The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » It works (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3398 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I just did my first vent puppet yesterday during my revamped Halloween Safety show and it killed. I am so happy. I've done a silent rabbit in the hat puppet for years which is always a highlight for the kids, but I always worried how I could translate that level of physical comedy into largely verbal humor. Anyway, I was happy to see how well it went and how engrossed the kids were. You guys really have something here. It's powerfully entertaining for the kids and adults too. I'm going to try doing more of it.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
You said it all in the next to last line. Congrats on your success.
Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

JimbosMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of JimbosMagic
Well done James. Now I have got to get the courage to do the same.
JIMMY CARLO. KIDabra International Family Entertainer of the Year 2009.
IBM Triple Award Winner. Uk Champion of Comedy Magic.
Represented the UK in the United Slapstick Awards on German TV.
European Children's Entertainer of the year 2007/8
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Congratulations Jim.

Keep up the good work, before you know it the puppets will be taking over your show!

;)
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3398 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, everyone. Jimbo, it was a bit scary but a lot of fun. I sense a lot of potential for entertainment and growth in the puppet.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
Congratulations James!!!!!!
Mister Mystery
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Its great when you take that first step. I contemplated it for years. I got a load of puppets, and didn't like any. Then I was in a promoters office and he had a dog which he was about to throw out. I took it away and it was in my show that afternoon. I have not looked back since.
Finding the right puppet for you was the key for me. Good luck with it. Tony.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
For all you guys adding vent to your shows...stop that!

Just kidding! No - what you need to do is to come to the Venthaven Convention.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Great work James Smile Congratulations Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3398 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thank you guys. It's great to receive a pat on the back from all you experienced artists. I am a newbie in this arena. I've only done the vent at preschools. After the show, I heard the kids telling some parents, "He has a monkey, too!"
Are there any books and dvds would you recommend to extend my knowledge? Thanks.

Jim
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
Anything by Mark Wade.
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Jim,
When I started, I purchased everything I could and played with it all. The two things I found most valuable at the start were Paul Winchell's instructional video (for the labial substitutions) and the Maher course - which made practicing fun.

Since you've already done a show, you probably have the technical down. From that point, I recommend you read the DVD thread on this forum and purchase some of those.

Watch how ventriloquists manipulate their puppets, change pitch, time their dialog, breathe, create a believable character and interact with those characters. See how their characters interact with the crowd (if they do) and how they themselves relate to the audience. Viewing performances will give you ideas to practice that will help you improve your technique.

Most important - have fun!
Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Thanks so much for sharing your moment. You will have lots more...

Bringing joy to your art...priceless.

This journey has gone on for this nearly normal vent since about 1976. A friend said I could "borrow" a Jerry Mahoney for as long as I was using it. Twenty five years later I returned it when asked so he could pass it on to his granddaughter. During those years I added many puppets. (these days my wife and I joke that we are "Married with Puppets")

Animating your figure is crucial. My him/her/it come alive. Connecting with the audience prior to the first word (by you or your puppet) is also important. There are so many parts that make up this thing called ventriloquism and puppetry.

Bringing things from your own life can help it become meaningful to you and your audience. A puppet can have words and silent bits. Some of my puppets seem to be on heavy doses of Caféine, while others are down right in slow mo.....tion.

About 8 or so years ago, I discovered a C/D by Pat Fraley..the best cartoon voices stolen out of Hollywood. Noises, dialects, animal sounds some created by me vocally, musically or digitally can add to the overall experience.

New this year raven, dove and bat puppets with flappable wings.

Be safe, well and creative in your journey into ventriloquism...

Welcome!

Tis the season to give and receive...

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3398 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thank you, Harris and all. I will try to find the Paul Winchell dvds and others.

Jim
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3398 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Can't seem to find the Paul Winchell dvd anywhere. Anyone have a source? Thank you.

Jim
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3398 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, Tod, I ordered it today.

I thought I'd recount another puppet/vent experience I had last week that you guys would like to hear and that wowed me.

I was doing a new preschool for their Halloween show. It was a wealthy area and all the parents where there and it was a bit out of control despite my efforts. The parents were all over the room and while many of them were respectful and behaving themselves, a number of them were not: they were talking and up front taking pictures of their kids and the kids as a result were somewhat out of control. I am use to keeping control but it was something of a losing battle.

BUT as soon as I started the new vent routine that I added to the Halloween show this year, everything changed. The parents shut up. The kids actually rushed the puppet at first but were pulled back. Suddenly you could hear a pin drop. At the end of the routine, the parents burst into spontaneous applause. I was very surprised but pleseantly so of course. The power of the vent puppet continues for me.

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » It works (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL