The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Regular Tally-Hos or Regular Bikes? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Pedro Haluch
View Profile
New user
I definetely should have more than
62 Posts

Profile of Pedro Haluch
Quote:
On 2009-10-26 22:24, motown wrote:
Pedro,

Is there a reason you don't want to use gaffes cards?
Just wondering why.

There are so many great card tricks that couldn't be acheived with out so type of gaffed card.

I know there are.
It's just my style of magic I guess. There's NOTHING more rewarding to me than being able to hand out a deck of cards at any moment the spectator asks for it. I've made people cry and scream, scared of a simple three card monte routine. So, I'm used to not use gaffs. But that doesn't mean I don't. I have those Ellusionist bicycle gaff decks, which have outstanding gaff cards, and also use blank faced or double backers cards (or even the entire deck), to perform some tricks. But, my point is, if all this props vanished magically from my shelf, I wouldn't be in a huge trouble.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
I agree, work on the patter and the type of cards shouldn't matter but hey all the best craftsmen use inferior tools, artists paint with lesser quality paints and brushes, racecar drivers prefer the cheaper brakes.

Why bother paying the extra money? Wait a second.... It is CHEAPER for me to use HIGH quality premium cards (tally ho, bees, etc.) than it is for you using Bikes? How is this possible?

I buy in bulk. My cost per deck is under 2 dollars. I can use out a deck in a single performance. Which means quality is of paramount importance. You go to a gig with yellow gross sticky cards. I invest in my tools and often give them away, it makes a lasting impression. Don't believe me? Ask a local politician who's son still cherishes the deck with "the spots that come off".

He's been in touch a number of times and never fails to mention his son and those cards.

Enjoy your bikes...

J
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-10-27 13:55, Jay Mahon wrote:
I agree, work on the patter and the type of cards shouldn't matter but hey all the best craftsmen use inferior tools, artists paint with lesser quality paints and brushes, racecar drivers prefer the cheaper brakes.

Why bother paying the extra money? Wait a second.... It is CHEAPER for me to use HIGH quality premium cards (tally ho, bees, etc.) than it is for you using Bikes? How is this possible?

I buy in bulk. My cost per deck is under 2 dollars. I can use out a deck in a single performance. Which means quality is of paramount importance. You go to a gig with yellow gross sticky cards. I invest in my tools and often give them away, it makes a lasting impression. Don't believe me? Ask a local politician who's son still cherishes the deck with "the spots that come off".

He's been in touch a number of times and never fails to mention his son and those cards.

Enjoy your bikes...

J

Good point, but that gaff can be made with any card stock. Not just Tally-Hos...
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
domno
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of domno
I was accused of using trick decks when I had bought some of the E decks in the past. I have had no such accusations since I started using tally's. I think that the cards being black or white was the biggest issue for me. Out side of a few frequent card players I have met, most people don't even notice that they are not bikes.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
I think it is safe to say that ellusionist cards attract suspicion. They are full of flash and are designed to be eye catching.

It's expected.

J
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-10-27 14:28, Jay Mahon wrote:
I think it is safe to say that ellusionist cards attract suspicion. They are full of flash and are designed to be eye catching.

It's expected.

J

I like collecting playing cards, so I usually pick up most new decks. I know they're probably not going to be worth anything in the future, but it's just a fun thing to do.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
I have a first edition/printing of the black tigers, with the god awful stench and all somewhere. I'm assuming those might fetch a decent price one day.

Who knows...

J
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
International Magic in London sell packets of the basic Tally Ho gaffs in circle and fan back. There's four of each d/b's: r/r, b/b, r/b, and blank faces r & b. About £8.00 the set. I've found that all I need.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
I was sitting at one of the impromptu performing tables at the Magic Castle last week with three other members (one of whom is recognized as a first-class card guy) who were doing a bit of sessioning. Each had a deck of cards in his hands: one had a deck of regular blue Bikes; one had a deck of red Bike fan backs; and one had a deck of red Tally-Ho circle backs.

The moral of this little story: to each his own.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
I have never seen Tally Hos' in any store . Are they common anywhere or can they only be purchased online?
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
domno
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of domno
Quote:
On 2009-10-29 02:23, manal wrote:
I have never seen Tally Hos' in any store . Are they common anywhere or can they only be purchased online?

http://www.batteriesandbutter.com/page/bb/CTGY/playcards

cheapest tally's I have found online
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
I've yet to try Tally-ho's, don't believe I've ever seen them in my area. What would be the best to get (Only one's I know of are the one's E sells) I'm partial to black decks, but does the color fade off these like the black tiger/ghost/master decks?

Brandon Juhnke
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Theory11 has fan and circle back Tally Ho decks for sale that start at $2.05 a deck.The more you buy...the price goes down.

http://www.theory11.com/playingcards

I used to see them in drug stores, but only Bee cards are there now.
~Joe
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
I'm more bike performer

but... I had one tally ho that´s had around 2 years!!! and I can still do decents fans with it,rather to my old bikes that in 3-4 months looks like garbage
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
2 years????? WOW, I don't think I have packs over 2 weeks old!
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Tally's are remarkable for how long they last.

Any pro moving away from bikes reluctantly would do well to move to Tally's.

J
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
I'm no pro, but it would be worth the money to get a more reseliant deck to practice with.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
If you don't mind dropping the cash, Kardwell is fantastic for that.

J
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
The Walgreen's STUD decks faro and fan beautifully and the decks last a long time.

If you made your own gaffs ( Martini's Lickety Split booklet teaches you ) you'd be set.
~Joe
J3
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
165 Posts

Profile of J3
I like the Walgreen studs too, they really faro well. Tally ho fan back are my other favorite
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Regular Tally-Hos or Regular Bikes? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL