The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Finger/stage manipulation Mikame Mirror (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I feel sort of silly posting this, because I really ought to be more creative, but I have a beautiful prop that I have come to a dead end with, in trying to write a presentation.

I recently acquired the Mikame Craft version of the flexible/penetrated mirror effect as part of a box of several other items that I really wanted, so I wasn't specifically interested in the mirror effect, but since getting it I have started to play around with it, intrigued with the cleverness of the prop, (it is beautifully made) but unable to really come up with a routine or a
"reason" for the thing. The bare bones presentation given in the instructions doesn't amount to much more than a puzzle:

A mirror in a wooden frame is placed inside a cloth bag and is penetrated in several places with a long needle, then the mirror is bent in half. Finally, the mirror is removed from the bag and shown to be unharmed.

A neat puzzle, but that's all. I recall Doug Hennings handling was one of his "what is real, what is illusion?" presentations, but that doesn't really suit me (worked fine for Henning, but not for me)

Does anyone have any ideas on presenting this effect to take it out of the puzzle catagory?
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Dai,
You might consider a Harry Potter-type routine, with the mirror acting as the "Mirror of Erised".
Or an Alice (in Wonderland) Through the Looking Glass theme, where "things are never what they seem to be."
Or a Houdini seance theme, where the master showman's spirit still manages to penetrate a mirror, even though he's been dead for 76 years!
Those are just off the top of my head and should get you started.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
How about a Matrix type patter of how, "It's not the mirror that bends but YOU'... (the spec)

Works better with a spoon-bending effect I know, but you could try it here, IMO...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Thank you Peter and Pakar!

I've been having an exceptionally non-creative streak recently. Those are excellent ideas. Thank you for your generosity in sharing them.

I had already been mulling over an Alice Through the Looking Glass idea, but I think the current Harry Potter or Matrix theme would resonate better with most audiences.
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Vxj,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
Dai I once used the mirror in my phantom of the opera act I pushed a rose and a burning candle through it.

Vibono Magic
Sweden
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Glad to be of some help! Tell us how it plays ok?

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Finger/stage manipulation Mikame Mirror (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL