The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Do they exist? 15" and 21" silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Well, they were popular in the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s. But back then silk came from Japan.

The second sentence on page 8 of Harold Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic he tells you that China silk is better than the "Jap" silk. What he didn't say was that it was illegal to import into the USA back then. That has changed. Now it is legally available in America.

Since the silk came in 15" and 21" sizes, the props were built to accommodate that. Now that better silk is available, we have to deal with different standard sizes. Standard sizes today are 6", 9", 12", 18", 24" and 36". The 18" and 24" effectively replace 15" and 21". However, that can also "wreck the train".

It leaves us a problem of old props missing their old silks. Substituting 12" and 18" silks diminishes the flash of the effect. The larger sizes usually won't fit.

Surprise! For a limited time I have imported a few 15" and 21" silks (custom work) with the good 2mm hems from China. If you are resupplying an old prop or routine, I might can help you. There is no plan to restock these.

Scheme!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- For magicians closer to 5' tall than 6' tall, the 21" works better with body loads etc. than a 24" silk due to the "wing span" of the magician. (Tony Slydini used 21" for that reason.) Tony always told us that the silk should not sag when you cross your arms.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Pete white (P&A) custom makes some of those sizes.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Abbott's Magic sell a 15" silk, I don't know about 21". Depending on your use, men's pocket hankerchief that are worn in the outer breast pocket are about 22", so you would be able to use these if you desire.

We have a Burlington Coat Factory here and they sell several different colors of Men's Pocket Hankies made out of pure silk for $3.75 a piece. Being you did not give any insite as to the purpose of your question, that is all I can advise.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Bill, an importer of silk and accomplished magician, Bob is making a statement, not looking for a purpose. This is an informational topic.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The ones from Burlington are made of lining and are great for "cover" in card and coin magic but not very good for loads or stage magic. They are heavy and bulky. (Apparently they have gone up $.25 in price too.)

Actually, the problem people bring me is that many of the old gimmicks and props have never been brought up to date for the 18" and 24" silks. They simply won't hold them space-wise. Many of those props and gimmicks are still in production today as the "latest" stuff. Retooling would help.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have hemmed 15" silks for years in 5, 6 and 8 momme. It is a standard size for me. I can do 21" but there is little call for it. I think I could go crazy trying to hem all the different possible sizes.

In event, I have 15" in stock and can make 21" if needed.

As for retooling, even some of the new stuff will not take the heavier silk. Levent's new half dyed gimmick will not take 6 mm 15" silks. I know because I had to make a special set for George Schlinder.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-10-16 16:12, wmhegbli wrote:
Abbott's Magic sell a 15" silk, I don't know about 21". Depending on your use, men's pocket hankerchief that are worn in the outer breast pocket are about 22", so you would be able to use these if you desire.

We have a Burlington Coat Factory here and they sell several different colors of Men's Pocket Hankies made out of pure silk for $3.75 a piece. Being you did not give any insite as to the purpose of your question, that is all I can advise.

I used to buy those pocket square by the gross, pure silk and very opaque. I packaged
it in my "pepsilkola" effect. Do they wholesale it?

Having dinner with Levent on Saturday, he lectures on Sunday.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Tell him hi from me.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I too have made a few 15" silks...mostly for 1/2 dyed silk routines. I can't think of any other effect where a 15" is critical.
As for 21", I've made dozens... Many bolts of silk come in a 45" width and by purchasing a piece that is a yard and a quarter (45" long) you can easily tear that into 4 silks 22' inches square, without any waste. When hemmed, you have a silk just over 21 " square.

But it's always good to know that Dealers such as Bob and Richard can supply those of us who might choose not to make their own!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's also important to remember that just because Abbott's has it on their web site or in their catalog does not necessarily mean that they have it in stock.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Jneal makes a good point. I get my silk in 36", 45" and 54" sizes. I have a master cut list so I do not waste a lot of silk making different sizes. Mathmatically, it becomes a real pain trying to make 24" silks. I end up with a lot of 9" silks or streamers. One problem is they say it is 45" and it is really 44. That really throws a monkey wrench into the whole thing.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Rice
View Profile
Regular user
Ruth Rice Crone
106 Posts

Profile of Rice
Silk King Studios has beautiful 15", hemmed, spectrum silks in eight colors in stock. They also are a standard size with us.

Here is the link:

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20S......ilks.htm
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
There you go folks at least 4 sources for those hard to generally find at the corner magic store or on the internet. As JNeal said, they are often used in the half dyed hank routines.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
Thank you all for the info. - I will keep that in mind.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Revmike,

Shall I bring some to Kutztown this weekend?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
No one has mentioned using a diamond silk instead. Is that Feasible?
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
1, fccfp wrote:
No one has mentioned using a diamond silk instead. Is that Feasible?

feasible for what? I would not recommend them for a half dyed silk routine.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Jay,

For many dye tube routines diamond cuts do indeed work. I have even seen people who can't vanish an 18" square, vanish a 12" diamond cut (that appears to be an 18" square) for 18" 20th Century Silk. That works because the audience never sees a square and diamond cut at the same time.

For Half-Dyed it would not be very convincing.

We also get requests from magicians wanting zebra stripes and other prints in diamond cuts. We certainly can't recommend that either. (They tell on you!)

Scheme!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
To answer two questions I have gotten about the old size 15" and 21" silks:

Yes, the 15" will work in some old dye tubes and also the homemade ones made from pill bottles.

No, the 21" is a little too small to use for Knots-Off Silk. The problem is knot tying space. It is also too large for vanishing cane.

These were primarily for refills on antique props. But for a person 5' 8" or less, they will enjoy using the 21" in place of a 24" silk for many applications due to the better fit for arm span. This is especially true for body loads produced with a silk. (Doves, bottles, etc.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
In answer to a question,

Yes, I will have 15" and 21" silks with me on The Hall of Dealers at The International Battle of Magicians in Canton, OH May 5-7.

If you are hunting silk for antique magic props, here is your chance.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Do they exist? 15" and 21" silks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL