The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » A suggestion if I may . . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

alibaba
View Profile
Loyal user
Hawaii
280 Posts

Profile of alibaba
Well, a couple of suggestions:

It might be helpful if the posts in a thread could be numbered. This would make it easier to refer to previous posts.

And while I'm at it: What's the deal with not being able to search twice in a row without getting the "it's too soon, try again later" message?

And how about being able to select a forum from the list and displaying it by pressing the enter key instead of having to push the "go" button.
I'm as real as you think I am
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Don't understand the suggestion. Please explain the benefit of numbering posts.

I can't believe the question about the time restriction for searching has been asked again. Look at the topic one below yours. It was just asked and answered with a link to the entire explanation

The only time you would press a "go"key is if you wanted to see the last post in a thread. There is no "go" button to select a forum. You might want to explain this question as well.
Where the magic begins
aukt
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of aukt
Dave;

I have to say I too think it would be beneficial if every post within a respective thread had a number. that way in long threads (2 pages or more) a person could refer to post 22 or post 47 when referring back and forth to particular points, which on certain occasions would be much easier and more efficient than using the quote feature if I needed to talk about numberous idfferent posts simultaneously. I've often thought that this would be useful. Many fora already have it as a default matter of course.

I can't comment on any of the others. But on this one, I expect it would be very useful.

thanks for considering and listening.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
OK, there are 30 posts per page. Suppose you were in a topic that was 4 pages in length and you wanted to make a comment about something that was said on page 2. If you simply referenced post number 36 for example, how would anyone really know what you were talking about? They would have to read your post and then go back to page 2 and read post number 36. Don't you think that would be more cumbersome for the reader? The only one that would know your intent would be you.

By using the quote feature, it is easy to follow the thought and your meaning.
Where the magic begins
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
I think the quote feature is excellent..not sure why numbering the posts would be of that much use. I go on a number of forums that have numbered quotes and I can't say its ever been of either use or hindrance.

Quote gets my vote
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Quotes are good. I also frequent message boards where the posts are numbered and people refer to a post number. It works really well for when a post you wish to quote is very long and you don't want to quote the entire thing therefore filling up a lot of screen space with something that has already been said.

But it's all good.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
You usually should not have to quote an entire post. If you are making a comment, you can quote the portion that you are referring to.
Where the magic begins
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Each post is also dated (date and time), so if one wanted to use a numbering system to refer to a post, it is already there.

Quote:
2009-10-16 14:26, alibaba post
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Alibaba, a single post can also be pasted. Check out the following link showing your first post on this thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=6307252
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Quote:
On 2009-11-19 08:45, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Each post is also dated (date and time), so if one wanted to use a numbering system to refer to a post, it is already there.

Quote:
2009-10-16 14:26, alibaba post

That's a great idea Tony!

Thanks Smile
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Quote:
On 2009-11-19 12:10, Dynamike wrote:
Alibaba, a single post can also be pasted. Check out the following link showing your first post on this thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=6307252

Also a very good idea.. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » A suggestion if I may . . . (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL