The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Pitch Venues for a newbie. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Beach
View Profile
Veteran user
Nashville, TN
304 Posts

Profile of Bill Beach
Jeff - I e-mailed you - Bill
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
Thanks Bill.

Hey all, what's the etiquette for talking wholesale prices on the forum? I don't know if it'd be a good idea, but I definitely want to have the conversation.
Jeff Wright
www.WrightEntertainment.biz
Voted Best Party Entertainer in Cleveland, Nickelodeon Parents' Picks Awards
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I don't think its a good idea to talk wholesale prices in an open fourm.

Don
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
Didn't think so. Just trying to weigh the pros and cons of the different deck suppliers.
Jeff Wright
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
If you are ordering a lot of product, you may want to go with the wholesaler that's closest to you for speedy service and savings on shipping charges. Magic City and Murphy's are on the West Coast, Fun, Inc. is in Chicago, and D. Robbins is in New Jersey. Ideally, if you run out of something over the weekend, you need to know that if you pick up the phone on Monday morning, your order will be at your door before the following weekend. If I order on-line from Robbins on Monday, the box is on my front porch Wednesday afternoon, without fail. That's important.

Also consider that most folks carry some other companies' stuff. For example, Robbins also carries the "Royal Magic" Svengali Decks made by Fun, Inc. I like those decks, but I get other stuff exclusively from Robbins, so that's who I use for the bulk of my orders. Price is important, but it's not the only consideration. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
I'm considering Fun over Loftus. I think Fun has the edge on proximity and price.

In other news: I have my first venue. I will put about 12 hours in at a 100+ exhibitor Christmas craft fair at a big Catholic church in downtown Akron on the 14th and 15th of November. I just got my worms and Don's DVD today. Still need to order my decks. Wish me luck!!
Jeff Wright
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
Fun inc also sells the worms as well as the decks and double facers for the two card monte effect.
sescarny
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of sescarny
Break A Leg and G.T.F.M.!!!! Let us know how it goes. Just remember, practice and then practice more, but above all, be yourself. people won't buy from someone who is obviously fake. Have fun!!!

Ses
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Jeff,
The two most important things to remember.

1- Move the tip up close.

2- Ask for money.

Later,Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Best of luck to you, and please let us know how it goes! SETH
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
You guys rock. Thanks for all the support.

I am correct to assume that the Loftus SV-0001 Svengali Deck is a viable "worker?" Or do I need to pick up a different deck to sell these ones?
Jeff Wright
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
They are workers

Don
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
Thought so. Thanks Don.
Jeff Wright
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I saw a sample Loftus deck a while ago and was very impressed with it, especially for the price. Good instructions, too, which helps to prevent walkbacks. SETH
Picard_1114
View Profile
New user
New York
76 Posts

Profile of Picard_1114
Don,

I was wondering about the worm.

Seth talks a lot about using IT for it even though there is a lot of breakage.

I was under the impression that a grafter would just use fishing line, or at best the thread that comes attached to the squirmle in the blister packs. I wouldn't think a real grafter would have time for all the fiddling with IT. It's not really a magic show -- its pitching.

Am I wrong?
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Picard_1114,
Yep you sure are.I have learned a lot myself about the squirmle and how to best pitch it in the last few years.They wern't around when I was out pitching the Svengali deck everyday for all thoses years.Only the magic mouse was a pitch item.I never liked the mouse because all you could get for one was .50 cents at the time.(thats retail,remember this was the early 70's)

You really need to use IT with the squirmle to pitch it.I just worked the New York state fair and every night Alex would tie up about 15 for the next day.(I'm too old and blind to do it)keep them in a single layer fishing tackle box with all the square compartments.

If the marks figure out how it works they won't buy it.

Later,Don
Bill Beach
View Profile
Veteran user
Nashville, TN
304 Posts

Profile of Bill Beach
Jeff,

When we get together, if you'd like, I can show you an alternative hook-up I've started using for the Squirmle. It's worked well for me the past few times I've been out pitching.

Remember, also, the type of shirt you wear is also important. It serves as the background. Seth has some wise thoughts on the subject here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=192
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
I'm always willing to learn Bill. Thanks for offering your wisdom.

I used to mess around with IT levitation and definitely appreciate the need for a "loud" shirt.
Jeff Wright
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2009-10-30 Picard_1114 wrote: Seth talks a lot about using IT for it even though there is a lot of breakage.

There is some breakage, but in my opinion it is unavoidable and it's not that big of a deal. If you are pitching and demoing the worm for 6-8 hours straight, sooner or later it is going to get tangled up, wear out, or you will reach for something when you shouldn't, etc.

Some shows I have gotten through on just 2 worms, others I may need half a dozen or more. I have better luck at inside shows, where there's no wind and it's not hot (moist hands create friction and drag). I did six hours at a flea today and went through three worms --- not too shabby. Once you get the knack of working with IT, you should be able to tie a worm in 2-3 minutes, so we're not talking about a big investment of time here.

Even though it's sometimes a pain in the neck to use IT, I feel the benefits definitely outweigh the extra work. With a 2-foot wide pitch table, the specs cannot see a thing, and if you work your lighting well, there won't be any reflections off the IT either. I have found the Kevlar IT to be the most durable and useful, even if it is very slightly shinier than regular IT. It's about 20% stronger than plain nylon and thus well worth it for worm workers, in my experience.

Like Don says, get a $3 plastic fishing tackle box at KMart and pre-tie 6 or 8 worms, so you will be set for whatever happens. I use a paper clip for the anchor to my shirt, and I store the worms in the compartments clip first, then the IT, then the worm on top. This helps to prevent the IT from getting tangled in the worm, or in another worm's IT. SETH
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2009-10-30 Jestnjoker wrote: I am correct to assume that the Loftus SV-0001 Svengali Deck is a viable "worker?" Or do I need to pick up a different deck to sell these ones?

I was confused when I read this, because I always thought a "worker" was carny slang for a trick that is different or set up differently than what is being sold. For example, a Squirmle tied with IT is a "worker," because it is not the same setup used in the packaged Squirmles. And if you were using a Bicycle Svengali Deck as a demo to sell those cheesy Chinese knockoff Svengali Decks (sold as "1847 Decks"), that would be a worker, too.

But if you are demoing the same thing you're selling, that's not a worker, at least as far as I understand the term. Don, can you chime in on this? SETH

P.S. Although I don't generally support using "workers," I have no problem demoing the Squirmle with IT. That's because in the instruction sheet I give out, I explain that "the gimmick supplied with the worm is mostly just for practice. Once you understand the handling and get the hang of doing the moves, you can replace it with a very fine black thread if you like." But I would guess that most kids are satisfied with the original gimmick anyway, and never bother to change it anyhow. SETH
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Pitch Venues for a newbie. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL