The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » TT disguising (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rockthemike
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
695 Posts

Profile of rockthemike
Hi guys,

I have a TT for a certain effect I'm doing. How do you guys make your TT match your skin? Paint? Makeup? It's a Vernet soft BTW.

Thanks!
Michael

PS
I tried searching, but didn't find anything that really addressed the issue.
Michael Wong
Wizard
http://michaelwong.says.so
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
This is going to sound harsh but... you don't. You learn to handle a TT so that it isn't seen. Back in the early 1990's there was an African American magician who was one of the street performers at Pike Place Market. He did the vanishing silk as part of his set, using the same TT we all bought from Market Magic.

The great Scottish magician John Ramsay used to teach a routine in his lectures that used a TT. After performing the effect he'd ask if anyone had seen it, and then would hold it up to show them... it was painted GREEN.

The basics:
1. Don't poke things into your hand with your thumb.
2. Practice in front of a mirror, making sure the TT is naturally hidden behind the rest of your hand, or an object.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I remember someone years back fooling us with a chrome plated TT.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
rockthemike
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
695 Posts

Profile of rockthemike
Alright, that's fair enough. Yeah, I think I just read one of your posts, Duncan, in another thread. I just did two performances of Gaetan Bloom's Flying Ring and nobody noticed the TT (and the reactions were incredible BTW Smile). I was just thinking of disguising it as a precaution. Cool! Thanks guys.
Michael Wong
Wizard
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Actually, if you feel better painting it to match your flesh color, fine, go for it. Go to an art store and ask for some acrylic paints you can use to mix together to get the desired tone. Ask someone to help you make the selection. You may need to spray it with dull clear coat after you paint it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
I think that was Harry Lorayne that used the chrome TT but I could be wrong.

-Ron
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
For me the TTs available to me were also off-colour, but what really put me off buying them was the size. I couldn't fit my thumb in there if my life depended on it. If the audience didn't notice the color, they'd sure notice my thumb changing in size during the routine.

Do thumbtips come in a one-size-fits-all size?
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
I'm pretty sure that it was Roy Benson who used three slightly different shades of "flesh" colored paint on his TT. Very few things are completely monochromatic.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2009-10-27 05:07, MacGyverMagic wrote:
For me the TTs available to me were also off-colour, but what really put me off buying them was the size. I couldn't fit my thumb in there if my life depended on it. If the audience didn't notice the color, they'd sure notice my thumb changing in size during the routine.

Do thumbtips come in a one-size-fits-all size?

They do make a king size thumb tip.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
Often a fingertip is more deceptive than a TT.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Gary Darwin made the point that while you could probably fool the majority of the crowd using a bright red thumbtip, it wasn't a good idea. That said, proper technique with a TT should ensure that people don't get a good look at it except from head-on (or, at worst, strongly camouflaged amongst the rest of the fingers), at which point you just need something that's dull (ie: not super-reflective) and approximates your skin colour.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
548 Posts

Profile of travisb
I think that the key advantage of a TT versus, say, palming an object, is that you CAN show it and people don't see anything. You can flash your hand empty in a natural way. This would be difficult with a chrome TT. Sure, they should see the TT as little as possible, but being able to give a brief flash of an "empty" hand is what makes the TT so powerful, in my opinion.

The good news is that it doesn't have to match your skin super well, and painting it is overkill. Besides, once the paint starts to chip you'll have a TT that's actually more noticeable than before (I've seen this happen).

Guilt will bust you before the colour of the TT will.

-Travis
rockthemike
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
695 Posts

Profile of rockthemike
Thank you all for your replies. I've taken all your advice into account. Once again, this is for Gaetan's Flying Ring Routine, which utilizes a special TT. I only felt like some disguising should may be necessary because I feel like my hands are under some serious fire when I make the ring vanish under a hanky or anything. I'm thinking that spectators would automatically look to see if I put the ring on my finger or something. I may just be looking at it with magician eyes, though.
Michael Wong
Wizard
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I perform that as well. You really don't need camouflage, just be confident! Of course you need to stick to some basic rules of blocking but the TT will be essentially invisible to your audience. Like Travis pointed out, guilt will bust you first.

Of course you can color yours if you like.

As a side note, I think the green and red and chrome TTs are pointless...nothing more than bragging with "superior" skill-for magicians, as there is no need for that with a layman audience. Like pointed out, the strenght of a TT is the ability to show-even if briefly-your hands empty.
Sent from my Typewriter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » TT disguising (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL