We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Silk appear using rising wand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ldrosenblum
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
103 Posts

Profile of ldrosenblum
This is an embarrassing question, but I've long lost my instructions that came with my rising wand, and wanted to use it to make a silk appear. I remember that it could be used for this, but never learned the technique. Could someone please provide the answer, or (if that isn't kosher) point me in the correct direction?
I'm a newbie, BTW.
Thanks.
Check out my new book on our 'perceptual superpowers': www.LawrenceRosenblum.com . It discusses new research on the psychology of misdirection and the neuroplasticity behind expert motor skills.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Can't help you out, but welcome to the Café' !

Tommy
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
The rising wand you're thinking of...is that the hollow tube with the elastic, and the beads on the ends of the elastic?

Two ways come to mind...

1. Tie silk to end of elastic next to bead with easy-to-remove knot, and ball it up or tie it in one of those bundles that will snap open. When you want to do this, grab the silk and stretch the elastic to the other end of the wand. You come out of your case apparently just holding a wand, with the silk concealed in your hand and the elastic running down the upstage side of the wand. Make a gesture and release the silk and elastic, which (like a card sword) snaps the silk to the other end of the wand. Presto! A handkerchief appears on the end of your wand.

2. Remove the elastic, stuff the silk down inside the wand, leaving a small tip exposed. Maybe the tip has a tiny magnet in it. Then you can touch the tip to something and pull the wand away quickly, leaving a silk there. Similar to some old styles of appearing flowers.

I think #1 is the better of the two, but I'm sure that I read both methods years ago, but not necessarily in the same place. One may have been in a book, while the other was in the instructions for the rising wand.

Jeff
ldrosenblum
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
103 Posts

Profile of ldrosenblum
Thanks everyone-

I just tried Jeff's suggestion #1 (also suggested by someone else via private message) and it worked great! It looks surprisingly smooth and my own kids definitely fell for it. Amazing how effective that $4 rising wand can be - at least for a kid audience.

Thanks again!
Check out my new book on our 'perceptual superpowers': www.LawrenceRosenblum.com . It discusses new research on the psychology of misdirection and the neuroplasticity behind expert motor skills.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The exact details for producing the silk (including ways to make it appear in the air instead of attached to the end of your wand) are described with photographs in "Broomstick Witchcraft" in the Dollar Store Magic Section of my site, plus a lot of other stuff you can do with that wand and other trick wands and staffs and magic brooms you can make from Dollar Store parts.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Remember that a diamond cut silk will fit better and look larger than a square silk in the wand.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Then go to a Dye Tube for a color change and come back with a square silk.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
ldrosenblum
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
103 Posts

Profile of ldrosenblum
Thanks Professor Spellbinder and Bob-

I will check out the magicnook (great site) and that's a useful point regarding the diamond cut silk (which I should buy soon anyway).

-Larry
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
336 Posts

Profile of John Breeds
Jeff and Bob prompted another idea that is little used (or known about). Try modifying a Silver Sceptre with a Silk Poke. Modify the Silk Poke so that it can clip on and off of the Silver Sceptre. If you look at the videos on the following sites it should be clear.

If you go with Bob's idea of employing a dye tube then you could set up a neat routine, for example: 1) Remove rose from wire flower holder on lapel; 2) dye tube colour change silk; 3) Silver Sceptre rising wand; 4) Silk Poke vanish silk 5) switch wand for a wobbly wand.

Silver Sceptre: http://www.practical-magic.com/index.php......temid=26

Silk Poke: http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=3667

John
ldrosenblum
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
103 Posts

Profile of ldrosenblum
What a great routine idea John!

I'm a newbie and have to admit that I don't quite know exactly what a 'silk poke' is, but I can guess (kind of like a dye tube I'm thinking). But I'll figure it out and try to put something together along the lines of what you've suggested.

I'm continually amazed at the great ideas folks share on this site.

Thanks again,

Larry
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
336 Posts

Profile of John Breeds
http://www.practical-magic.com/index.php......temid=26

Larry
There is a performance video of the Silk Poke on above link.

Actually, after re-reading your question I must confess to being a little confused. Did you want; for example, a rising wand, a flower production, a flower vanish, silk color change, silk vanish? I guess with the gimmicks the guys mentioned here you could create a nice little magic routine. Have fun!

John
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
If you use one of those little elastic bands to attach the silk to the bead then it can be easily removed by pulling the ends of the silk.

You can also use a thumbtip like a silk poke (David Williamson's whirlygig vanish).
ldrosenblum
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
103 Posts

Profile of ldrosenblum
Ah, so that's a silk poke (the photo really helps). Great idea. And it does seem that a TT will work as one if need be (thanks magicgeorge).
As to the routine, I was initially just interested in a simple technique for getting a silk to appear from the wand. But everyone's wonderful help has given me a much richer routine, which I will actually be trying out on Tuesday.

Thanks again everyone!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Silk appear using rising wand (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL