The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » New book on the Steel Pier is out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I usually post in the "Step Right Up" section, but figured this info might be of interest to folks over here as well.

For those old enough to remember the Steel Pier in Atlantic City, there is a WONDERFUL new book just out called "STEEL PIER: THE SHOWPLACE OF THE NATION." This hardcover 264-page book is available for $40 from Down the Shore Publishing, and is worth every penny. Click HERE for more info.

The Steel Pier was the equivalent of Disneyland, 30 years before Disneyland was built. It had three movie theaters, two vaudeville theaters, a gigantic Marine Ballroom, a Water Circus, six funhouses, a Diving Bell, two dark rides (one ride-thru and one walk-thru), exhiibits sponsored by General Motors and General Electric, the Dancing Waters, and the world-famous High Diving Horse.

The owner, George Hamid, came from a family of circus acrobats, and he always hired plenty of circus acts (Hugo Zacchini, etc.) and lots of amazing concessions, including a Svengali Pitch, a great code (mindreading) act, Dancing Chickens, a glassblower who made weather swans (barometers), fortune-telling parakeets, a Seal Zoo and I forget what else.

It was an amazing place and this is an amazing book. Don't miss it. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Right up my alley! So many good memories! Wonder if the Monkey Jungle is in there. Thanks Seth...def on my list!
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
The Steel Pier, right up your alloy?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Martin_Ling
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of Martin_Ling
My Grandfather and his little sister used to dance the shows on the Steel Pier. Id love to know if there are any mention or images of them. Will definetly purchasing a copy. TY
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Quote:
On 2009-10-26 11:57, Harley Newman wrote:
The Steel Pier, right up your alloy?

Harley, that pun is a bit rusty.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Back in the 70's the National Lampoon published a 'Miracle Monopoly Cheating Kit*' that included a property card for Steel Pier. It was the same color as Broadway and Park Place, so it more than doubled the rents on that monopoly.

*I own not one, but TWO copies. Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2009-10-26 11:55, Doug Higley wrote: Right up my alley! So many good memories! Wonder if the Monkey Jungle is in there. Thanks Seth...def on my list!

Hey Doug, your memory is better than mine, I forgot about the Monkey Jungle on the Pier . . . also the House of the Future . . . and Crazyville, a great walkthru.

I also wish I could remember the name of the couple that did the code act; I'll think of it eventually. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » New book on the Steel Pier is out (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL