The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Living room etiquette for different cultures (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
A Birthday Magician
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of A Birthday Magician
Yes I have done shows and been asked to remove my shoes..it is totally odd to me but I do it out of respect for the host...not to do so could be classed as an insult to them.
magicone
View Profile
Veteran user
Doylestown, PA
355 Posts

Profile of magicone
Just did a party for a family that was from the Philippines. Pile of shoes at the door, no one wearing shoes at all including the guests.

Took mine off a usual and not only was the family very gracious offering food and drink but they also tipped me $50

The tip may not have been the direct result of me taking my shoes off but I'm sure it didn't hurt.
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore, MD
639 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
I really don't like eating in front of the clients and their guests. Most westerners are usually offering food out of politeness and will accept a polite decline. You/I have to learn which cultures/peoples will be taken aback if you refuse an offering of food. They might be used to it and not hold it against you, but it is easier & better to accept a small portion.

So, just like the shoes, you are a guest in their home. It is best all around to make an attempt to accommodate their customs. They will appreciate it. I am not Jewish, but will wear a hat when the party is in a temple.

-Wes Holly-
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Baltimore, MD, USA
devlinn
View Profile
Regular user
Orangeville, ON
118 Posts

Profile of devlinn
My Tux shoes are never worn outdoors.
When I arrive, I ask the host if I change my shoes and explain that I only wear them inside. I feel they "finish" my outfit.
I bought a shoe bag from a local golf outlet to store and transport them in (along with shoe trees and lint bags).

I can't imagine wearing my everyday shoes in someones home.

So far, no one has objected.
Joy Company
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Joy Company
Being an indian entertainer myself...here are my thoughts:

a) Take of your shoes, as the host will not ask you but expect you..they are sometimes relying on the non indian entertainer or even guest to comply with the cultural norms....also please note taking out of shoes has no religious connotations but is just for the sake of cleanliness. When I entertain at Indian homes, I wear colorful socks and something comfortable that can slip of easily.

b) many indian hosts find it cuturally offensive if you decline offer of food. I genrally donot like to eat at a function, so I accept a drink to satisfy the customer.

c) You would find at Indian functions that the adults have as much funas the children, so sometimes it would be great just to involve an adult or two.. this has got me many glowing comments from hosts.

finally if you make a good impression with and Indian family, you will be booked by the entire clan, so be sure to have a new repertoire as often you find many of the same guests attending.
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
I take of my shoes if requested by the client.

In regards to the food, this is a tough one, because I too hate most foreign foods. I also feel uncomfortable eating in front of the guests. In some ways, I see myself as a superhero - the magic man who can do the impossible. When the children see me doing 'normal' things, it ruins that image of me. I like to do everything possible so that the children see me as super-human.
I am also worried that the food they will give me will get knocked onto my costume and ruin it for the next show. If I do eat in costume, I often put my coat on to stop any spillage ruining it. But this isn't an option at the show.

In most circumstances, I ask that they wrap a plate up for me so that I can take it away at the end. I am always busy during my parties, even while the children are eating so I have no problem with looking out-of-place because I am always performing. There have been occasions when I've done 3 shows that day, without anything to eat and I wanted them to offer me food, but didn't. I'm also too polite to ask.

Steve
under6
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of under6
Thanks to the posters here. I had my first show where I passed a pile of shoes at the door. I felt very uncomfortable about it, but I knew what to do - I took those shoes off. I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't seen this post. BTW, I did get a tip. Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Living room etiquette for different cultures (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL