The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Billiard Ball Stand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I was just curious if anyone is using a billiard ball stand in their routine. If so, can you tell me if it adds substantively to the routine? I have a fairly clean routine right now that uses a set of Fakinis, two different colored balls, a silk and a top hat. I'm wondering if the use of the stand would be worth it. Thanks!

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
That is really a hard question to answer, although many may give their own opinions, either for or against. It is not really a "one size fits all" prop.

I think it really depends on how it fits into your act, and how you use it. Obviously, it is a piece of apparatus that can accomplish a couple different things. Similar things can be done without the prop, but certainly not as easily or with as much visual display. I believe it would fit nicely with some acts, and perhaps horribly with others. How do you see it fitting within your act?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
That's the problem. I'm not convinced that it would fit in my act. But, I know the stands have been around for a long, long time and I want to be sure I'm not overlooking something that might add another dimension to the routine.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
It also depends on the theme of your act. Would this stand fit in your theme, stage character, music, etc. I like the stand but could not get to fit into my act too.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22871 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Tim Wright has his presentation of the Billiard Ball Stand on his Billiard Ball teaching DVD. He use to work at Abbott's Magic and demo it because he likes it. I have not seen him use it in his act. It is a nice display of to have on stage to remind the audience of what they have witnessed.

The design is rather old fashion and needs a more modern look for today. The ones I have seen are made of wood. Remember you will need a table to set the stand on and that is one more prop to deal with in your act set up. If they made it with a floor stand, visually that may be better.

Ball size is another concern, if you use the standard size ball, then it will comparatively be fine to use, but they do not come in 2" size to my knowledge. Abbott's and Owen Magic is the only models I am familiar with, I do not know if there are any new ones on the market you may be referring to.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
I can't find one for sale. I developed this candelabra for the same purpose, it can conceal five two inch balls in the rim & you can "drop" them in & produce more and more from thin air

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/uploa......3515.jpg
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22871 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2009-10-16 12:24, billappleton wrote:
I can't find one for sale. I developed this candelabra for the same purpose, it can conceal five two inch balls in the rim & you can "drop" them in & produce more and more from thin air

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/uploa......3515.jpg

Your recepticle is very beautiful, but it is not the same as we are discussing on this string. You only seem to put the balls in a Billiard Ball Stand, except the last one. There was also put out some years back by Abbott's a container called a Ball Box. This you would drop your balls into the top of the box and see them pile up through the window. It was made of plexiglas, but they painted most of it except for the windows on the sides. It did not sell very well, so no longer available. It was a great idea, but was made from thin plastic and windows were rather small on the finished product. Again, this container only gave the impression of dropping balls in the box.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Thanks bill, I guess I thought they were doing the same thing, mainly "producing" balls. can someone describe the standard routine for a ball stand? I think the ball stands look cool, something Thurston would use... but maybe I don't get the purpose exactly
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22871 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The purpose is to display the balls produced. The usual routine is a production of balls. From there you can do anything your skill level permits. Vanish, transportation, penetration, etc. Then you place the ball in the opening of the stand. This you do until it is filled and finally place the last one in the center.

Some performers like to leave a stage empty, they believe the final applause will be for them and them alone. Others believe you can have a display of what you have shown them and leave the stage with a display of accomplishments.

It is totally a personal thing or a belief system by whoever your mentor is advising you.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I once designed a billiard ball stand in the shape of a Chinese dragon with the body forming four coiled circles that I put the balls in after they were produced. It was basically a display stand, not a gimmicked one, although I gimmicked one of the coils to accept a sh*ll matching the other balls. Lost the stand over the years of moving from city to city and never got around to making a new one. I have seen Chinese dragon statues where one of the hands clutched a sphere, so I think a dragon billiard ball stand would be logical. Now that I think about it, a dragon stand for the Zombie would be a possible prop, too. Probably could gimmick one so that when the Zombie ball vanishes from the foulard, the ball could reappear with a puff of smoke on the stand.

There's a very nice Chinese legend about "The Dragon's Pearl" that maybe could be worked into a Zombie routine. There's a children's book version by Julie Lawson and Paul Morin based on the legend that could maybe be worked into a patter story for a magic routine.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
In one routine I use a Fakini billard ball stand. For me and that particular routine it is more than great!
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Quote:
On 2009-10-16 13:22, wmhegbli wrote:
The purpose is to display the balls produced. The usual routine is a production of balls. From there you can do anything your skill level permits. Vanish, transportation, penetration, etc. Then you place the ball in the opening of the stand. This you do until it is filled and finally place the last one in the center.

Some performers like to leave a stage empty, they believe the final applause will be for them and them alone. Others believe you can have a display of what you have shown them and leave the stage with a display of accomplishments.

It is totally a personal thing or a belief system by whoever your mentor is advising you.

This is perhaps one of the most insightful comments I have ever read/heard concerning the use of a prop. It really made me think long and hard about how I wanted to convey my magic and the various options I have in staging my routines. I'm a firm believer that the magic should be more about the performer than the prop. Does the stand take away from the abilities of the performer?

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I prefer work with as little props as possible. That is because I want the audience to see the magic coming from ME and not from the props. I may be old school but that is my preference.
maxzve
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of maxzve
"Does the stand take away from the abilities of the performer? "

I don't think so in that case. You still have to be a good performer and magician to use it. I would like to have one myself.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2009-10-18 09:31, JamesTong wrote:
I prefer work with as little props as possible. That is because I want the audience to see the magic coming from ME and not from the props. I may be old school but that is my preference.

Whoops, spelling and grammar error. The first sentence should be ... I prefer working with as few props as possible.

There is nothing wrong with the stand. It is very well made. I would always ask myself ... why would I want a stand for ... if I am not doing a theme act.
Matt101
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Matt101
Hi Kent,

I am using this ball stand - http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=784 ,it is very nicely made(it was originally made in the Czech Republic, not in Germany) and I use it in my performance, audience simply loves it!

I can obtain this stand for you if you are interested.(PM me for details)

Matt
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
Fakini used to make them .. I have his old catalogue
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22871 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, Fakini made a large floor model, if memory serves me correctly, he only sold them at Abbott's Magic Convention. He has not brought one for some years, so if they are still available is unknown. You would have to call him. His items are very pricey as is his his beautiful Color Changing Blume Stand.

The only suggestion I can make is again to buy the Tim Wright Billiard Ball DVD and watch this to make up your mind, Tim is an expert manipulator and believe he still uses the Abbott's Magic stand.

Here: http://stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=4819
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Anyone have Frank's email adress?

Thanks!
Dare to Dream...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22871 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sorry, no email address, you have to write or call him.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Billiard Ball Stand (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL