The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Cups and balls becomes card and coins? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

streetcoin
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of streetcoin
A little while ago I was looking at some great routines on youtube.
Then I saw dai vernon's version of cups and balls.
after some playing with some coins and cards I found out that its relative easy to port it to coin magic. I have a routine (which could be perfected) but I just wanted to know what you are thinking of that idea. my routine works with a gold, copper, silver coin that are travelling from card to card and are doing funny things.
the beginning and the end is clean.

Am I the first trying to do this?
I've never seen someone doing it.
its a great opener and you could easily start a matrix and some transpositions.
markmage
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of markmage
How about a video?
streetcoin
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of streetcoin
Quote:
On 2009-10-24 09:55, markmage wrote:
How about a video?

I don't really like performing before a camera.
I know it sounds silly but if you want to get an idea how it is performed you can send me a pm and I will send you how I do it.

but actually I want your opinion about the idea Smile
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi streetcoin,
Ray Mertz Had a routine use 3 Jumbo cards And 3 Halfs! and he did a cups & balls routine with them! I think it was in one of the Close-up Cavalcade books! Sorry I can't remember the one it was in! Smile I can't find that book right now! If any has those books ( there where 3 of them) maybe thay can Help! Or you can ask Jerry Mentzer at Magic Methods! He put out the books! ( I think he is on line!)Ok hope this helps!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
streetcoin
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of streetcoin
Thanks, I will google a bit about his routine.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The question is fine and in a way reflects this last generation or so where specialization seems to occur before mastery of the basics.

YES FOLKS HAVE EXPLORED IT - as the cups is a much older trick and the coin assembly trick and the item in Bobo's pretty much is a subset of a cups routine if you look.

There's a really good reason or three to look at porting the cups and balls to coins and cards as degenerate, inbred and counterproductive. The working performer will likely not even need to consider this question as their intuition gained from experience will guide them away from such teacup miniatures when what they need to get by are robust service dogs.

Let's see, mat, cardcase, talon, coinbox... lot o stuff to get the trick moving that way when you could take out ... nope not gonna tip that yet. Anyway, most simply: why clutter your table with minuscule, contrived and vain attempts to be clever when the classic item is to scale, requires less setup and you have much more in terms of literature and ready made props to help you?

IMHO the coin assembly plot does okay with coins and covers. Adding some transpositions using an odd coin and some changes later to odd and jumbo coins for a finish ... can be done but ... why? From there it's really about your working venue and setup/reset considerations. Look at what Tommy Wonder did when performing for example Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Take a look at Gary Kurtz Trio in 3.

Shawn
Shawn.
streetcoin
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of streetcoin
Quote:
YES FOLKS HAVE EXPLORED IT - as the cups is a much older trick and the coin assembly trick and the item in Bobo's pretty much is a subset of a cups routine if you look.

Never looked at it that way, interesting.

why would you do that?
answer: simple, to continue doing my coin work.
I really like coin magic and its the way I want to go to. when performing it with cups it looks strange if you continue with coins.
lets say you perform it the way I want it, do after it a card matrix (your pretty much set for this) and than a final transposition, you have a great coin routine don't you?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Did you find "that" routine in Bobo's? Uses three cards and some of the cups routine structure. It's been there since the 1960s waiting for you -

Please do take folks up on ellipses of that kind when you get them. They are put there so you know there's a thing ready waiting for you to find a thing and enjoy the discovery.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jeffrey Cowan
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
130 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Cowan
Consider also that "cards and coins" tricks play small because the focus is so low on the table. Cups and balls play larger. . .
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
Funsway (Ken) has a ebook just on this concept. Pm him. I wish I could remember the name of the ebook.....rrrrrr sorry about that.
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I won't release it without photos and maybe video,
but am happy to chat with anyone about two dimentional representations of
Cup & Ball themes
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
ray raymond
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of ray raymond
In a lot of ways it is the same effect as a matrix routine with cards coins travel from card to card.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Cups and balls becomes card and coins? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL