The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Stripper decks ftw! and other fantastic props (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Hello everybody, I'm new to the serious practice of magic and to this forum. I have some new toys to play with (it was my birthday recently)!

Well I couldn't resist some noobish dinner-party stunts with my new, full-of-win stripper deck Smile I asked a young lady to shuffle the cards, and nearly choked on my drink when she riffled them. But she kept the right alignment, bless her! I learnt a valuable lesson about equanimity - I kept my cool as she riffled, though inside I was like 'OMG!' - it all happened so fast - and I got a great reaction for my subsequent production of a perfect bridge hand...

I have also, amongst other great things, the Invisible Deck, which, I agree with many of the posters I have read here, would be ideal as an ultimate 'out'. Having one stashed away would be really nice insurance for some more seat-of-the-pants card trick, if you see what I mean. In fact the gimmick of the deck is food for thought, like a lot of good effects. I need to get me some of the, er, active ingredient which I'm sure you all know of.

And I've taken to wearing my tt while out and about taking care of my daily business. No one ever notices, of course. I frequently walk about with coins palmed as well, for the practice.

So thanks to all you knowledgeable and insightful folks, for your wisdom concerning technicality, presentation, psychology, structure, etc. I've been lurking for this past month or so and soaking up the knowledge.

My next acquisition will be some kind of entry-level gaffed blindfold I think. I thought that if one actually closes one's eyes for the first five minutes of a blindfold routine, and genuinely stumbles and fumbles about, then all the right unconscious signals are sent to the audience, and it should be very convincing. More than likely this is common knowledge and nothing new to all of you who are blindfold practitioners. Kind of like getting a prediction or two wrong when using a marked deck... messing it up a bit for deceptive purposes.
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
313 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Hi Futurist,

I am in about the same boat as you. I have some of the recommended books on magic basics and while I work my way through them I couldn't resist buying a few gaff tricks. I really like the gaffs but can't wait to get better at being able to work well with a straight deck. I've been walking around with coins as well even though I don't really intend to get into coin magic.

The gaff cards are fun but still feel a bit lame as you can never let people examine the cards.
jhudsy
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of jhudsy
I'm in a similar position, having purchased, in some mad frenzy, an invisible deck, Svengali deck and stripper deck. While I've used the invisible deck as an out, I feel uncomfortable using the other two decks; they both feel too gimmicky, I haven't come across any mind blowing tricks with them yet (though maybe I should read more before saying that; the tricks that came with the insert were just meh...), and I really don't like walking around with too many decks on me. So I guess that leads to a general question: how many decks do you typically go out and about with?
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Hi Tiggod and Jhudsy. Yeah, I am thinking I could do some great, albeit amateur magic for friends and family with the overhead of a zillion decks secreted on my person! I made other gaffed decks too, even, as I was starting to get familiar with a few of the wonderfully devious concepts. Jean Hugard's Encyclopedia opened my eyes Smile

And a clever system of constant deck switches would be needed to lol.

Personally, I have no trouble handing out the stripper deck to people thus far. I hand it out freely, like I say, for them to "give it a shuffle" so that should allay suspicion in most people, I hope.

What I'm trying to justify, if only to myself, is the hindu shuffle that comes with the stripper deck territory, as it is uncommon in the UK, and this may look gimmicky rather than the stripper deck per se. I don't know about other countries. I know there are 'belly strippers' in which the gimmick is perpendicular: these seem hard to come by though I'd love to try some out.

It's OK IMHO to have an ID as a visibly 'extra deck' because the notion is that you prepared it earlier, flipping one card.

And, of course, you risk being at a party where someone thrusts their own, ungaffed deck at you and asks you to 'do a trick'. Well, I do continue to work on my basic sleights and what have you, and have a few 'normal' card tricks in reserve.

If any professionals are reading this thread, I hope you would be so kind as to briefly assess the following little thought I had:

if you structured your card routine so as all the tricks where the cards could be freely shuffled were towards the beginning of the routine, would it help psychologically, as you later dropped in the Svengalis, stacked decks, roughed decks and what have you? Your audience recall having the opportunity to shuffle earlier in the show (and there are myriad little misleading bits of subtlety that spring to mind but this post is getting tl;dr as it is!) You can appear to speed things up a bit, pick up the pace, giving the impression that you're running out of alloted time and don't have the time to hand out the cards for a shuffle.

Would that be any good? Or am I talking rubbish?
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
313 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
My very not a professional opinion by anyone's terms two cents worth makes me ask if it might be better to reverse that. Do the gaff first and don't let them touch the deck. Do the sleights later and let them check the cards then. By which time you could have built up a healthy suspicion amongst the crowd.
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Aye, you could have a good idea there too. I've also been thinking about an opening idea where you force a card via Svengali deck on a lot of people and just rush through the forcing bit as 'we have a lot of people to get through' - just get them to form an orderly queue and shepherd them through 'tell me when to stop, take that card... put it back, can you please return to your seat...' I may be performing this for some children at a party this Halloween.
MMark
View Profile
New user
Edmonton, AB, Canada
39 Posts

Profile of MMark
Based on my own experience, people get bored of card tricks very quickly. I will do one or two card tricks at most. I prefer the brainwave deck because their named card is face up AND has a different color back than the rest of the deck. It always seems to stun people.

You can also do a similar trick with a normal deck of cards, where the spectator's card is the only one face up in the deck. It's a very simple trick. I read about it in Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic.

Until I joined this forum I never even thought of the invisible/brainwave deck as an out. What a great idea!

Mark
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Yeah it's a great feeling knowing the ID is there to back me up, and I actually can feel quite bold doing my other card stuff. So even if I don't use it, it's a great psychological boon, an 'invisible confidence builder'

BTW, I was in my local 'pound shop' or discount emporium today and I got a bunch of card charms. These ones are like miniature spanners (or wrenches to those outside the UK?), pliers and hammers - presumably for making a greetings card for a DIY enthusiast or something. Great for sticking in a thumb tip Smile
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Oh yeah, and also on my pound shop excursion I got some miniature padlocks; the keys fit in a TT but the padlocks themselves won't. And a 'telescopic magnet' - a little neodymium magnet on a retractable baton - and other fun stuff, for a few quid Smile
Mind
View Profile
New user
Bedfordshire, UK
76 Posts

Profile of Mind
I don't do a lot of card work, but the ID is something I've used many times. Although I've always used it as the main effect and not as the 'out'.

I also heartily recommend the mirage deck.
Flamel
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of Flamel
Futurist, out of curiosity, what do you have in mind for the telescoping magnet?
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Hi Flamel. Well, I'm not quite sure yet, I just got the feeling it could come in handy someday when putting a gimmick together. I have had an acute case of "magpie mentality" since getting seriously into this magic thing! It's not too hazardous though because it mainly strikes in pound shops; the urge to buy a few bright shiny things strikes...

Mind, I did the ID for my mother within half an hour of getting my deck like an overexcited noob. I flashed a bit of the gimmick of course, but she didn't notice, or say so at any rate, and she thought it was amazing. The point is I noticed, and so I practised the finesse in secret, and I haven't actually got round to performing it again yet, though it's hopefully going to be awesome when I do... The Mirage does indeed sound like a cool deck. I do currently have what it takes to make one in my flat right now, though I'm going to thoroughly test the 'stuff' on a few Jokers and advertising cards first to make sure I get it right.
Mind
View Profile
New user
Bedfordshire, UK
76 Posts

Profile of Mind
Because they're so cheap to buy I just find it easier to buy one than make my own. For me it was a lot of hassle to make one up..but then again I'm just lazy! Smile

Good luck with it!
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Cheers! Well, with my birthday recently, I ended up with (amongst other things) three Svengali decks, I could convert one into a Mirage deck... I also have another idea for a more personalised gimmicked deck that is a bit similar to the Mirage concept.

I'm loving playing around with my TT in the mirror right now, appearing and disappearing the tiny wrench, pliers and hammer, and other small objects. I think I'm becoming a thumb-tip-o-holic Smile
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
313 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
LOL, I have bought a couple of effects online that could of very well been stuff that was in the pound shop... cheap rubbish that are only props for well known tricks that could be performed with things found in the house, or the pound shop...
othelo68
View Profile
Regular user
North dakota
174 Posts

Profile of othelo68
There are some really good tricks for a stripper deck and a Svengali deck by oz pearlman from penguin. pretty sure its probably published someplace else also but still worth looking at! sometimes cheap props can be a good thing in magic.
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Quote:
On 2009-10-29 18:59, othelo68 wrote:
There are some really good tricks for a stripper deck and a Svengali deck by oz pearlman from penguin. pretty sure its probably published someplace else also but still worth looking at! sometimes cheap props can be a good thing in magic.

There's a 'little voice' that goes off in my head, intuition maybe, like eg) with the telescopic magnet thingy, that says "I could use that, I don't know quite what for yet, but..."

Pound shops, and their more unusual items, ftw!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Without calling any names, it would surprise you how many professionals who can make a regular deck of cards sing and dance, still use stripper decks on stage. There're a great tool.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Quote:
On 2009-11-06 12:48, Bob Sanders wrote:
Without calling any names, it would surprise you how many professionals who can make a regular deck of cards sing and dance, still use stripper decks on stage. There're a great tool.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

They are indeed. I'm loving mine. I have read many things on the net that say something to the effect of "you'll be wanting to put away your stripper deck as you progress at cards, and use a real man's ungaffed deck!" I never really understood that sentiment myself. The end-effect is all that matters IMHO, and as long as the magician is being creative with the stripper deck - like professionals surely are - the deck is amazing in the possibilities it offers. So much more than "pick a card... oh let me just close this fan up for a second as you look at it - now where was I? OK, let me fan the cards out again..." Smile
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Quote:
On 2009-10-30 05:56, The Futurist wrote:
There's a 'little voice' that goes off in my head, intuition maybe, like eg) with the telescopic magnet thingy, that says "I could use that, I don't know quite what for yet, but..."

Pound shops, and their more unusual items, ftw!

And on that subject, that little voice told me to buy some gelatine recently. I haven't a clue what to do with it! If anyone has any clever ideas, without exposing any marketed effects or anything like that, I'd be eternally grateful if you PM'd me with your thoughts. Cheers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Stripper decks ftw! and other fantastic props (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL