The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Jan Rouven in Vegas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Just because the show is free to watch doesn't mean the Downtown hotels aren't paying him to perform.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
euroillusion
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of euroillusion
@ BradMagic - Thanks for clearing that up! Maybe there are circumstances that led to him performing unauthorized illusions earlier in his career. I'm glad as I think Rouven is really good!
stephane_arnow
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of stephane_arnow
''Just because the show is free to watch doesn't mean the Downtown hotels aren't paying him to perform.''

Exactly!
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
514 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
Quote:
On 2009-10-24 18:23, BradMagic wrote:
most of the illusions he uses in his shows are originals from licensed builders with the fee being paid.

Well 'most' is not enough at all and doesn´t justify anything. And it definatly doesn´t justify ethical theft through using unauthorized props like the drill. (It is actually his main attraction piece there.)
E.g. that sounds like a car thief with a stolen Ferrari: "But I did buy my most other cars..."

And making a 'donation' to another person also doesn´t justify anything. What is with André Kole? What is with the other authorized (or planing) performers, who did pay for 'solo rights' or 'limited further performance right sells'?

And that he did get a Windshear built later from Bill Smith doesn´t say anything. Is Bill checking all customers before selling something? (Is Jim able to check everybody?)

Quote:
On 2009-10-24 18:23, BradMagic wrote:
The only reson is that there were other issues involved...
Well if there were no royalties paid or personal legitimation of Kole, it doesn´t matter what issues are involved. We have to respect the decision of the inventor, even if we don´t like it (e.g. that he doesn´t give us the right, or he wants to much for it, or he only allows this special builder to build it, etc...).
Keith Jozsef
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Keith Jozsef
Quote:
On 2009-10-25 00:48, Pete Biro wrote:
Just because the show is free to watch doesn't mean the Downtown hotels aren't paying him to perform.

I never said they were not paying him--but it's surely not as much as a show that was bringing in revenue, through ticket sales.
MagicErik
View Profile
Loyal user
Sneek, Netherlands
284 Posts

Profile of MagicErik
But is it a good show and does the audience like him? Is it successfull?
Keith Jozsef
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Keith Jozsef
How do you define "success"?....especially when there are no sales figures...
MagicErik
View Profile
Loyal user
Sneek, Netherlands
284 Posts

Profile of MagicErik
Well at least he always has a standing ovation... :-p How to the audiences respond? Do they throw tomatoes and eggs at him? Is the street filled with people watching? Do they like it, or not? What are the overall reactions? Positive? Negative? Why?

And please don't start with something like 'they should not react at all at a copycat etc...' We know that now... (Sorry)
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Keith: He may be getting far more than ticket sale profits would be. Bear in mind that many of the acts in Las Vegas "four wall" paying to rent a theater, the crews, the staff, the advertising, the unions, electricity, etc., and often make little or no profit. One very well known illusionist not long ago had an "angel" (a patron) pay it all and no money at all was made... it was all a loss, done probably for publicity and/or bragging rights.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Keith... You define success by the client being happy with what you are providing as well as the traffic flow.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
BradMagic
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of BradMagic
@ Magic Eric:

I saw Jan´s show in Las Vegas and yes, it´s a good show and the audience likes him!

What I think is unusual for a show like this that people are lining up 20 minutes before the show starts. That's very unique for Fremont Street (I saw other shows over there, too).

Jan is a charismatic performer and he keeps the audiences attention - even doing audience participation acts.

The show has got a good flow, he is very energetic and you can tell that he loves what he is doing! He has got something.

There os a faboulous introductional movie about Jan on the big screen above the peoples heads. It seems that the people who booked him are really supporting him. There is also advertising all over Las Vegas (moving billboards on the strip with his picture, taxi trunk ads, magazine ads).

What he does is basically good for magic in Las Vegas in general because there has never been a magic show on Fremont Street before and he proofs that this kind of entetainment works on a place where they just had bands headlinig before...

Brad
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
514 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
Btw. is BradMagic = Frank Alfter ? ;-)
arkellmagic
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of arkellmagic
It really amazes me about all the other magicians on here are saying that Jan Rouven performs knock-offs. This is not true, he is very nice, and if he knows the inventor is the one that really invented the Illusion than he will pay them the performance rights to Steinmeyer, Andre Kole etc...The problem is when many people say they invented it and want the money for performance rights when they are not the true inventor or they claim it to be their intellectual property when it is not! Talk to the sources before posting comments that make Jan Rouven appear to be un-ethical or un-professional until you know for sure but really most important why worry about other people`s career and success and make something happen with your show like Jan Rouven has done and than we should all be supportive of another respected, nice, and upcoming Illusionist because it will help elevate our art form!! Have PASSION!!
BradMagic
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of BradMagic
Quote:
On 2009-10-26 06:31, JoyJoy wrote:
Btw. is BradMagic = Frank Alfter ? ;-)

No, I am not. Why do you accuse me of being somebody else?
I just saw the show and liked it. And so did others. You should see the audience reaction!

Brad
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
514 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
Okay - thanks.
Because it was interesting that somebody popped up here and did his first posts ever - directly after I did mention (informingly) the discussion about JanR to the management of JanR (Frank Alfter). Well, what are the odds! And it is coincidental also somebody with some "special" (vectored) background infos... It seamed only curios. But okay - can happen.
And btw. not 'accusing' - 'asking' (with question mark). So only a normal question.
There is a lot possible anonymously...

@ Magic Eric - here you can see the audience reaction:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDTEtD_O3OA
patrickske
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of patrickske
Magic Creates Life
John Taylor
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
136 Posts

Profile of John Taylor
I would think about using a builder in Europe if I could find a trustworthy one.

Do not buy from Startixx he rips off everything including my Suspended Animation.

Bill Smith - Magic Ventures is a name you can trust, I have been doing business with Bill since 1999 and his business ethic is great.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
The Brick Wall performance misses almost all the most important beats and convincers. That piece just doesn't work with the "music video" style of performing at all. It needs to be a talk-through routine.
It's all in the reflexes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Jan Rouven in Vegas (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL