The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Technique and Understanding (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
jimbomona
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of jimbomona
Just got the book yesterday! Unreal! I can't put it down......
There are so many great routines.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
And y'all thought it was just us hyping it!

The book really is amazing!

J
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Jay- I can't remember where it is in Sketchup, but there is a way to render models in a variety of "hand-drawn" styles. Definitely worth looking into!
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
I'll have to dig a little and see if I can find that Frank.

Thanks!
James FX
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
178 Posts

Profile of James FX
Erik/Jay, your drawings really help to bring Jim's creations to life- thanks for sharing! Does Sketchup allow for animation? How cool would that be?

James
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Skecthup Pro allows for limited animation. It also costs about $500! With the free version you can make camera animations, meaning you can move the viewpoint in relation to the model, but you can't actually move the model.
MagicErik
View Profile
Loyal user
Sneek, Netherlands
284 Posts

Profile of MagicErik
For those who are interested I have some drawings of other illusions in the book. No hightech and no secrets on these... (In my best Englishhhh....)

Infinity Cabinet:
http://94.100.114.22/775200001-775250000......-nO.jpeg
http://94.100.116.47/775200001-775250000......bsO.jpeg
This illusion could be performed in a circus. The secret seems to work... I made a circle on the inside, it is not in the book. I discovered an interesting thing after I made it in Sketchup. And just like many tricks in the book it plays with your mind when you see it.

The Optical Wedge Table:
http://94.100.114.183/775200001-77525000......8Hn.jpeg
I came up with this idea for an appearance. In Kole's Steelplate you float through a plate of steel. David Copperfield appeared on a plate of steel in his imploding house special. You could place a cloth on this plate and a girl seems to grow under it, while you are standing behind the table. It is a great illusion and it can be taken on and off stage if you don't put too much light on the table and the background. (For those who have the book: yes I know something is missing under the table but I want to keep the secret a secret...)

Unexpected Illusion:
http://94.100.113.182/775200001-77525000......CQz.jpeg
I played a little with the principle of his Unexpected Illusion. Just like the one above I came up with the idea of producing a girl out of steel. I replaced the assistents with two pilars.
In my opinion the pilar on the back can't have this form. Or can it? I will play with it a little more.

EVI
James FX
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
178 Posts

Profile of James FX
Thanks for the reality check Frank. For that kind of dough, the program should manage my stocks and do my taxes too! I'll just stick with the free version and rely on some good old-fashioned imagination Smile

Erik, thanks for sharing the pics; I like the "through steel" idea.

James
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
That's a lot of money for the program but I can certainly appreciate that Google has provided a free version. Bravo Google!

500 bucks for a program isn't that much compared to many of the Adobe suites available.

I'm thinking that these types of programs might make it possible to have less experienced builders produce better results having a 3D concept to work with and understand.

J
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
I would like to see the Cub-Ism Illusion in 3D concept also,Erik, can be possible ?

Falconer
FALCONER
IMAGICIANS.DE facebook falcobook
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Actually I believe a video of the Pendragons performing it can be found online linked in this thread.

J
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
Jay,

Hi,

Yes, I saw the video clip about the Pendragon`s performing the Cub-Ism Illusion and after that I agree with Craig Dickens, the "vertical wall " of the prop looks thick. I love the concept indeed.

Falconer
FALCONER
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Well, there was a reason for it as well.

Charlotte required more space for her upper body due to recent adjustments...

J
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
"for her upper body due torecent ajustments"... LOL

Oliver.
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
Hi,

I think with 7 and 1/2 inches it would be ideal for the vertical wall, measure that I found to hide the upper body in Shadow Theatre of Jim Steinmeyer plan`s. My partner would fit in that space.

However, Bill Smith did a good work on Cub-Ism Illusion.

Falconer
FALCONER
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Well, this should go on the "Daniel Summers trouble" thread, but what the heck... Dan's version is different from the book, very modern. Took a swing at it looking a bit more antique...

Click here to view attached image.
Sent from my Typewriter
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Sent from my Typewriter
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
That looks great! With all the background and everything.

Are we both using the same free version of Sketchup?

Also the all troubled one is missing one of the blocks being pivoted. The drawbridge piece come off on an angle from another open piece.

:)

J
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
No, I am using 3ds Max 9.

Actually the "troubled" one is correct, the block attached to the drawbridge is pivoted but the camera angle plays a trick there, also its lit from front (save for some fills) so it washes out the slight "v" between the two blocks and there is no shadows for depth there.
Sent from my Typewriter
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Ah ok!

Well done!

J
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Technique and Understanding (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL