The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Technique and Understanding (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
AEvans
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of AEvans
Well, this post seems to be a little late... I'm new to the Café and unfortunately missed the discussion! This book is simply genius and as the thread does a good job explaining why, I won't bother with more praise. But sheer brilliance from cover to cover.

I currently perform 7 Steinmeyer pieces in my stage show, Triumph Sudoku and Quantum Mechanics being the two from this book. In response to a (sort of) more recent post about Sudoku, it works VERY WELL for an audience, although I have developed a full 15 minute act around it using a different premise than how Steinmeyer explains it in his book. It's a long effect to perform (I think this makes it stronger though) and while it might initially seem like a Magic Square routine I don't really think that's how to play it. Filling in 72 squares is much different than filling in 16 and, when done theatrically, the pay off is HUGE. Especially with the modern appeal of the Sudoku Puzzle. And don't ignore the red frames!!! Super important. Also, when trying to scribble 72 numbers as fast as possible, my hand writing in messy enough that I really don't think an audience has a chance to "catch on" to anything... something I was initially worried about.

As for Quantum Mechanics, well, I mean, what is there to say. Remarkable. I'll say, it's finicky to perform and I did some redesigns of one component to make the assistant's job easier. Also, I found that for me the routine, as described by Steinmeyer, was not possible to perform... well only the part where the fake is introduced. This should make sense if you have the book. But a simple routining change to the movement of the plexi screens fixed this, and justified by adjusted patter... the audience doesn't think twice! Also, I love Steinmeyer's script for this. I changed a few bits, but I love the general tone and the Alice and Wonderland reference is beautifully poetic.

Side note, the effect is unfortunately less "angle proof" than you might expect from the description. But come on, a miracle of this caliber has to have a weak point--and it's ridiculous that this is pretty much the only one! So impressive. Anyway, if you have the ability to really control the lighting (which you sort of have to do anyway), a few well places gobos can help the problem. And the only time you forcibly draw attention to the slot is with the light, and at that point, the glare of the bulb provides a SUPER strong effect and negates the discrepancy (ala Toccata).

Well, if anyone wants to continue this thread, I'd be happy to discuss. The book is definitely worthy of discussion!
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
Does he have a linking finger rings routine in this book?

Woodfield
AEvans
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of AEvans
Yes. Solid Himber Ring routine (no pun intended). Granted, I haven't studied the subject of linking finger rings much, but I like the routine alot.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Technique and Understanding (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL