The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Requirements for stage. (Non-magic stuff) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
Oakville, Ontario, Canada!
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
It's been a while since I have performed, Ive been very busy with stuff and school. It's time to head on back in.

So, I have a bunch of money and I am going to be getting some more illusions and props but, now I am looking at what I need to make use of this money.

I would like to get some ideas on as to what would be required, or best to have when performing on stage. Keep in mind, that this is for any condition. On stage, on floor or platform. With no crew.

Meaning stuff like this:
* Black Backdrop
* Backdrop support (Such as trusses - So I can have it larger/smaller if needed, not like the Spider backdrops)
* Min. 2 moving-head lights.
* MP3 Tech/Virtual Soundman/ICue 2, etc. (One of those)
* 2 Speakers
* Wireless Microphone

Basically something to make the show look more professional and good looking. And having stuff that I must have no matter what, such as the device that will play my music.

What would I be missing, or what would you recommend to have?

*keep in mind, I don't have anything. Didn't need it before.
Thanks..
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

Email: dop-michaelfrymus@live.com
CCPCris
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
280 Posts

Profile of CCPCris
Well my best advice as far as lights is this.

1. Must have (if in a dark enviroment) at least 2 reds 2 blues and 2 white par lights. That will allow each effect to be seen, and add mood to the effects.

2. Moving headlights are not necasary, but do add a lot to a show. I would suggest getting a set that are DMX controled but that do have a sound active feature built in (just in case yo don't have the money for a DMX board, or the time, manpower, or knowladge to program. Also these types of lights usualy can be linked togehter.

3. don't cheap out on a wireless mic. I suggest a lapel mic or headset mic. But the cheaper ones may not work well. Always get a quality mic with at least a range of 200 feet. If your sound board is further back, you can always move the reciver closer to you.

You can find all these used on ebay for hundreds of dollars cheaper than you can brand new. I have purchased lots of lights and accesories on ebay, and saved tons of money.

If you have any other questions PM me.
making the unreal, real...really!
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1814 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Just so you know, the Virtual Soundman Corp. went bankrupt so you cannot get a new Virtual Soundman unit of iCue 2. MP3Tech works very well and there are several laptop-based systems available now.
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
These are the things I have and use 1 -get a spider . 2- wirless head set mike . 3- passport system I have alto 350 great portable . 4- two small decorative colour changing spot lights that gadds colour to the back drop . a goos cd player.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Look at it from a theater perspective.

1. You need a good Sound System, dependable minimal feedback, lightweight Stereo(yes/no)

2. A good Stage Setting, flats, scenery, props, background (Backdrops)

3. A good Lighting System so you can been seen.

Obviously, you need to know the script, the theme, the parts one plays before the performance.

From a Magical point, hearing you is very important. In the FX section there is a lot of reading related to sound systems from real cheap (B-Happy) to thousands of dollars. The more often you use them the more the weight factor becomes important, especially for a monologue performance.

1. Recomendations: Sound System
A: Mackie SRM 150 ($300) for a monologue, and single sound projection of good quality.
B: Fender Passport 150 ($700) Stereo sound system with mixer, reverb, 3 inouts and a aux input.
C: An Audio Tech wireless microphone system, both headset and lapel work well, have a space should one fail

2. Your costume determines the backdrop. A black backdrop in a black outfit has floating hands and head. Color is important, a blue or red Spider is nice and expensive ($1,300). A simple DJ Lighting Stand with exthended and a cloth of your choosing can be less then $100 or premade from Jeff Jones for about $600. If themed than a graphic designed spray painted backdrop works nice for library type shows, or some other theme. Scernary adds to the mood of the performance

3. Lighting:
An inexpensive spotlight Chavelt ($300) works, as well as duel Flood lights or both.

I can't help you with moving "head lights"

Just some quick thoughts. Read the FX section, research, know what you want and why or you will be spending money for stuff that will not serve you well. We know that for a fact.
Dennis Michael
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2886 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I really resisted responding to this post, but I guess I didn't resist enough.

Based totally on what you wrote in your initial post, and knowing nothing else about you, I'd say you're putting the cart before the horse. The last sentence in Dennis' post was right on the button. I went through this myself many years ago and ended up with a mess -- but was convinced I was hot stuff. I was thinking more like a roadie than like a peformer.

It's fine you're starting to think about the tech stuff, but focus on the act first, and then determine what you'll need. Especially "With no crew."

You may also want to look thru my columns here in the Café, in the Buffet section. I go into a lot of tech stuff from the theatrical standpoint. And you can't beat the price. Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
TaylorReed
View Profile
Special user
Branson, MO
743 Posts

Profile of TaylorReed
A countryman mic is the best. They now have an extra clip you can buy so it will stay on your face better. A 360 systems Instant replay #2 is the best source of music on the market.

I hope this will help you.

Taylor
www.taylorreed.com
www.usedmagicillusions.com
taylor@taylorreed.com
(979)482-0714
See: The Magic and Comedy of Taylor Reed, Live in Branson, Mo
M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
Yeah, I already have in mind which mics. speakers and lighting to get. I'm going to get everything used, if its available.

I was thinking;
*Passport 250 - Just to be safe. My audiences are large most of the time. IF there is a good deal but, if not then 150.
*(2x) American DJ X-Move [Its last on my list as I don't need it as much as the others]
*(2x) 4 LED Par64 Complete Set - Its great to have as simple lighting and its colored too.
*Mic. I forget the name, I think countryman. This I doubt I'll buy used as I am looking for something very specific.
*MP3 Tech. - I wasn't sure at first which I wanted, never looked into it, that's why I named all the ones I heard about.

Thanks for the advice and is there anything else that would be needed besides the stuff already mentioned that I am forgetting?

And I just noticed this was on Grand Illusions, meant to put in in Fx. Oh, well.
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Just for the record, 'BEST' mic is relative and an opinion. Speaking of opinions MANY would and do say that the DPA is the BEST mic out there. The dynamic range is better, it is more robust and is virtually waterproof. In fact they even recommend cleaning it with distilled water. It also goes over both ears and is rock solid. They did this long before countryman.

I base this on our experience with both countryman and DPA.

Kevin

p.s. There is no wrong answer and you can't go wrong with either one of these mics.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I bought the par 64's floods but never used them, Again thinking like you but wasted lots of money.

Also I have the MP3 and a cheap laptop with Powerpoint works well but it doesn't have that fade to quiet ability Another money savings and a computer to boot!

I like the the sound of the 150 better than the 250. The 250 speakers are all the same, the 150 has several different better quality speakers and lighter. If you need the power for DJ maybe the 250 will do.

The countryman is nice but it is expensive and very breakable. Don't lend it out to other stage performers. They will not reimburse you if they don't take care of it like you would.

If you got the money to burn, then go for your dreams, if not, then think frugal and work with what gets the job done nicely.
Dennis Michael
M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
So, is there anything OTHER than the stuff mentioned?
I am looking for requirements I would need to perform on stage. I have a feeling I am missing something but, I just don't know what it is.

So far, Ive been having detailed answers on each I listed, but nothing new, other than what I mentioned, as that was what I was looking for.
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

blackandwhiteillusions
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of blackandwhiteillusions
http://www.audiolines.com/Lighting/Fixtu......Wash-250

these look like an affordable DMX head I personally haven't used them yet. but they might work for your application.

keep in mind logistics for all of this equipment, i.e. whose moving and setting up this gear, maybe add carts/magliners to the list... cable covers etc... you'll need a van or truck of some kind to move everything.
M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
Quote:
On 2009-10-25 00:20, blackandwhiteillusions wrote:
http://www.audiolines.com/Lighting/Fixtu......Wash-250
these look like an affordable DMX head I personally haven't used them yet. but they might work for your application.

No. These are wash. I'm not using wash. For the par cans, yes. And these are $300 more expensive, each.
I already know which to get: X-moves.
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
Are 8 wash Par64's going to be enough? (4 on each side of stage)
Will it be bright enough to light a stage? Like a mid-sized stage?

Or is it best to get something like this also? (1 for each side of stage)
http://www.chauvetlighting.com/led-shadow.html

I've had a few band come to our school, and I've seen them use these lights to light the stage. But, they didn't have the Par64's. So, I don't know if this would be useful or it it would be a waste.
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

Rob Pond
View Profile
Regular user
Scott, OH
156 Posts

Profile of Rob Pond
Well I used to be a lighting design major in college, and speaking as a designer no 8 Parcans are not enough. I say that because if you are going to set up moving head lights you should at least start with a decent lighting plot. Invest in that before the moving lights and your show will look better. I would look into some ellipsoidal reflector spotlights for your general wash and since they can have hard and soft focuses, they make great specials too. They are more expensive than parcans, but in the long run you can do so much more with them. Parcans make good top and black lights, but in my opinion from a stage they lack qualities needed to make good front lighting. With the ERS you can go top of the line with Source 4 fixtures, and then later on they can have attachments added on that will turn them into moving head lights (if you have DMX capabilities of course). Plus you can fit color scollers on them which is always nice. Now each one of these lights is going to cost around $400, but they would add so much more value and give a better look to your show than adding a couple of cheap moving head lights. There are other companies such as Strand and Century that make ERS, but a good deal cheaper than S4. Also you need to consider your power consumption here. Most ERS are either 575W or 750W. with an average of 4 lights per dimmer box, each box is going to have to be ran to its own circuit or you will trip most breakers. I would recommend taking a light class or helping out at your local theatre in the lighting before you purchase any equipment or you will end up wasting money on equipment that isn't what you really want.
Hope this helps with your questions,
Rob Pond
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I di dnot understand most of what rob just said there but I can tell you that I disagree that 8 parcans will and can light a nice stage I just did it last saturday.

my stage area was 12'x16' and there was more than enough light.

now I have been using an 8 can light show for all my smaller shows and it always works great. for larger shows I use the theatre lights and if I need more for other shows I rent as I rather not carry lights.

anyway the point is that 2 trees with 4 par64's will do a great job./ get 2 dimmer paks and a light control board and your set. if I am doing a solo show I use a foot control board at hte front of thestage.

I can also recommend the fender passport 250 as I great sound system I own both the 250 and 2 of the 150's love th em. I also carry a major sound system for my grand illusion show but for smaller banquets of 150-300 people the 250 is more then enough.

I will agree with others that you need to give us some more info like what ilusions you will be doing etc. on a side note I never liked and never will the Garth Brook look for magicians -headphone mics that is!
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
mws7020
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of mws7020
My advice to you is to stay away from American DJ equipment. Although its cheeper, their equipment is made poorly. In my personal opinion, you don't necessarily need motion lights. Yes, they look very cool, but they are very difficult to program and very expensive. I purchased two used motion lights for $1200 a piece (I work in theatre). To get they perfectly programmed for a show (play or musical), it usually takes me about 15 hours total of programming. When I do use them in my magic show, I have the cues in the board saved, so I don't have to reprogram every time. I suggest you do your homework on Intelligent Lighting, before you make a large purchase like that.
afun14u
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
250 Posts

Profile of afun14u
WOW! M.Frymus, do you have a www site I would like to know your show better? PM me, I would like to get to know you a bit before any kind of recommendations...
Empowering Kingdom Growth through Evangelistic Entertainment!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7389 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I am going to add some things in here. All of the advice has been good. It is hard to recommend anything without knowing what your show consists of or where you want to go with it. But here are a couple very important points.

If you are working without a crew, how are you going to transport this stuff. Is this going to be a truck with a lift gate or ramp? What size truck or do you just need a trailer? How much time do you want to spend setting up your aux. equipment before even getting the magic set? Do you risk injury (and possible show cancellation) in doing all this extra stuff.

Think about case with good casters. They should be easy to pack and load. Tie down straps for the equipment in the truck are a must. You might as well make a good prop box to repair stuff on the road. One for the props with hardware, tools (drills, rivet guns, etc.) and another one for technical rigging for the electric and staging. This could include cords, power winches, lighting gels.

There is so much that could be answered here but I think you need to give us more of an idea of what kind of show you are doing. Is this a Copperfield production with a cast of 15 and a production crew of 25 plus union help? Or you a one man operation looking for something that adds without killing yourself.

I commend you for trying to upgrade your show. There are many ways to do this.
But as Dennis said, it is easy to waste your money. We have all done it.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
M.Frymus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of M.Frymus
OK thanks guys.
MICHAEL FRYMUS
Director of Photography

Filmming worldwide

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Requirements for stage. (Non-magic stuff) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.42 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL