The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » A new book definitely worth reading (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
billm55
View Profile
Regular user
Des Moines, Iowa
144 Posts

Profile of billm55
ZZZZZZZZZZZ..
Bill Mogolov
The Mental Magic of M
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Bill, thanks for the heads up on the book. I have ordered my copy. I appreciate you sharing.
billm55
View Profile
Regular user
Des Moines, Iowa
144 Posts

Profile of billm55
You're very welcome. Glad you found my post worthwhile.
Bill Mogolov
The Mental Magic of M
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I am not a book critic nor a journalist but I am an avid reader. I purchased the book and was not as pleased with it as Bill. (no offense) I wanted to check out the free content on-line that I am allowed to view by owning the book however I was unable to subscribe. I tried but was not allowed to so I wrote to the contact to see about correcting this.

I found 10 things in the book that I did find useful. The first one on page 158. I'm not going to share them because if you want to know you should buy the book. I will tell you what I did not like about it.

First of all they tell you from the start that it is content from the website and that it has not been edited because they wanted to make a larger profit in order to donate more proceeds to two charities and not pay a "High dollar editor." Noble yes, but it made it very difficult to read. When it says "through" and it meant to say "though" only to name one of the many typos that it is riddled with. The other thing I didn't care for was the repetitive nature and wasted pages. 376 pages but if it had been read by the authors and edited down it would have been probably half of that. Waste of paper and my time.

The reason I bought the book was because this is a new career for me. I have been a full time entertainer for 20 some odd years and am learning this trade for personal reasons. If I was new to the business perhaps I would have found more information valuable.

All in all I don't think it was worth what I paid. Too much inspiration and not enough tips. At times I felt like they were trying to convince me to be in the hypnosis business. They don't need to do that. That is why I bought the book.

At times I felt like they were describing what a bicycle looks like when I wanted them to tell me how to ride one.

Ted
billm55
View Profile
Regular user
Des Moines, Iowa
144 Posts

Profile of billm55
Ted:
If you don't like the book, I believe Mr. Ronning has a money back guarantee on all his products. Get your money back.
Bill Mogolov
The Mental Magic of M
Stuart Cumberland
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stuart Cumberland
Rotten,

The book is $28.00 on Amazon. You mention you got ten things out of the book. That's $2.80 for each idea.

I have no idea what you charge for your show, but assuming that those are business ideas, don't you think that you'd have a remarkable return on investment for that book?

I'm certainly not trying to sell you on it. If you didn't like it, fine. You can't please everyone.

Now, to be fair, I'm biased. Both Ronning and Frolic are friends. I picked up some terrific ideas out of the book, and I've been in the business for a long time.

My father used to say, if you just get ONE idea out of a book, it has paid for itself. (Not to mention, is something you can take with you the rest of your life).

With regards to logging on. I had no problem, but I'll send Geoff a note letting him know.
Stuart Cumberland
GeoffreyRonning
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of GeoffreyRonning
Ted,

Stuart let me know you had an issue. It looks like this was posted on the 18th, here is the last reply I got from you on Nov 19th.

--------------

Geoff,

Thank you for your speedy reply. I have to run errands now but will look at it more tomorrow.

-------------

If there is a problem write me direct at the email you have for me.

Best,

Geoff
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20377 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2009-11-22 19:10, Stuart Cumberland wrote:
Rotten,

The book is $28.00 on Amazon. You mention you got ten things out of the book. That's $2.80 for each idea.

I have no idea what you charge for your show, but assuming that those are business ideas, don't you think that you'd have a remarkable return on investment for that book?

I'm certainly not trying to sell you on it. If you didn't like it, fine. You can't please everyone.

Now, to be fair, I'm biased. Both Ronning and Frolic are friends. I picked up some terrific ideas out of the book, and I've been in the business for a long time.

My father used to say, if you just get ONE idea out of a book, it has paid for itself. (Not to mention, is something you can take with you the rest of your life).

With regards to logging on. I had no problem, but I'll send Geoff a note letting him know.

I believe I can help here. I am NOT biased, and have never been in the same zip code with Mr. Ronning. That being said, if you got 10 ideas out of ONE book that to me seems WAY ahead of the curve.

I am DEFINATLY not trying to sell ANYTHING to anyone but again 10 ideas out of a book for 28 bucks is a bargain and I would almost think of more as a testimonial as opposed to critisism. Seriously.

I can't tell you how many magic books are filled with fluf and crap just to keep the covers further apart and look like a better value. VERY FEW if any have 10 workable ideas in them.

Mind you I am not commenting on the book itself, only that 10 ideas were found in it and that seems a pretty good ratio is all.

I also know Richard Nongard sells the book and he speaks quite highly of both the book and Mr. Ronning.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
You can get a preview at the above link and a few chapters free. I think the free chapters are actually quite a good indication that the book is worth the price although you might need to do further research - it points you in the right direction. From what I have read.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I have to say I'm with Danny. I've paid more for DVDs or books and only gotten 1 good idea from them...and considered them well worth my money.
Stuart Cumberland
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

I'm glad all you guys are in agreement with me. It's a valuable book.

SC
Stuart Cumberland
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20377 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I certainly agree 10 ideas is valuable!

I also would say that 10 ideas would outweigh any sort of "asthetic issues" the book may or may not have.

I would settle for 10 ideas written with chalk on a shovel!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Stuart Cumberland
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

It just occurred to me that my Father's rule is simply the power of positive suggestion, isn't it? To look for the good, instead of the bad.

If someone charged $100.00 for a book, and you got ONE idea out of it... think of this... you'd make that back in BOR alone in ONE GIG. Forget whatever your fee is.

Just a thought.
Stuart Cumberland
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Mr. Ronning was very fast in fixing the problem with me logging in. I must say that his website is a fountain of information. I have received at least another 5 good points from that alone.

I do understand that good ideas are valuable. I keep an index card as a book mark in this type of book and as I read it I write down the page number and proximity of the piece I would like to review. I have reviewed a few, been busy packing, and have found that many of them were things I knew but enjoyed having them outlined. So "good idea" might not have been the right term. Before my very eyes but now focused,perhaps.
You guys are really into semantics. ;-)

As I stated, the book could be much more valuable to someone who has never been in show biz.

I didn't like the difficult read due to typos (if you can read a book that long and not have a problem with typos that's great) and making it to over 150 pages before I said "There is a page number worth writing down." was a bit long. Just a little editing done by the writers instead of the reader would have made me happier. Just stating it as I read it.

That all being said I have ordered Mr. Ronnings Stage Hypnosis Book (thanks to the guys who suggested it here). So I obviously don't feel burned by the transaction. It's not like I can't spare 40 bucks. I was just giving future buyers an idea of what they had coming. I am NOT trying to discourage anyone from buying anything. I'm not even suggestion anyone buy anything. I will only give my opinion.

I could have researched it more and found a better price. If you buy it from Mr. Ronnings site directly you receive a temporary free access to his website! Wish I knew that when I bought the first book from Amazon but it all worked out in the end. Thanks again Geoff for getting your web guys on it.

I know guys who have read many book about working cruise ships and yet one e-mail from me they considered far more valuable than all their purchases combined. Ideas are worth what they can create. So I will continue to follow up on my review as the business progresses.

I have no hard feelings toward anyone about this nor do I wish to receive any.

Regards,
Ted
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
>>>
As I stated, the book could be much more valuable to someone who has never been in show biz<<

I just skimmed through the free chapters. And the section on not begging or cojolling members of the audience to take part is worth the price to newbies.

And you are a newbie Ted. I am sure there many more tips directly related to stage hypnosis.

I think part of the problem is that you haven't started doing hypno shows yet so you don't fully appreciate whats in the book until you go out and do some shows.

Hypnosis is nothiing like stand up in regards to audience and volunteer management. Its a completely different game which you are about to find out.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
MP, the book is not about how to perform stage hypnosis. My comments where about the length of the book and typos. The internet and spell check has done horrible things to the written language.

Danny, perhaps the curve should be improved.

I'm a variety comic and have dealt with crowd management my whole life. But that is not the subject of this book. Read it and then you can add you comments with more knowledge.

Regards,
Ted
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
See, I was able to write "where" when I meant "were". Point .... Makes for a tough read. Not asthetic issues at all. Gee did I spell asthetic write?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
In the free chapters I saw advice specific to performing. Cajoling or begging is specific to stage hypnosis performance. I don't know what the rest of the book contains. You may well be right. And Its good that you give an honest opinion/review. We need more of them
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Thank you. I appreciate your positive comment. I had no intention of being negative. Just honest about what I red. I mean read. ;-) The english language is a funny thing.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I am only on page 68 of Mr. Ronnings book, "Guide to modern stage hypnosis" and I would like to thank the people who suggested this book. It is a book! Well written and from what I can tell covers everything. I'm very impressed with it. Thank you.

Ted
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » A new book definitely worth reading (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL