai-ling.net
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Ironicly I am getting a copy of the book, compliments of Jim.
I can't wait to see it in my hands now.
and the other pieces he writes about.

He really good to dad and admires him lots.
You can tell.

I'll write my thoughts when I have really looked it over.

www.mai-ling.net
Kamal
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Kamal
This is a fantastic book. I don't do illusions, but reading about Jim's theories and how he puts them in to practice is fascinating stuff.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Has anyone taken a shot at building The Unexpected Illusion? or The Fabric Cabinet Solution?

I'm currently preparing cut lists for some beautiful Baltic Birch Ply (got em for 20 bucks a sheet! what a steal!)and wanted to see if anyone else has taken a chance with these two pieces?

J
MagicChris83
View Profile
New user
Blackpool - UK
39 Posts

Profile of MagicChris83
I've Just ordered the new book, well not so new now but having it shipped to the UK so hopfully a few more days wait.
nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
I am curious about the Sudoku trick, any thoughts?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2010-09-28 11:44, nostrings wrote:
I am curious about the Sudoku trick, any thoughts?

I have built this and I hoped to perform it last week, but things just didn't work out. I have always shied away from the Magic Square, simply because the majority of the viewing audience was unfamiliar with the concept. Almost everyone is familiar with Sudoku puzzles, however.

It seems nearly impossible, because the audience selects numbers and the order in the starter square, and the magician builds the Sudoku from there, while an audience member is holding onto the starter square.

Aesthetically, it is also an attractive piece.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
JohnPizzi
View Profile
New user
NJ
81 Posts

Profile of JohnPizzi
After reading all the positive posts I cant help but order this book. So there I go again mortgaging my future for more magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Technique and Understanding (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL