The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Technique and Understanding (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
I'm liking a lot of the stuff in the book. Trouble pops out but the new base priniciples are making my mind pop!

J
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
But what is in fact this illusion called Trouble?
Could you describe it please? if could be done surrounded and how big or how practical is the illusion?

Thank you
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Jis,
It is about as practical as it gets. A box sits atop a table. It is square, lets say 38" square (I'm away from the book at the moment) Once inside the box the magician take a large knife and begins to cut the box in slices like bread. Each slice is then moved in some way. The farthest stage right piece is taken right off and laid on top of the whole box. The next farthest is cut back and opened up like an open V to the audience. The stage left most section is cut and allows to drop down like a draw bridge, and the final section is cut in half and opened like a V but open end away from the audience. A lady's hand then pops out the top of one of the cut sections and the whole thing is rotated 360 degrees. You can see it from all angles. It looks impossible, especially in the pictures but makes perfect sense in the description. All is reversed. The box back together and without the lady pulling her arm back in she is helped out of the box.

Miracle worthy!

J
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
Interesting ...thank you very much.
MagicErik
View Profile
Loyal user
Sneek, Netherlands
284 Posts

Profile of MagicErik
I have been drawing the Four-Fold Screen in a 3D program. Nothing fancy, and it was the easiest to make. But the funny thing is that now I can turn I around and look at it from all sides. Those who have the book will completely understand these drawings. I couldn't find the depth of the table. That turned out to be a little less than a meter, or 36 inch. And it turned out to be more deceptive than I thought in the beginning. This illusion is perfect to make a guest appear. I will try to draw some other illusions in 3D as well. Perhaps I post some more pictures of that if people are interested. But I will not show any secrets. You have to buy this book!!!!

Two drawings:
http://94.100.114.20/772150001-772200000......nG8.jpeg
http://94.100.114.176/772150001-77220000......UoG.jpeg
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Erik,
Where would someone get this software from?

Can you do trouble up?

J
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Jay-

You can download Google's Sketchup for free. It's really quite a robust 3-D program, and has a much easier learning curve than most "industrial-grade" software packages.

I use it to design stage scenery, and have used it to mock-up illusions in a similar fashion to Erik's. You can see a video of a scenery presentation I made with Sketchup by clicking here.

Now if you'll excuse me, my copy of Technique and Understanding just arrived today, so I must begin devouring it at once!
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1394 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I saw Lance use this in his show a year or two ago and it looked great.
It's all in the reflexes.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Thank you for the link. It is late right now but I will certainly dive into it tomorrow and start seeing what I can draft up.

J
MagicErik
View Profile
Loyal user
Sneek, Netherlands
284 Posts

Profile of MagicErik
Yes, Sketchup is perfect for fast drawings in a 3D environment. And you can share and download all of your creations with other users. It can really help finding and solving problems before you start building the real thing!
Today I will try to create Pandora's Box. I think it uses a great principle but there is something in the explanations and drawings that I really want to see in 3D. I would love to see your drawings Jay!!
Cool set Frank! I love the lids for storing props in the base.
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
513 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
Yes, it´s interesting to see pics. BUT be carefull to post only pics without showing any secrets (or hurting any coyrights)...
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Karsten,
Of course we will maintain secrets...

I'm excited at the possibility of doing a 3d act basically and seeing it before it's built

J
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
Erik,

I just have the book Technique and Undertsanding from Mr. Jim Steinmeyer.I lovet it indeed. You can learn a lot about Illusions and to apply themes in our performances also.

I give my warmest congratulations again to Mr. Jim Steinmeyer. From him I have the Hologram and Torch Box built by Mr. William Kennedy ( The men that Know )

I confess that I`m ignorant about 3D program, but I recognize that is very useful, mainly if you plan to build some prop from the book above.

Falconer
FALCONER
IMAGICIANS.DE facebook falcobook
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Progress update,
I am nearly done designing trouble.

J
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
I`m anxious to see what Graig Dickens will do about Trouble !

Falconer
FALCONER
IMAGICIANS.DE facebook falcobook
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
You amaze me with this trouble Smile Could be so interesting and incredible visual this illusion that from your description seem to be another box illusion?

Thank you

Jis
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Jis,
I don't think you can appreciate the illusion unless you see it. "Another Box Illusion" Is probably the worst way to describe this trick.
The box is dissected with a lady inside. It is surroundable and really deceptive in all design aspest.

I'm blown away by it myself.

I suggest you pick up the book.

You won't be disappointed. If you are I will personally buy the book from you!

J
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Here is my attempt at Trouble.

J

Click here to view attached image.
MagicErik
View Profile
Loyal user
Sneek, Netherlands
284 Posts

Profile of MagicErik
@Jay
Well I think you succeeded well with your Trouble, also considering that Sketchup was completely new for you... Now I think you can't live without this program anymore.. Lol. It is sooooooooooooooo great to be able to look at an illusion from all sides and play with color etc!!!

I had an hour to spare so nothing fancy but here is my Pandora's Box.
The measurements in the book of the box are of the inside so you have to calculate with the thickness of the material. Also with the pivotpoint you have to add the thickness of the material of the box.
I also replaced the swords with another set of spikes from the top. And I didn't make the slots for the spikes. It is a bit dark, and I played a little with some colors but I kept it black, silver and blue for now... I made the table under the box the same as the platform for the spikes. Somehow the way it is in the book did not look right. And the illusion turned out to be smaller than I thought! I hope to see this one in reality very soon!!!

http://94.100.113.27/773050001-773100000......6p-.jpeg
http://94.100.115.43/773050001-773100000......XR7.jpeg
http://94.100.114.50/773050001-773100000......ler.jpeg
http://94.100.115.199/773050001-77310000......TNC.jpeg

I kept my promise JoyJoy. No secrets.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Erik,
I was thinking the same thing about trouble. It is VERY small! As I'm sure you are aware you can choose an eye level perspective for viewing something. well I'll be ***ed if it wasn't as high as a side table basically and VERY small. The digital construction of it was amazing. Being able to choose exact sizes and measurements. The only real downside is the product ends up being so computer generated. Jim's drawings have a brilliant personality and style to them. The CAD 3d stuff is so cold and clean...

J
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Technique and Understanding (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL