The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What Kids Show Tricks Have Played Well for You? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1149 Posts

Profile of Corbett
It's been way too long since I did a kids show (years), but agreed to do one in a few months for a charity event. I need some refreshers on kids show tricks. I will do some classics, like C/R rope, mismade flag, lota bowl, tricky bottles, etc.. but wanted to get some additional feedback from you more experienced kid entertainers. What do you currently have in your show?
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1149 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I should add, some of the routines I'm considering currently include (in no particular order):

C/R rope and Prof. Nightmare
C/R newspaper
Some silk and TT stuff
Tricky Bottles
MisMade Flag
Acrobatic Knot
Small Ass - with script for Princess and the Pea
Die Box
Aldo Colombini's Real Danger (substituting the danger of spike, with something fun like eggs, bag of money, bag of candy, etc.. I haven't decided yet)
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
What age group are you performing for?

I have found 7 years and older will watch a mature magic show just fine (actually my youngest son when he was 2yrs old would sit and watch a 2 hour show mature show no problem).

In the same vein I have found 7 years and older to be jade towards "story" tricks.

Now to answer your question: My foot twisting illusion and straitjacket escape are always big hits.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1149 Posts

Profile of Corbett
This will be mostly 9-10 year-olds.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I have not had good luck with the die box for this age.

I do the Scorpion for 9 - 10 year olds, and they love it. I think any "smash and stab" would work as long as it's not too dangerous.

Card in balloon is also good, since kids this age know (or almost know) their cards. I always have them draw a face on the balloon first.

Have fun - sometimes this age can be a challenge.

That's my 2 cents.

Jim
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Hi Ronnie,

It's hard to say which tricks work as some can make effects that you wouldn't think would work work and vica versa.

Good strong effects (like those which you have listed) with a lot of family comedy work well for this age. I'd just pick the effects you can do well and see if you need to adapt the script.

Do many of those effects involve a helper?

George
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1149 Posts

Profile of Corbett
George, to answer your question, most of those routines involve helpers.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Should be grand then
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1207 Posts

Profile of Michael238
Gene Anderson newstear
Martin Lewis Cardographic
peanut butter and jelly Tim Wenk version
www.mikebrownmagic.com
<BR>http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=885780636
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
For that age group I get a great reaction from six card repeat, followed by cards across.
Also, I have a great routine involving swallowing a balloon, and that goes down well.
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Veteran user
Berlin/Germany
391 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
I can recommend: paper to bill (use it), thunbtip routine with silk, David Ginns Snake Can Routine with lots of gag wands, cut and restored rope together with gag scissor(s), tricky bottles, invisible deck.
MrGreggy
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MrGreggy
Any trick, within reason, will work with kids audiences. It's all about how you present them, what bits of business you add, comedy timing, etc etc. There are plenty of books and videos with routines and gags that can be incorporated into just about any trick.

Just pick a trick, one that you do very well, and focus on the routine. It's all about the performance. Remember, put your total attention on the kids, and they will pay attention to you.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5737 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Sponge Balls, Linking Rings, Chop Cup and Egg Bag go over huge, if you have a great routine.
kingsillusions
View Profile
New user
San Diego, CA
19 Posts

Profile of kingsillusions
McCombical Deck
Snake Basket
Hippity-Hop Rabbits work well, due to being a sucker effect, for all ages
Kandu's The Rope Trick (uses three audience volunteers, and has lots of room to add material and other effects within the already great routine)
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Chico
Bigger Wands
Chair Suspension helps bring up the value and ad the kodak moment
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Try Miser's Dream, Corbett
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Or....Silk to egg (Steve Dacri, Ammar and Don Alan come to mind)
Irfaan Kahan
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of Irfaan Kahan
The Magic Coloring Book seemed to tickle everybody . . .
I'm a Magician playing the part of an Actor
coolini
View Profile
Regular user
australia
175 Posts

Profile of coolini
My ungimmicked version of 3 coins across followed by miser dream is great and what's my job trick
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I may also state the obvious here as well. Remember it is not so much the effect but what you do with it that leaves them liking you and loving the experience you create. =)

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What Kids Show Tricks Have Played Well for You? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL