The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope Beginner Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DreamofAces
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of DreamofAces
Hello Everybody,

I've just purchased Fiber Optics by Richard Sanders along with 50 ft of magician`s rope. Upon poppin' the DVD in my DVD player I soon realized that there wasn`t a rope magic 101 chapiter on the DVD.

The main question I had at the present time is: Do you fellow magicians prepare the ends of the rope somehow to stop the from fraying? IE: glue, sew, burn etc... I figure you don`t burn it because looking at Richard`s rope on the film I can see it isn`t burned or at least I believe it isn`t. I've googled the subject but I get too much online magic shops, all I want is the method to finish the ends if any.

Any other usefull suggestions you could give to a beginner in rope magic will be appreciated.

Cheers,

G
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
256 Posts

Profile of murf
There are several popular ways to prepare the ends, with the choice depending mostly on personal preference. You can dip the end in white glue (like Elmers) and work the glue in with your fingers to get a hard end --- this can be useful in some routines for finding or griping the end of the rope. Or you can fray the ends just a bit, then use Fray Check <http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2864&PRODID=prd2992> to keep them from fraying any more --- this leaves the ends looking more like a "normal" piece of rope. I'm sure you'll get lost of other suggestions! Like I said --- personal preference.

Murf
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I like to sew the ends. you can either leave the ends frayed or turn the ends in and stuff them into the center of the rope. If you prefer the blunt end look it helps to core the last bit of the rope (or all of it if you like a more supple rope) to make room for the turned in ends of the rope. Just sew back and forth through the end of the rope about 10 times working your way around the rope. Catch the turned in ends in your stitch. Remember to tie a knot in the end of the thread before starting and tie a knot when you're done. Match the thread color carefully. Take your rope to the fabric supply store,
This has the advantage of being washable. This can also be a good method of making a rope clot for retaining the ends of the rope as it slides through your hand or making a subtle "by feel" marker to tell you where you are on the rope. This may not make sense right now but as you pursue rope magic it will become clear.
By the way never wash your rope before a big show. Cotton rope shrinks and must be broken in again after washing especially if you use a dryer. Breaking in a new or washed rope can take about two weeks. Make two ropes to trade off.
-Mary Mowder
dbaronian
View Profile
Regular user
Northridge, CA
198 Posts

Profile of dbaronian
Or you can just buy rope in bulk from http://www.BaronianTrading.com
BaronianTrading.com...your #1 source for magicians' rope.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1305 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I use a cocktail stick to tuck the ends in.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2070 Posts

Profile of yachanin
I usually dip mine in Elmer's white glue (for cotton rope). I "whip" the ends (see a Boy Scott Handbook) for nylon rope.

Regards, Steve
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day G
My preference is to sew the ends and I have about 6 sets so that I don't need to worry about the down time when washing them. I find that the shortest piece gets dirty quicker than the others. I spray it with pre-wash spray before a session in the machine with the other whites.

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
DreamofAces
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of DreamofAces
Everybody,

Thank you very much for all of your replies I can see there are just about as much different ways to treat the end of the rope as there are magicians I guess I will expirement with your different techniques and adopt one for myself.

Cheers,

G
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I forgot to mention that I pre-wash (shrink) my ropes before I make them and I use Oxi-Clean which makes regular cotton magician's rope more white. I match my thread color to the rope after it is pre-washed.
-Mary Mowder
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I sometimes use Scotch(tm) Magic Tape (frosty on the roll, invisible on the job) wrapped around the ends of the ropes for The Professor's Nightmare.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Ms. Merizing
View Profile
Loyal user
Edwin Carl Erwin is digging postholes for
232 Posts

Profile of Ms. Merizing
Here's a link to several methods of whipping the ends of a rope: http://www.ropeworks.biz/reader/whipping.pdf. The text is clear & for those of us keen on visual learning, great illustrations.
Pleased to continue finding that all the world's a stage.
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Take the period off the end of the web page address above and it will work.

Best
Leo Jr
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I don't think I have ever
used the same rope twice for any rope effect except
linking ropes. Even for PN, I cut a fresh piece, do the trick and give out the scraps.
Ya'll a bunch of frugal magi's.
--------
Now, maybe for fiber optics, if I am unsure of myself. But a fresh piece of rope cut before the show is sufficient.
If you use good magician's rope, the ends will hold up for any single performance of any effect.
The pdf link for whipping rope is not for magicians rope, it is for walmart grade bailing twine. Okay for roping cattle.
Spray em, wash em, sew em, glue em? No wonder rope dealers are going broke. And no real magician uses nylon. Use cotton casing over cotton core, or hollow core. Rope is expendable, use it up, don't re-use it. I use 15-20 feet per show, and leave it with the spectator or on the floor.
Now, if you must contain the rope tips, a dip in elmer's glue is fine, or I do like the tuck and glue method. But, cotton rope is like a tissue, it retains germs, dirt and whatever is on your spectators hands. Throw it out and you won't get swine flu.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dear magicians,

You bet I'm cheap but I prefer to think I'm recycling. Also my spectator only touches the rope briefly if at all and they seem a clean lot in general. As I said the Rope is washable. I have cotton towels but I don't throw them out after each use.

In fact if a Rope Trick is cutting up a lot of rope I'm not going to be doing it. To each his own.

-Mary Mowder
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-11-21 15:06, Mary Mowder wrote:
Dear magicians,

You bet I'm cheap but I prefer to think I'm recycling. Also my spectator only touches the rope briefly if at all and they seem a clean lot in general. As I said the Rope is washable. I have cotton towels but I don't throw them out after each use.

In fact if a Rope Trick is cutting up a lot of rope I'm not going to be doing it. To each his own.

-Mary Mowder

Just curious Mary, do you do clown shows or just magic? Clowns are allowed to re-use their rope. If you do walk-around magic, that type of venue is good to re-use the rope due to the nature of that act. But even then, at the end of the show, at .10 a foot, vrs wasting water? Its greener to keep the used rope for a tie-down.
I use the scraps after c&r for a kids routine.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I don't clown. I do Parlor sized Stand-Up, Walk-around Close-Up indoors and Table-to-Table Close-Up. I'm doing Knots and such and Ring and Rope. I do most of my Rope work in a Stand-Up venue. I'm the one touching the Rope most of the time and I don't wash it too often. Just enough by my reckoning. When I do I put it in with other wash.

A lot of my Rope work is of a juggling nature and I don't like the length/weight to change much. It makes the knacky throws easier when I know my Rope. Besides I actually grow fond of my Magic tools (I know its odd but I do). I find it comforting to have items I know with me. Just my preference.

-Mary Mowder
Ms. Merizing
View Profile
Loyal user
Edwin Carl Erwin is digging postholes for
232 Posts

Profile of Ms. Merizing
Thanks for catching the period(.)that included itself at the end of the web address. My apologies to those that clicked on the link as typed in error. I had intended to end the sentence with the period, not make that punctuation part of the link. Nothing like making an embarrassing typo on one's first post.

I'll repost the link for those that may find useful the whipping methods shown, which are applicable to the end of any type rope: http://www.ropeworks.biz/reader/whipping.pdf
Yes, even rope used by magicians.
Pleased to continue finding that all the world's a stage.
AngeloR
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of AngeloR
Ms. Merizing:
Thanks for the link. The accompanying illustrations are excellent! In the past, I have tried to "whip" rope ends from written instructions having no pictures. Aarrgh! What a nightmare. Smile

The illustrations with this link are just the ticket for a visual learner such as myself.
Regards,
Angelo
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Right on Ian. Rope definitely gets funky fast.

Fresh rope. That's my New Years resolution.
Might even quit re using the balloons too.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope Beginner Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL